View Full Version : Large storage cards for h4155

linuxadept
03-06-2007, 05:00 AM
Hello,

I've been asking myself what would be the largest SD card for my iPAQ H4155.
I'm currently using a 1GB SD card without problems but I always need more and more storage capacity (I'm using it primary for mp3 playback but I also need many programs installed).

So far as I've read from other forums there could be problems with cards larger than 1GB.
Since I'm not yet convinced I want to ask someone who used cards larger than 1GB on his iPAQ (the larger the better), if they work flawless, how much power they drain, name of the brand, etc.

Thanks!

linuxadept
03-09-2007, 08:53 PM
I've read on some forums that there were cases when 4GB cards worked without problems - already ordered one (Kingston) I only have to wait and see if it's really going to work or not.
I will post my results here as well with the card's S/N and other info.

psyjohn
03-10-2007, 12:17 AM
I also have a 415x and I've been using a 2GB SD card for about a year for music only. I use a 1GB card for regular apps. Before I moved up to the 2GB I used the 1GB for music and a 512 card for apps. Since the switch I haven't noticed any difference in speed or battery drain. There may be some difference in those areas but it isn't perceptible to me during use. If you jump to a 4GB card I'd like to hear how it works out for you.

linuxadept
03-13-2007, 03:05 AM
It didn't work :(
Card doesn't get recognized by the PDA. I also tried it in my photo camera but with no luck...
The bright side is that the card works with my PC, it got recognized by the card reader.
Now I wanna try to partition the card, maybe this way it will work on my PDA, the only thing is I have to figure it out how to do it (Partition Magic and Acronis Disk Server won't see the card either)

Nurhisham Hussein
03-13-2007, 05:39 AM
linuxadept, is the card you have by any chance marked as SDHC? That would explain the incompatibility - very few PDAs (actually only a couple of very recent ones) can read SDHC cards.

Cybrid
03-13-2007, 08:29 PM
Now I wanna try to partition the card, maybe this way it will work on my PDA, the only thing is I have to figure it out how to do it (Partition Magic and Acronis Disk Server won't see the card either)Yes, it is possible...Use at your own risk. http://www.pscience5.net/CFPartition.htm

linuxadept
03-13-2007, 08:53 PM
linuxadept, is the card you have by any chance marked as SDHC? That would explain the incompatibility - very few PDAs (actually only a couple of very recent ones) can read SDHC cards.

I couldn't find such inscription on the card but it could be a SDHC...

linuxadept
03-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Now I wanna try to partition the card, maybe this way it will work on my PDA, the only thing is I have to figure it out how to do it (Partition Magic and Acronis Disk Server won't see the card either)Yes, it is possible...Use at your own risk. http://www.pscience5.net/CFPartition.htm

I've done it using paragon partition manger but it still won't get recognized :(
Do you have any idea if a 2GB card will work with my 4155?

thank you!

linuxadept
03-14-2007, 03:55 AM
In the end I managed to trade it with a 2GB Sandisk card. Works great!
Conclusion: 2GB+ cards won't work with 415x series!

Regards!

Nurhisham Hussein
03-14-2007, 04:46 AM
In the end I managed to trade it with a 2GB Sandisk card. Works great!

Glad you found a solution!

Conclusion: 2GB+ cards won't work with 415x series!

I wouldn't go that far - 4GB SD cards are a bit of a fudge by card manufacturers. That size storage isn't actually supported under SDA 1.0 (the original SD card specification) which stops at 2GB, so to achieve the higher capacity required some non-conforming solutions. So it's quite possible to have one brand's 4GB card working with your iPaq where another wouldn't. Unfortunately as you found out, the only way to check compatibility is by trial and error.

With SDHC cards (SDA 2.0), larger storage sizes are possible up to 32GB. The only problem is that you need an SDHC compatible slot which are only just starting to be introduced in mobile devices.