View Full Version : Net Compact Framework 2.0 Newbie question

stoker
03-02-2007, 06:50 AM
Just loaded on to my HTC Tytn..Still do not have a clue to what it is good for (except taking up space on my storage card). I think I can do RSS feeds on to my unit (a subject again of which I know very little on). Is this software Net Compact Framework for developers, or is this a real useful piece of software that I can use for the future? I have Avantgo to bring in interesting stories (using my Activsync),, is that using the same principle more or less? If anyone can show me a link, or a story explaining this in simple mans language, would be appreciated. Thanks

Nurhisham Hussein
03-02-2007, 09:52 AM
:?: Wait a minute, if you have a TyTN, then you already have .Net CF2 onboard already!

If you want to know what it's for, you need it to run programs that are written in that language.

As for RSS, try here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_(file_format)). Avantgo is different in many ways - the channels are predefined (i.e. you need to subscribe through Avantgo), and the content is downloaded for off-line viewing. With RSS, it's a direct subscription and the content depends on what the feed/website owner puts into it - sometimes you get the whole article, but mostly just the headlines and maybe the first few lines. While this means you'll need to be online to get the articles you want, it does allow you to rapidly go through a lot of news articles and just focus on what you want without having to pull down all the content. That makes RSS a lot more flexible.

Darius Wey
03-02-2007, 10:05 AM
In simple non-geek speak, there are some third-party applications that require the .NET Compact Framework to function. You may not need it now, but you may in the future, so it's probably worth keeping. Oh, and as far as AvantGo and RSS are concerned, the framework usually has no direct relationship with them (there's an exception in the case of the latter and that is if your RSS client relies on .NET).

Darius Wey
03-02-2007, 10:06 AM
:?: Wait a minute, if you have a TyTN, then you already have .Net CF2 onboard already!

Not necessarily. Microsoft doesn't bundle the .NET CF 2.0 with Windows Mobile 5.0, and unless HTC includes it in all its ROMs, it shouldn't be on the TyTN already.

stoker
03-03-2007, 04:20 PM
I had noticed ,in the remove programs area that it had showed up as an added program ,but then looked in my programs, and settings to see whether there was an icon involved in the download of this program. I didn't find it, so I am guessing it must be incorporated,, after my installation, somewhere in the browser area. Looks like , I will be better off just toying around with this framework program on a desktop platform. I do see plenty of RSS small logos on different websites that I open including PPCThoughts, so I will tinker around with it there.

Darius Wey
03-04-2007, 05:01 AM
I had noticed ,in the remove programs area that it had showed up as an added program ,but then looked in my programs, and settings to see whether there was an icon involved in the download of this program. I didn't find it, so I am guessing it must be incorporated,, after my installation, somewhere in the browser area.

The .NET CF is not supposed to appear in the Programs and Settings menus. If it's already incorporated in your device, then your PC will not allow you to proceed with installation.

stoker
03-08-2007, 03:24 AM
Folder created in Windows in my Tytn .NET CF2.0,, obviously created when I installed the .net Framework,, I gather that, as said before, if I used this program,, eventually something would appear in this folder.
Also,, I have some RSS feeds (including PocketPC thoughts) on my PC,, and I thought I would copy from the address dialogue or drag and drop the address of the RSS feed into the favorites on my device, but contrary to other favorites that I have done the same thing with,, they would not copy or wouldn't allow a drop into favorites.. What should I do to have access to RSS feeds appearing in my device? Thanks (I know I might have started another thread for this question.)

Darius Wey
03-08-2007, 06:37 AM
What should I do to have access to RSS feeds appearing in my device? Thanks (I know I might have started another thread for this question.)

You'll need an RSS client such as NewsBreak (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,54237&/newsbreak_2.0_reviewed.htm). In fact, that one I just mentioned is very feature rich and available at a discounted price for a limited time. It's worth checking out.

signs
03-09-2007, 03:06 PM
What should I do to have access to RSS feeds appearing in my device? Thanks (I know I might have started another thread for this question.)

You'll need an RSS client such as NewsBreak (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,54237&/newsbreak_2.0_reviewed.htm). In fact, that one I just mentioned is very feature rich and available at a discounted price for a limited time. It's worth checking out.

Darius The Great,
I want to instal a progam on my Kjam to enable the A2DP and AVRCP, I have the program, but it needs .net compact framework 2.0 installed before it. Could you direct me to the correct download link from microsoft, since they have many and I am not sure which one?

Darius Wey
03-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Could you direct me to the correct download link from microsoft, since they have many and I am not sure which one?

The .NET CF 2.0 SP1 Redistributable (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0c1b0a88-59e2-4eba-a70e-4cd851c5fcc4&DisplayLang=en) is the one to get.

signs
03-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Thank you Sir very much, not only is your name great but you are great as well (I am sure you know the History of Darius the Great and even Cirus the Great, for that matter)

It seems in the sp1 they have fixed a lot of memory leak issues, which is good for the A2DP emplementation I am looking for.

Could you kindly tell me what about this one:
It is sp2 with a new date march-8-2007 that is 2 days ago?
Here is the link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=aea55f2f-07b5-4a8c-8a44-b4e1b196d5c0&DisplayLang=en

Darius Wey
03-11-2007, 02:58 AM
Could you kindly tell me what about this one:
It is sp2 with a new date march-8-2007 that is 2 days ago?
Here is the link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=aea55f2f-07b5-4a8c-8a44-b4e1b196d5c0&DisplayLang=en

Nice catch. This is brand new, so get this one over the one I linked you to earlier.

signs
03-11-2007, 07:23 AM
Will do.
Thanks again.

stoker
03-11-2007, 07:51 AM
Did you see the Fixed Bugs in this new version!! Man, that's the longest list I have ever seen.