View Full Version : Using a Pocket PC as a simple dictaphone?

JamesS
02-26-2007, 09:36 PM
Hi,

I've just started a new job involving a reasonable commute by car and I'd like to use my PDA as a simple dictaphone to record brief thoughts and ideas whilst I'm driving.

The simpler solution the better - ideally I want to just press a hardware button and record for a few seconds.

I've done some digging around on the subject already and found this http://pocketpcmag.com/blogs/menneisyys/112005SoundRecorderApps.asp - an excellent article related to the subject by Menneisyys. I noticed from this that the built-in notes app with WM5 can potentially do what I'm looking for. HOWEVER I can't figure out how to assign a hardware button to the record function on my machine (Acer n311, WM5).

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Nurhisham Hussein
02-27-2007, 02:02 AM
Hi James, have you tried reassigning the buttons through the button settings? It should be in Start->Settings->Personal tab->Buttons. The drop down menu should include the 'Record' command.

JamesS
02-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Thanks for your help Nurhisham.

Unfortunately the drop down menu doesn't include the 'Record' command... not sure why?

Can I change this?

Nurhisham Hussein
02-27-2007, 12:47 PM
That's weird - I've got three devices, and all of'em have Record as assignable to a button. To be fair, none of them are WM5 so it may be a 'feature' of the OS, or a peculiarity of Acer's. I can't confirm that for you one way or the other.

185driver
02-27-2007, 02:58 PM
I too have the Acer n311 and cannot assign a button to the Voice Recorder app. My old iPAQ H3835 had a dedicated button for recording. Not sure why Acer is keeping users away from an easy mod like this.

JamesS
02-27-2007, 06:04 PM
Why would Acer strip this function out? Seems strange... :(

Anyone with any technical knowledge know of a registry hack or way around this?

Thanks, James

AESM
03-03-2007, 09:44 PM
http://www.vitotechnology.com/en/products/audionotes.html

I have hp 6945 with W5 and could not assign hardware button for notes recording.

However, the above vito notes link has a great program that allows you to assign it to hardware key.

Now, I simply press the side key which activates audio notes in automatic voice recording mode. You can also use it to record phone conversations which is great when receiving directions/ or trying to remember orders from your boss while on the phone! Ha!

hope this works!

AESM

JamesS
03-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Thanks for your help AESM!

I downloaded the Audio Notes trial over the weekend and it's doing the job well.

James