View Full Version : Handheld Suggestions: Windows Mobile or back to Palm?

MLO
02-26-2007, 06:43 PM
I hesitate to post this, as I'm sure many "recommend a Pocket PC" posts come across this forum. In my defense, I did hit up a few review sites (including this one). Apparently I've been out of the game for too long because the array of options I came across were overwhelming.

These are the requirements I'm looking at:
1. Must have wireless
2. Must have latest version of Windows Mobile 5.0
3. Must be upgradeable (since WM 6.0 just came out)
4. Should have Bluetooth
5. Should have at least 32MB RAM

Here's what I'd be using it for
1. Repligo note taking and highlighting
2. Reading e-books
3. Meeting notes
4. Light browsing (basically only if I absolutely have to).

I was looking at the rx1950 and the rx2495. I was also semi-seriously thinking of going back to Palm, but as I type this I'm realizing that quite a few of the essential apps I use aren't available on the Palm.

EDIT: Brighthand has a nifty feature for grabbing reviews which I'm currently looking through. It appears, according to the dates of the reviews that both the rx1950 and the rx2495 are long in the tooth...which probably means they wont' be upgraded.

MLO
02-26-2007, 07:02 PM
This deserves a completely new post: What on earth has HP done to their handheld case designs????

It may be just me, and if so, please feel free to chime in, but the only HP handheld I see that doesn't look like a brick is the rx1950, which is one of the lower end models.

Nurhisham Hussein
02-27-2007, 02:10 AM
I was looking at the rx1950 and the rx2495. I was also semi-seriously thinking of going back to Palm, but as I type this I'm realizing that quite a few of the essential apps I use aren't available on the Palm.

Problem with going 'back' to Palm is that OS development there is completely dead, unless you count ALS.

EDIT: Brighthand has a nifty feature for grabbing reviews which I'm currently looking through. It appears, according to the dates of the reviews that both the rx1950 and the rx2495 are long in the tooth...which probably means they wont' be upgraded.

Verrry long in the tooth - the 2495 is a WM5 version of a WM2003SE device and the 1950 was one of the very first WM5 devices. Have you looked at the newer iPaqs like the 5450 Media Companion which was released a few months back? Although, given HP's recent track record, I wouldn't bet on an OS upgrade for those either.

isajoo
02-27-2007, 09:16 AM
i will just get to the dirt truth...ppc's are like toilet paper when it comes to upgrades...they are a one time use. and the hp1950 is actually the date they made it...google hp4150...now that was the real deal. if u really dont need a new pda NOW, just wait to get one with wm6 preinstalled...with all the new bugs for you to discover. i find the less i use my ppc, the happier i am...less time spending fixing freeze ups/customize GUI. but forget about palm...ever palm is switching their OS to wm.

well i am done..gonna stop before my screen freezes...or the battery mysteriously goes dead from a full charge states. l8r.

MLO
02-27-2007, 05:26 PM
i will just get to the dirt truth...ppc's are like toilet paper when it comes to upgrades...they are a one time use. and the hp1950 is actually the date they made it...google hp4150...now that was the real deal. if u really dont need a new pda NOW, just wait to get one with wm6 preinstalled...with all the new bugs for you to discover. i find the less i use my ppc, the happier i am...less time spending fixing freeze ups/customize GUI. but forget about palm...ever palm is switching their OS to wm.

well i am done..gonna stop before my screen freezes...or the battery mysteriously goes dead from a full charge states. l8r.

I actually have a 4150 and I hate the idea of giving it up. But the screen is having problems with sensitivity in the text writing/keyboard area, and some apps I'm looking to install (cough OneNote Mobile cough) are only available for WM 5.

I'm willing to look at handhelds outside HP...I only mentioned them because I have the 4150. If anyone has field experience with handhelds by other manufacturers, please PLEASE chime in.

MLO
02-27-2007, 05:36 PM

Problem with going 'back' to Palm is that OS development there is completely dead, unless you count ALS.

Verrry long in the tooth - the 2495 is a WM5 version of a WM2003SE device and the 1950 was one of the very first WM5 devices. Have you looked at the newer iPaqs like the 5450 Media Companion which was released a few months back? Although, given HP's recent track record, I wouldn't bet on an OS upgrade for those either.

I went directly to HP's handheld page and they don't list the 5450 at all. They have 4 straight Pocket PC options (i.e. no phone or camera). One of the options is the rx1955...is this the same as the long in the tooth rx1950 or is it a recent model?

I hate that it's hard to find out when a model was released.

Nurhisham Hussein
02-28-2007, 04:31 AM
Ugh, sorry - my mistake, it should be the 5900 (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/215348-215348-64929-314903-3329749-3263043.html), not 5400. We highlighted it a few months back.

And the ALS reference in my first post should actually be ALP. :oops:

The rx1955 and rx1950 are identical - the difference in numbering is HP's way of tracking through which channel they sell their PDAs.

MLO
02-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Ugh, sorry - my mistake, it should be the 5900 (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/215348-215348-64929-314903-3329749-3263043.html), not 5400. We highlighted it a few months back.

And the ALS reference in my first post should actually be ALP. :oops:

The rx1955 and rx1950 are identical - the difference in numbering is HP's way of tracking through which channel they sell their PDAs.

See...that device (the 5900) is out of my price range and has a lot of features that I would never use.

Are there any HP devices that have the same or similar form factor to the old 4150? Or by any other manufacturer?

I remember Toshiba used to make one...apparently they've gotten out of the handheld business.

Would it really be so bad to get the rx1955 or should I just wait for new devices with WM6?

boyetc
03-01-2007, 05:16 AM
look for any of the following brands of pocket PCs;

Dopods, HTC, O2 or i-mate

these are the great Pocket Pcs now in the market and most of them are pocket pc phones.

they run on WM5 while others coming out now are in WM6.

you wont go wrong with windows mobile.

cheers

Nurhisham Hussein
03-01-2007, 06:50 AM
See...that device (the 5900) is out of my price range and has a lot of features that I would never use.

Are there any HP devices that have the same or similar form factor to the old 4150? Or by any other manufacturer?

You could look at the 5900's little brother (http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/handhelds/handhelds/1/storefronts/FA782AA%2523ABA) - it's the same price as the 1955, but with better overall specs, although with a smaller screen. I can't think of any others in that price range (there are a lot more options at $100-$200 more).

I remember Toshiba used to make one...apparently they've gotten out of the handheld business.

They've just returned - but with very high end (and high-priced) phone devices.

Would it really be so bad to get the rx1955 or should I just wait for new devices with WM6?

From user feedback here - it might not be worth the aggravation to get the 1955 - 32MB is uncomfortably low for WM5. If you're willing to up your budget a little, take a look at Dell's Axims - they're bigger, but not much more expensive and have miles greater functionality.

Dopods, HTC, O2 or i-mate

They only sell PDAphones, all of which (unlocked) would be too expensive, unless MLO likes being locked up in a contract.

ppcinfo
03-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Several months ago I became frustrated with my Dell Axim x50v due to the fact that ActiveSync kept "unsyncing" and losing several of my important meetings and contact information. The battery also kept draining at critical times during a business trip where I couldn't look up keep contacts. So, with all my frustration I decided to investigate getting a Palm TX device to replace it.

I actually purchased one and used it for two weeks to see if it could meet my particular needs. The Palm TX does indeed have some very nice features (e.g., the WiFi worked great without going through a lengthy setup screens, the device was slim and light, the battery life was very good, etc.). Nearly all of my applications that I used on my Dell could be duplicated on the Palm TX, so this was a very usable device.

Then came the downfalls:

1) The Pocket PC has a very good file structure system (similar to the Windows Machine) which makes syncing of files very easy. The Palm stores all files into database files, making it difficult to sync files and/or view their file stucture on the Palm.

2) The syncing of Outlook data is limited, where certain fields in Outlook would not sync over.

3) The User Interface is somewhat primitive compared to the newer Pocket PC device (even the 2002/2003 OS), which can be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective.

Ultimately, I decided to return the Palm TX and go back to my Dell Axim device. Item (1) above was a real deal breaker, since I use my handheld device to store various files (MS-Word, text files, PDF files) and the Palm didn't do a good job of this. I now carry a 2nd battery when I'm on business trips to get around the dead battery situation.

Recently, I acquired a Moto-Q phone which runs the Windows Mobile 5 OS, and I'm surprised how much I like using it. Although the screen is much smaller than my Dell Axim and I don't have a touchscreen for input, It seems to be a very good "convergence" device for my business needs. Of course, I'll still bring my Dell Axim along for watching movies on long plane flights!

ppcinfo