View Full Version : Best way to get S-Video or RCA output?

localfiend
02-21-2007, 07:12 PM
Wondering what everyone uses. Specifically this will be for my Axim x51v - I want to know what kind of converter I'll need as the only thing I can find is vga output cables.

Cybrid
02-21-2007, 07:47 PM
Wondering what everyone uses. Specifically this will be for my Axim x51v - I want to know what kind of converter I'll need as the only thing I can find is vga output cables.
Well this might not be the best of help but a quick google (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=VGA+to+rca+output&meta=) since I was curious led me to here (http://forums.devshed.com/multimedia-hardware-107/graphics-card-vga-out-rca-composite-video-on-tv-325641.html) which lead to here (http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=579600/search=vga).

Sven Johannsen
02-22-2007, 06:56 AM

Don't know that everyone uses anything but what the unit is designed to do. It directly supports VGA output, and all you need is the cable. If you have to have video or S-video you kind of have two options. One is a VGA to video/S-video converter. Those are easily obtainable, normally designed for a PC or laptop, are generally at least as big as your Dell, and output quality comensurate with their cost.

The second option is harder to come by these days, as I don''t think they make it/them anymore. Colorgraphics made a CF card called the Voyager which was a VGA/video/S-Video card. Beats me if there are drivers that work on WM5. Worked fine on my X50v (WM2003). The other popular card was the Margi Presenter, but it only supported VGA, not video or S-Video. I think there was also a Fly-Presenter CF card that also worked pre WM5, but all these disappeared before WM5.

localfiend
02-22-2007, 11:34 PM
Thats pretty sad that they lost all that functionality when they switched to a newer operating system. Downright pathetic.

Ah well - So about my only option is one of the converter boxes. Unless the axim supports svideo output through its vga cable. I know that most computer video cards now support s-video formatted information even if they don't have a hardware s-video out.

Anyone know if the axim sends the s-vido information through its VGA out? If that happened I could simply use a cable that switches from VGA to S-Video/RCA instead of a convertor.

Sven Johannsen
02-23-2007, 03:06 AM
Thats pretty sad that they lost all that functionality when they switched to a newer operating system. Downright pathetic.

What do you think was lost due to the OS. They always had a VGA capability and never had any composite or S-Video. Nothing changed for Dell, except the OS was upgraded. The folks that made the CF cards quit making them before that and naturally didn't upgrade the drivers.

Anyone know if the axim sends the s-vido information through its VGA out? If that happened I could simply use a cable that switches from VGA to S-Video/RCA instead of a convertor.

I would guess it doesn't as the X50 has been around since Sep '04 and nobody, not even Dell has produced a cable to expose it.

isajoo
02-23-2007, 07:42 AM
with my toshiba vga out i tried to use a simple cable vga to svideo and it did not work. still looking for a simple way. also want it for my laptop which only has vga out. not really a NEED, but more of a WANT hobby.

Brad Adrian
02-24-2007, 02:57 AM
I agree that S-video would be nice to have, on occasion. My guess is, though, that the vast majority of users who need any kind of video-out either feel the standard VGA is okay, or tend to use something like a projector, for which S-video is usually overkill.