View Full Version : Managing Navigation Maps on PPC?

JPD6825
02-21-2007, 06:03 AM
At Christmas I bought Delorme Street Atlas 2007 and an iNet BT GPS receiver (i-Blue 737 2nd ed.)

I still not an expert on the software... but it seems tedious getting the maps of interest over to the PPC. So I wonder if someone could give tips on the most efficient way to manage map files.

For instance if I choose to export my entire home state map to a PPC file, Delorme gives me a warning that using very large files might not be a good idea. Considering this an experiment, I proceeded; the result was a file of ~ 100MB. I have not tried to use it on the PPC yet.

On the other hand, if you export a metro area map for a mid-sized city, the file might only be 3 - 6 MB.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to go? i.e. Keep file size below X MB.

Is there some way to get large areas of the US (at least a few states) exported to PPC files without spending hours and hours at my desktop working through the process of selecting and then exporting the maps?

FYI, I am using a Dell Axim X51v with WM2003SE.

Advice from your experience is appreciated.

Cybrid
03-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Depending on device, software and other considerations, the ideal map size would vary. Ex.: What if the software is written in a way that forces the map to load all at once. That way you'll need 100Mb of RAM.

Pocket Street and Trips is similar in this respect. That you need to custom cut your own maps for export to the PPC. It limits map sizes.

Pharos' Ostia has province/county wide maps for N. America and @ 20-30Mb. I've successfully run them on 64Mb devices fully loaded with other stuff.

I'd make a backup of your device and then, progessively run larger maps until you find a good balance.