View Full Version : Registry Fix for MS Money 2006 and MS Money for PocketPC 2006 in Windows Vista with Windows Mobile Device Center

BigBadBrahma
02-18-2007, 12:19 AM
Registry Fix for MS Money 2006 and MS Money for PocketPC 2006 in Windows Vista with Windows Mobile Device Center

For WHATEVER reason, Microsoft dropped support for one of its most useful, albeit free, utilities I have EVER used, and used EVERY SINGLE DAY, ALL THROUGHOUT THE DAY, since It has been available: synching Microsoft Money 2006 with my PocketPC. I have purchased EVERY VERSION of Microsoft Money since its inception, and have truly used it to my benefit, and was ECSTATIC when they brought about the ability to synch that great product with my PocketPC by installing the freely downloadable "Money for PocketPC" versions. Truly the mark of mobility, no matter how small, it has been extremely useful. That is, UNTIL the birth of Microsoft Windows Vista's WDMC- "Windows Mobile Device Center", the ridiculous, cartoon-like follow-on to ActiveSync for PocketPC.

Until now, I have seen no fix for not syncing Money with the PocketPC, including ANY offering from the supposed "hard-working" Microsoft WMDC developers listed in their forums at http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2007/02/01/windows-mobile-device-center-rtms.aspx. They have even removed my posts from their blog asking about it AND condemning them for it. I have also been criticized on other groups looking for support for this little program, but I discovered the following simple procedure allowed "Money for PocketPC 2006" to be picked up by WMDC, and it works, so far, flawlessly.

Please remember that for even more ridiculous reasons I would never understand, Microsoft Money 2007 DOES NOT support synching with PocketPC in ANY form, and I can’t help with that. So Microsoft gets NO additional revenue from me for newer Microsoft Money versions or for upgrading my PocketPC past Windows Mobile 2003 until the newer products once again support synching with the Money products. So, it is my hope this procedure restores your ability within Vista to synch your PocketPC with Microsoft Money 2006, and you can get on with your daily life.

To those of you AT Microsoft: I think your decision to stop supporting PocketPC synching with your Money products is ludicrous. A small decision like this is precedent. This decision, and any other like it, moves away from your corporation's "Mobile Strategy" completely. I have NO IDEA how you could in ANY FORM move away from that mobile concept, but the WMDC and/or Money Project Managers need to BE FIRED for not just missing, but completely IGNORING the mobility concept, AND removing a previously existing functionality. In short- you Microsoft WMDC and/or Money Product Managers have REALLY pissed me off.

And now; the simple registry fix procedure:

Note:
This procedure contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure that you back up your system before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. It is HIGHLY recommended that you create a System Restore Point in BEFORE proceeding. I make NO guarantees regarding your particular outcome, and I will NOT be responsible for anything that happens in the course of you following this procedure. However, it is pretty darn simple.

This procedure works and was tested ONLY with:
A. Microsoft Money 2006
B. Microsoft Money 2006 for PocketPC
C. Windows Mobile Device Center "Release" version.
D. HP iPAQ model 2215 with Windows Mobile 2003.
E. Windows Vista Enterprise Release version.
F. Microsoft Money on my system was installed to- "c:\Program files\Microsoft Money 2006". Make a note of where on your PC you installed Money.

1. Reboot your system, logon, and leaving all applications closed, create a System Restore Point that you can revert to if anything goes wrong. This is a best practice before you ever make ANY changes to your system, so do it often because it works.
2. Install (OH GOD!) Windows Mobile Device Center "Release" version. Do some initial test syncs with your PocketPC with mail, notes etc..
3. Install and configure Microsoft Money 2006, configure with your financial information and BACK IT UP! Remember- Money 2007 DOES NOT sync with ANYTHING!
4. Install "Money for PocketPC 2006" to your PocketPC. You will most likely receive an error dialog stating:
"File(s) failed to self-register: "c:\Program files\Microsoft Money 2006\MNYCoreFiles\ActiveDsk.dll"
5. Ignore that message, and close the dialog.
6. Reboot your system.
7. Logon and open Registry Editor with all applications closed.
8. Navigate to the following registry key:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Services\Synchronization\Objects"
9. Right-click on the "Objects" key, and select "New > Key".
10. Name the Key "Microsoft Money Data".
11. Right-click on the empty "Default" string value that is already there and select "Modify...".
12. Enter "Microsoft Money Data" for the name and click "OK".
13. Right-click on the new "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Services\Synchronization\Objects\Microsoft Money Data" key and select "New > String Value". Name the new String Value "DefaultIcon". Click "OK".
14. Right-click on the "DefaultIcon" String Value and enter "c:\Program files\Microsoft Money 2006\MNYCoreFiles\ActiveDsk.dll,-8002". Do this PRECISELY. It MUST match the actual path where you installed Microsoft Money on your PC and where the ActiveDsk.dll file is located.
15. Right-click on the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Services\Synchronization\Objects\Microsoft Money Data" key and select "New > DWORD (32 bit) Value". Name the new DWORD "Dirty". Click "OK".
16. Leave the DWORD "Dirty" as a hex value of "0".
17. Right-click on the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Services\Synchronization\Objects\Microsoft Money Data" key and select "New > DWORD (32 bit) Value". Name the new DWORD "Disabled". Click "OK".
18. Leave the DWORD "Dirty" as a hex value of "0".
19. Right-click on the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Services\Synchronization\Objects\Microsoft Money Data" key and select "New > String Value". Name the new String Value "Display Name". Click "OK".
20. Right-click on the "Display Name" String Value and enter "Microsoft Money Data".
21. Right-click on the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Services\Synchronization\Objects\Microsoft Money Data" key and select "New > String Value". Name the new String Value "Plural Name". Click "OK".
22. Right-click on the "Plural Name" String Value and enter "Microsoft Money Data".
23. Right-click on the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Services\Synchronization\Objects\Microsoft Money Data" key and select "New > String Value". Name the new String Value "Store". Click "OK".
24. Right-click on the "Store" String Value and enter "MS.WinCE.Money2000".
25. Close Registry Editor.
26. Reboot your system.
27. Logon, sync your PocketPC. Open WMDC and look at "Mobile Device Settings", and open "Change Content Sync Settings". You should see "Microsoft Money Data" listed and selected. Your PocketPC with "Money for PocketPC 2006" should have received your Microsoft Money 2006 information!

Notes:
1. The dialog "File(s) failed to self-register: "c:\Program files\Microsoft Money 2006\MNYCoreFiles\ActiveDsk.dll" when installing "Money for PocketPC 2006" eludes that the .DLL file "ActiveDsk.dll", did not register properly. I have tried to register the .DLL by using the command "regsvr32" and the proper path, but I receive the following message:
"The call to DLLRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80040201"
So it won't register, but the synching works. If anyone has ideas about this, I'm interested in how to register that .DLL and why in won't on it's own or by trying to properly register it.
2. Is Microsoft attempting to block this useful program from installing?
3. Why DID "Money for PocketPC 2006" WORK CORRECTLY in the Beta versions of WMDC?
4. How HARD would it have been for Microsoft to do this?
5. If you feel this posted procedure is useful, I would ask that if you propagate it around, that you PLEASE leave my comments intact. I ask that my comments to Microsoft about the dropping of ANY functionality within Windows Vista should be passed on, read and understood.
6. If you REALLY find this useful, why not make a donation to me of .25 on PayPal? MS took this away, and I brought it back. And I can REALLY use the money more than they can. They ought to see someone making a paltry some for fixing this anyway the lazy, thieving ….

Good luck, and Happy Money Management!

[email protected]