View Full Version : Help with replacing cracked screen for 6818

jojo
02-15-2007, 04:12 AM
My worse fear have finally come to past when my wife dropped her 3 months old 6818 from the desk to the carpet floor and it cracked all the way across the middle. The lower half of the screen is still good, but the upper half is a mangled mass of blood red, black and white. Who say that they don't bleed? I'm disappointed that it cracked so easily given it was only 90cm fall onto carpet, my Loox 720 had worse fall than that.

Back to the pressing matter, I called HP. They charge $70 to give a quote, tried to get a ball park figure from the phone operator and she wasn't budging only to say that it could cost $500+ to replace the screen. At that price I may as well get a new one. Have anyone replaced the screen for the 6818 in Sydney before and can let me know how much they paid for it?

Alternatively does anyone know where else I can get the screen replaced, local and worldwide?

I think I saw somewhere on-line that sells the screen on its own, how easy it is to replace it myself? (yes i know that would void the warranty)

Thanks heaps.
Joseph