View Full Version : Handango Enforcing Download Protection?

Nurhisham Hussein
02-08-2007, 10:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.geardiary.com/2007/02/07/handango-download-protectionlegalized-extortion' target='_blank'>http://www.geardiary.com/2007/02/07...lized-extortion</a><br /><br /></div><i>"I’ve been purchasing software from Handango for about 5 years now. I’ve got purchases that go back to May of 2002. I’ve got 8163 Reward Points saved. I WAS trying to save enough points for the $200 Handango Gift Certificate (you need 20,000 points) but I think I’m going to cut my losses, cash out my points and stop buying software from them. I tried to download a title that I purchased in November and was told that if I wanted to redownload it, it would cost me $6.99US. Back home, we call that extortion."</i><br /><br />We've had a number of threads regarding Handango over the last year with reference to their download protection scheme. For $4.99, Handango will allow you to re-download your purchased software after a 30 day grace period after your initial purchase. What many here had an issue with is that the download protection "insurance" was automatically added to your checkout basket without the customer being informed or having a chance to say no - you have to manually delete the item yourself, <b><i>if</i></b> you happened to notice it. It now appears that Handango is enforcing download protection (they weren't before) - you now <b><i>have</i></b> to pay up if you <b><i>ever</i></b> want to re-download <b><i>your</i></b> purchased software after 30 days. Chris Spera has posted a rant on this problem over at GearDiary, and covers the problem from both the perspective of a customer and a software developer. I have to personally say that I haven't an issue yet with re-downloading any of my old purchased software - but that may be just because of where I'm downloading <i>from</i>, which in itself brings up the question of the fairness of selective enforcement. Has anybody else had a problem with re-downloads from Handango?

gnad
02-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Few weeks ago, I needed the previous version of Phatpad 3.xx which is no longer on the Developer site. I went to Handango to re download, but Hangdango asked for $$$. I just logged out in disgust. I've also re download other softwares which I've bought in 2005 and ealy 2006, somes of these are OK.
Since then, I had no intention to buy from Handango again. My latest purchase is from PocketGear.

Silver5
02-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Generally, if the developer does not offer the product directly and does not take PayPal, I don't buy the software. I doubt I will ever buy from Handango again.

I must admit that a few years ago I bought a program that did not work as advertised and they were very nice about refunding my money. I have read too many bad things about the company and I generally dislike the site so I am going straight to the software makers. If they can't sell it directly then it is their loss.

buzzard
02-08-2007, 12:06 PM
I keep a copy of all my software products on my PC so that I don't have to use Handango. That also means I still have all older versions available if I need them. I always use the developer website if I have to...Handango is way down on my list of sources for these applications.

mwaldman
02-08-2007, 12:19 PM
I also ran into this issue.

ecard
02-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Same here, buy all new software at PocketGear. If they were offering a protection for all your software, for 5$, sure, but not for individual.

Rex
02-08-2007, 01:15 PM
try to post a bad review for their "top-List" products like FlexMail. It will never be published.

Try ti get a refund: Well, its up to the developer.. Only if you tell them you purchased 50 applications and will not return. And you repeat this LOAD AND CLEAR in 3 emails they will consider a refund certificate.

Hmm...

Still: Its quite convenient to buy there ... as long as they keep the download protection off...

SteveHoward999
02-08-2007, 02:04 PM
I keep a copy of all my software products on my PC so that I don't have to use Handango. That also means I still have all older versions available if I need them. I always use the developer website if I have to...Handango is way down on my list of sources for these applications.

Same here.

I don't like Handango's methods. Smacks of eBay - keep bumping up the prices so we can give the shareholders more dividend, so they'll buy more shares, so the share price goes up ...

inteller
02-08-2007, 02:19 PM
well the solution is pretty simple, tell everyone and every board you know not to buy from handango.

mbranscum
02-08-2007, 02:27 PM
I purchased software from Handango since 2001. I have bought over 100 titles from them. Since they enabled the "download protection" &lt;scam> several months ago, I have purchhased a whopping 2 titles from their site.

Usually, if I have to redownload, I get the trial copy and get the registration number from the developer site.

If possible, I will NOT buy from them again. Whoever dreamed this idea up wasn't very smart. I can't see it helping the company out in the long run with people like me who purchase a lot of PPC and smartphone software. But... maybe I'm in the minority! I don't know. :|

piperpilot
02-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Since they enabled the "download protection" &lt;scam> several months ago, I have purchhased a whopping 2 titles from their site.

Ditto here. If possible, I buy directly from the developer and keep a copy of the program on my hard drive in case I need to reinstall it. I am planning on doing a hard reset on my Axim x51v just to clean it out and I don't need the added hassle of my applications being held hostage by Handango until I pay the "ransom."

jgrnt1
02-08-2007, 03:11 PM
I also keep copies of all my software on my hard drive. However, updates are the issue for me. Most of my software was purchased through Handango. I have always been able to update the software by supplying my email address and order number. In fact, Handango's emails said to get updates this way.

Two weeks ago, I bought a new device, the Cingular 8525. I wanted to skin it with Wisbar Advance, using juni's SWDeluxe skin suite. I had an older version of the skin suite, which would not have worked properly on a phone device. Handango wanted money for the download. Luckily, I emailed Juni's site and they had already set up a backup method for downloading his stuff. His stuff is unique in that it is not sofware which requires a registration code, so you can't just download a trial version and install it over the old version on your PPC.

I hope other developers will follow juni's example, since I have a lot of software with free updates, most of which came from Handango. I will also stop purchasing software from them. ARE YOU LISTENING, HANDANGO?!?

Jason Dunn
02-08-2007, 03:13 PM
So have I mentioned that our primary software store is with Mobihand (http://software.pocketpcthoughts.com/homeSoftware.asp)? :wink: The best thing you guys can do is to make sure the companies/developers that have the product you want to buy are listed with Mobihand - it gives you another choice of where to buy your products from.

[Oh, and as much as I agree with the basis of Chris' rant (I think the download "protection" is ridiculous), backing up your data is the real solution here, not relying on someplace letting you re-download things again. What if Handango went out of business? Take a look at Carbonite (http://carbonite.jasondunn.com) (affiliate) for keeping your backups...$5 a month is a small price to pay for having a backup of all your data.]

piperpilot
02-08-2007, 03:18 PM
In addition to not buying from Handango, we should also be more vocal with Handango and let them know WHY we're not buying from them any more. They can't change if they don't know why they're losing business.

stlbud
02-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Software protection used to be free. I've used it a couple of times. Now though, it seems like extortion to pay nearly as much as the download for their "aid".

Chris Spera
02-08-2007, 03:35 PM
[Oh, and as much as I agree with the basis of Chris' rant (I think the download "protection" is ridiculous), backing up your data is the real solution here, not relying on someplace letting you re-download things again.

I completely agree; and was doing something like that. However, I lost my backup too. Unusual, yes; but it happens. I don't think I should have to pay anyone $4.99 to $6.99 PER ITEM PURCHASED to redownload something I've already purchased, especially when those fees aren't shared with the developer. In this case, I had to pay $6.99 to redownload a copy of MS Voice Command 1.6. If it were any other title, any other vendor, I would have contacted the developer for assistance.

larrywms45
02-08-2007, 03:37 PM
I just bought a new X51v Axim and wanted to move over the software I had on my X50 before I cleaned it off and give it to my wife. Three of the programs I wanted to reload on my X51 cost me $3, $3 and $6.99. Not a bad profit on something that resides on their server. It takes them more effort and causes more customer disatisfaction that one could image. I believe that maybe Exxon/Mobile must own Handango. :oops:

karen
02-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Isn't it ridiculous? Handango is becoming one of those companies who you just know has a mission statement that reads:

If it weren't for Customers, we'd be Happy. Let's do our best to get rid of them.

yawanag
02-08-2007, 04:20 PM
I consider myself a software junkie. I have a file of all my purchases and each time I add something I'm shocked at how high that folder is.

I have been ordering from Handango since I got my first PDA in 2000. Naturally, I was trying to build up points with them.

It's amazing how many times I have tried to order on a different site and what popped up but HANDANGO. I thought is there any other site? Sure there is Pocket Gear. I have purchased from them, too, but not nearly as much as from Handango.

I made a recent purchase from Pocket Gear and had to pay through Pa Pal. I had a bad experience once with Pay Pal and that is why I stayed mainly with Handango. My last purchase with Pay Pal turned up with my email address and debit card being changed and charged with phony company names. I had to get a new debit card.

Now I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place.

Thanks, Jason, I will certainly try out Mobihand.

martin_ayton
02-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Is it just me, or is there something darkly ironic in the word Handango uses to describe this 'service?' Protection. I recall other groups offering similar services under similar names in the past: 'Protection' for which you had to pay 'protection money.' I believe the law enforcement authorities involved tended to refer to it as a 'protection racket.'

Handango's Marketing Department... I don't know, not only is this an idea guaranteed to annoy repeat customers, but the title they chose demonstrates a level of ignorance which is breathtaking.

Or perhaps they aren't ignorant - they are aware of the implications and they really do hate their customers. :roll:

inteller
02-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Isn't it ridiculous? Handango is becoming one of those companies who you just know has a mission statement that reads:

If it weren't for Customers, we'd be Happy. Let's do our best to get rid of them.

what a coincidence. Thats the same mission statement used by millions of companies......no longer in business.

Paragon
02-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Hmmm...I just went and downloaded an application I bought a couple of years ago, and it worked fine. It seems I'm ok so far.....no problems YET. Emphasis on yet.

Karen, I'm sure we will see your mission statement on Handango's home page very soon, possible right under the "Going out of business" sign. ;)

Pinnacle
02-08-2007, 07:27 PM
I believe the "Download Protection" only applies to purchases made sometime after the middle of 2006; this is why some people aren't seeing it for a purchase they made in 2003, for example.

I do not purchase from Handango unless it's from a developer that has a full trial available on their website, in which I'd just need to enter my reg code to unlock it.

I agree with a few posts above this, you can discuss backups all you want. The issue is software updates. What if your device was an older PPC, and you upgraded to a newer Treo with a new screen resolution. The file you downloaded from the original purchase does not work with the new device, but there's been an update since then that would work. This is the issue.

As software and devices add/change features, you should have the right to not have to pay for upgrade downloads of something you already own (if the developer guarantees that, of course).

I'm like some of the others; I've been purchasing software from Handango since the beginning of the PPC. I have a ton of purchased apps dated before this new policy that I have no problems downloading. Since this protection policy started, though, I've made about 3 purchases there.[/i]

DARKMON
02-08-2007, 07:35 PM
Just to add my 2 cents worth... I too have stopped buying from Handango when ever possible. Yes, some of the older purchases are availible for download with out the "protection", sometimes they ask for the credit card number or something to check. I went through and downloaded all the updated programs I could to be current.
I have been buying software from them since the beginning with my iPAQ 3600! But what ever happened to the customer/merchant loyalty? I guess they are protecting us from them. I wrote them a long letter about this very topic a few months ago and there reply was that they would review it with there service personal. The big reason I switched is because of the percentage ratio they pay to the developers. I think it was something like 20% to the developer! I could be wrong on the exact percentage, but it was low. But the whole thing flared up on this site some time ago. So I have been doing my part to support the developers and not the re-sellers. We have to let the developers know who have a link to handango for purchases to partner up with another re-seller. That will get Handangos attention!

bkerrins
02-08-2007, 08:24 PM
I stopped buying from them years ago...doesn't seem like a good time to start up again. :wink:

PPCRules
02-08-2007, 08:25 PM
If people stop buying, they'll stop it. And if people get stung once, they'll probably stop buying (not enough people read things like this website). So they can get by with it until enough people get stung, then stop buying, so that it'll affect their market share. It's obvious that at this point they don't fear the customer leaving.

It's just like DRM: if enough people bought music of independent artist who sell recordings w/o DRM, the 'big labels' would drop DRM real fast (actually, they'd only slack off enough to regain sales).

PocketGear works slick. And it's not about just going back to re-download, but they post updates so you can just scan the list and know if there is a newer version avilable. Keeping your own local backups of old versions of software isn't much help ("Pinnacle" makes that point above).
I have never "had to use PayPal" at PocketGear.

The last time we had this discussion, MobiHand's selection was miniscule. I suppose that has changed by now.

What one sees as a need for "Download Protection" (i.e., protecting themselves from download bandwidth costs), another would consider an opportunity to offer an after-the-sale service to the customer that will make them want to come back.

garrans
02-08-2007, 08:50 PM
I guess one could make an argument for the "Download Protection" that Handango keeps the versions of the software around for redownload and that requires hardware &amp; support costs etc.; but IMHO its a ripoff.

I personally stopped using Handango after they failed to honor a prize for a developer.

I did recently stop by their site via mobile access and they wanted to download software to my device that enabled me to purchase more software. First thing through my head: If this is Handango software, its probably spyware that will monitor my software usage.

Handango: I don't think so !!!

JamesM
02-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Add me to the list of disgusted (former) Handango customers.

I also think that the download protection only applies for purchases made from mid-2006 on. My laptop died last month, taking with it all of my local copies of purchased software. I was able to re-download all but my most recent purchases from Handango.

I too, have been boycotting them as much as possible. PocketGear, Mobihand and developers direct from now on!
-James

Pixelnose
02-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Is it just me, or is there something darkly ironic in the word Handango uses to describe this 'service?' Protection. I recall other groups offering similar services under similar names in the past: 'Protection' for which you had to pay 'protection money.' I believe the law enforcement authorities involved tended to refer to it as a 'protection racket.'

Handango's Marketing Department... I don't know, not only is this an idea guaranteed to annoy repeat customers, but the title they chose demonstrates a level of ignorance which is breathtaking.

Or perhaps they aren't ignorant - they are aware of the implications and they really do hate their customers. :roll:

When people email me saying they can't download their skins from handango, I rarely mince words and I describe this scheme in a similar fashion. I've had to watch myself though recently, because someone took that to Handango, who sent us a nastygram threatening to delete our account if we continued. Seriously.

Mobihand isn't quiet ready for skinners yet, in that we need many more screenshots, and html descriptions would be a plus, but they are a far nicer bunch to deal with. Pocketgear charges the same royalty that Handango does, and they only send payment by check...which can't be cashed here. Plus there's that time when they weren't paying developers at all. That reputation never does quiet go away does it?

So we have Handango, but for most of our products (I still need to add Sbsh Deluxe, but it's impossible to add the Exclusive skin pak) there's always Mobihand, and our own site. :)

(Mrs. Juni)

edit - and no, do not pay extra to download your purchases from us. Upgrades are always free and Juni meant that when he said it. There are too many programs skinned that need regular updating to ever think of charging for upgrades. The download link should be in the handango email you got (if purchased after June of last year), but if you lost it, or somehow got the older email, then just let me know and you can have what you paid for without paying again. :)

cslaughtermd
02-08-2007, 10:27 PM
I no longer purchase software from Handango because of their "download protection" schemes. I generally update the ROM on my Universal a few times per year and always redownload software that I've purchased to get the latest version. Multiple times, Handango has prevented downloads of software that I've already purchased, saying that I've "exceeded my download limits". Also, I think that trying to extort money from customers by charging for "download insurance" is ridiculous.
In general I now try to buy from the software maker directly, there is much better customer service, no middleman, and better updates.

Jason Dunn
02-08-2007, 11:33 PM
The last time we had this discussion, MobiHand's selection was miniscule. I suppose that has changed by now.

I worked with Mobihand a while ago to email 30 or so of the top developers who had applications on Handango but did not have them on Mobihand yet - so I think things are changing for the better.

I'd caution you though to not look at the total number of apps and just Mobihand by that - you know as well as I do that Handango has 1000's of ebooks, themes, and other things that aren't applications.

Besides which, if you want thing to change, take an active role: if there's a developer whose software you buy isn't listed on Mobihand, urge them to sign up - tell 'em I sent you. ;-)

alex_kac
02-08-2007, 11:36 PM
My two cents:

First - we use Handango for our main store because frankly that's where most of the sales are. We also sell on PocketGear, MobiHand, and many others but they simply don't drive anywhere near the revenue. On our Handango powered store we have their download protection OFF because we offer our own archive of all the software we sell right here &lt;http://download.pocketinformant.com/> and our customers simply have no need to pay that.

I know Phatware and SPB have done the same. If you were to ask me where to buy - I tell people to buy THROUGH the developers's website at Handango or MobiHand. PocketGear charges way too much (40%-50% + another 3-5% for CC fees) for us devs, but for customers is not bad.

I strongly dislike the download protection, but I do understand the reason its there - to help offset the cost of bandwidth. I know this because I know what I pay for that server's bandwidth I linked above and that's only for my own software. If it contained software for everything Handango holds for both Trials and redownloads, I'd spend more money on bandwidth than I'd make a year. Downloads are NOT free. They cost the provider money.

So my two cents are in essence - don't shoot the dev by not buying his products. Not all Handango Powered stores have this onerous nonsense. And use MobiHand if you can!

kiwi
02-09-2007, 12:41 AM
Generally, if the developer does not offer the product directly and does not take PayPal, I don't buy the software. I doubt I will ever buy from Handango again.

Totally agree with you on this. I hate Handango - the cost of the insurance is as much as some titles themselves!

WorksForTurkeys
02-09-2007, 01:51 AM
So have I mentioned that our primary software store is with Mobihand (http://software.pocketpcthoughts.com/homeSoftware.asp)? :wink: The best thing you guys can do is to make sure the companies/developers that have the product you want to buy are listed with Mobihand - it gives you another choice of where to buy your products from.

[Oh, and as much as I agree with the basis of Chris' rant (I think the download "protection" is ridiculous), backing up your data is the real solution here, not relying on someplace letting you re-download things again. What if Handango went out of business? Take a look at Carbonite (http://carbonite.jasondunn.com) (affiliate) for keeping your backups...$5 a month is a small price to pay for having a backup of all your data.]

on a personal level backups are the appropriate solution regardless of which vendor you purchase from.

when a vendor acts consistently with marginal ethics, the appropriate response is not to blame yourself for not having perfect backup habits. the appropriate response is to vote your wallets. there are other vendors for your software purchases who value your business, and if the product you are interested in purchasing is only available from the vendor with questionable professional ethics (for example, handango) then maybe you really don't need or want that product. developers are known by the company of the vendors they keep, and the best way to get the message across to both developers and vendors is by not giving them your money.

maceyr
02-09-2007, 02:38 AM
I'm curious whether anyone is able to re-download their software without logging in as themselves but as a "guest" and just insert any email address instead of your account registered email address?

If so, that could be a workaround (until they figure it out and force you to log in to your account). But then, you could always register another account and use that only for trial downloads instead.

But I do agree that it's totally unfair to charge for something that normally, we can simply download a trial anywhere without paying. If Handango is doing this, I also will likely get it elsewhere.

I'd love to be able to use Mobihand as a software store but they never responded to my request since my site is so small and Handango is the only major one that gives me an affiliate account.

pocketdoc
02-09-2007, 03:42 AM
I will never buy from Handango again. Their Download Protection is a scam and a waste of money.

Is there any way we can set up a boycott?

Use Pockegear, Mobihand or anyone else, PLEASE!!

jlp
02-09-2007, 07:42 AM

I too, have been boycotting them as much as possible. ...

-James

This is no boycott, this is simply not using them and using another source.

Boycott is active, it's voicing your concerns to them.

For this I suggest somebody here use PetitionOnline.com to create a petition, then all of us here who disagrees with Handango goes there, signs it, and sends the link to everybody we know who'd be concerned (User groups, friends, PPC websites, etc.)

And then the originator of the petition sends an email to Handango for them to know our irritation about their practice that borders with unlawful behaviors.

I suggest someone who has a bit of time to do it and masters the English language take the plunge.

And somebody with a synthetic mindset who is able to first make a list af all the concerns and then outline them in the petition.

NewEra
02-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Come on guys be fair.
They are running out of ideas on how to make more money :)

First they kept increasing their commission until it's now more than 50% for some developers.

Then, they created what is called a HandAnGo Club, where you subscribe and get 20% off, guess what, the developer doesn't share the subscription fees while the 20% offered by HandAnGo is affecting the amount the developer gets.

Then, they introduced the download protection where you have to pay 5$ even if the software is priced lower than this, again this pure profit for them.

Not only that, but if you're a software developer and want to have your own web-store powered by HandAnGo, they force you to have the download protection in the check-out (but in this case they give the developer 10% of the download protection fees)

kgs
02-09-2007, 11:45 AM
I have a real issue with 'download protection' too. I bought some software from Handango that later offered a 'free upgrade' on the developer site. However, the dev. site pointed back to handango for this upgrade and, as I didn't have download protection, I would have had to pay again.

The fact that a lot of this software costs around $9 and they are charging $5 for you to re-download it is just crazy.

Don't support the grim-handango!

K

JamesM
02-09-2007, 04:32 PM
jlp wrote:This is no boycott, this is simply not using them and using another source.

Boycott is active, it's voicing your concerns to them.

If they read their email, they have heard my concerns:

"Dear Handango,
I am a long-time customer of yours (since roughly 2000), as you can see by my account, but over the last year have been seeking to purchase my handheld software titles elsewhere whenever possible. Why, might you ask, would a customer actually care where he/she purchases something as innocuous as a game for a smartphone, or a utility for a handheld? Here are several reasons:
1) download protection. I cannot see why I need to be "protected" here. The only thing I can see that you're protecting me from is you. Other vendors, like PocketGear allow unlimited downloads. You used to offer unlimited downloads until you apparently saw an opportunity to extract more money from us. Your choice, of course, but my choice is to avoid this (and now, you) whenever I can.

2) along with download protection, I have recently been unable to download titles from your website that I have paid for. Another reason to flee...."
[email goes on about other issues]
-James

sheureka
02-09-2007, 08:53 PM
I just had to pay $6 to redownload a $30 program I bought less than 6 weeks ago - I lost a harddrive and didn't have the program anymore. For most of my PPC stuff I found an alternative site (developer, pocketgear, etc.) that I could use as long as I had the registration number. This one wasn't available anywhere else. I'll never buy from them again. - sheureka

Magellan
02-09-2007, 09:02 PM
I purchased download protection for one of my apps. The problem is, I thought it was for all apps, not just that one. I still use Handango since I like those points, but I try to find out other ways of getting updates to make sure I just need to access Handango for the code, not the software. Also, I understand how annoying and maddening it is, but it is hardly unethical. They are in business to make money, and they are trying to find ways to do this. If they come up with a way that loses customers, they will usually stop. It just may take more time for them to feel the pinch.

clickgamer
02-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Check out www.clickgamer.com (for games) and www.clickapps.com (for apps).

We offer FREE DOWNLOAD PROTECTION on all purchases - absolutely no catches whatsoever. You can download again whenever you like - for ZERO cost.

Simply sign up for a free clickpaygo account using your original purchase email and all of your previous purchases will be hooked up - automatically.

Alternatively just open an account now and download some free stuff !

Go there now : www.clickgamer.com/clickpaygo

Check out www.clickgamer.com and www.clickapps.com for 1000's of top quality games and applications.

A great choice, great support and FREE DOWNLOAD PROTECTION

How can someone charge for that ? It's simply isn't ethical ! :D

bnycastro
02-10-2007, 02:15 AM
Happened to me with a couple of titles. I won't be purchasing from them again. However sometimes when I buy from a developer's site I get the Handango minibrand store??? Anyway I try to contact developers when DPS is enforced on any software I've bought so far the dev's have been great and responsive only problem would be for some less updated apps or absentee dev's.

mv
02-10-2007, 02:58 AM
I´ll never buy there again. Anyway, if you need to, you can re download the trial, but that´s not always possible... but most times contacting the developer will solve it, just keek yours serials safe and proof of purchase if the soft does not requires a serial.

kalina34
02-10-2007, 06:33 AM
I just went into my account to see wht I could download if anything....all I got was things I bought in the last 30 days plus a few apps I had from SPB and SBSH and a few random others but I think they were all apps that had trials which is why I could do it....I also noticed was that I had purchased old versions then updated versions and the download link went to the same most up to date version no matter which link I tried to get to it through.

Just my FYI for others....I usually prefer to buy direct from the developer myself and back up on my computer but like everyone else, things happen, human error and computer malfunction so I prefer to buy where I dont have to worry as long as I have my reg codes.

NOIC
02-10-2007, 01:35 PM
I too have been purchasing from Handango since 2002. I'm a back up freak so I have every email registration code and I back up of everything I've purchased (unless it doesn't work any more on new devices). I have my computers back up important info on each other so I never lose them, but in this case it is a matter of principal. I recently made some puchases and noticed they automatically include a check mark for the Down Load Protection. If I hadn't seen it or clicked too quickly I would have been forced to pay for it. The masses can change policy. If every one of their customers did as I have and emails them that we will no longer make purchases from them based on this policy they will buckle and fix it.

PPCMD
02-10-2007, 02:04 PM
I have used Handanog since early 2003 and my account shows over 78 applications there. Since they startedt the protection plan my purchases have been directed to the developers site (often redirected to mini.handango store) PocketGear, SmartPhone.net and recently MobiHand which I find to be a site with great promise.

Beyond the high fees Handango wants I want the developers to get paid more and by doing so purchase directly from them. So I vote with my wallet, I keep very detailed records in FlexWallet as to what site an app was purchased, order #, devs web site etc so I can get a redownload.

Once your hooked on something your not likely to change that practice, case in point handango and their protection fees.

bjfpdts
02-10-2007, 10:44 PM
I have also run into this problem with Handango. I have not purchased anything from them now for about 6 months, that will continue for some time to come if not forever. If Handango doesn't change that policy, they will not get me to return.

Catman51
02-11-2007, 07:20 PM
I have 11 pages of purchases with them. No more, won't be buying anything from them ever again. What a ripoff, when no one else is pulling this.
Lots of other sites or the developer to buy from. Bye, Bye Handango.

quetopaq
02-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Me too, I will whenever possible avoid buying from Handango again. I will not pay for Download Protection. Period. I keep a backup of my downloads too, and that is not the issue. The issue are "free" updates that, for certain applications, I can only get through the Hangango Store, when I did buy from there.

My two cents:

I strongly dislike the download protection, but I do understand the reason its there - to help offset the cost of bandwidth. I know this because I know what I pay for that server's bandwidth I linked above and that's only for my own software. If it contained software for everything Handango holds for both Trials and redownloads, I'd spend more money on bandwidth than I'd make a year. Downloads are NOT free. They cost the provider money.

With regards to the argument that the download protection pays fo the use of bandwith, while understanding that bandwidth isn't free, I do not buy that argument. I can go on the Handango site and download trials to the gazoo and use their bandwidth for free. And then, once I have purchased an application, transferred my $$$ to them and am a paying customer, I get the preferential treatment to get ripped off and needing to pay for a re-download protection. That is a very screwed up logic ...
The use of bandwith is a cost of doing business in the business that Handongo is.

I truly hope that the Mobihand store expands and includes more and more titles .. . There is a dire need for alternatives to Handango and to Pocketgear.

NOIC
02-12-2007, 12:47 AM
As someone said, once they start it, they most likely won't change back. I do agree with developers getting paid more. I would much rather deal direct. I find they are more concerned about support and information flows better. Unfortunately you get hooked because sites like Handango have so many titles all in one place. I will work harder to avoid them in the future. As for the bandwidth argument...Naw it "is" the cost of doing business. If that argument was valid then the amount they would have to add to the title cost would be minimal to cover bandwidth costs. That's just Big Business trying to get every penny they can.

FYI: This is the response from Handgo after I told them I would not be purchasing from them any longer due to their download protection policy. Just a bunch of smoke and mirrors.

Thank you for contacting Handango Customer Care.

Download Protection is a service offered by Handango that protects you from a broad range of circumstances which may cause the loss of the software application files you've purchased. This service allows you to redownload your files past 30 days from the time of purchase of the application.

You might need to redownload your application files for a number of reasons including the following:
1. You get a new mobile device and want to re-add software titles you've purchased in the past.
2. Your mobile device needs to be reset, resulting in the loss of your application files.
3. You get a new PC and need an extra copy of your application files for redownload.
4. The PC on which you back-up your application file crashes.
5. You need to redownload the latest version after a developer releases an upgrade.

Simply visit your Handango Purchase History page:
1. Log in to your member account here https://www.handango.com/GoPass.jsp.
2. View records of previous purchases for all products with Download Protection Service.
3. Click Download next to any product with Download Protection Service to redownload the application files.
4. The file will be delivered to your PC or over-the-air to your device (depending on their original method of delivery).

We appreciate your business with Handango.
Sincerely,
Chris

hoffman
02-12-2007, 04:01 AM
Hi
I have also had the problem of being asked to pay for redownloading software. This is only recent software bought since the download protection has been in force. Older applications before the download protection I can still download.

The most irritating thing about their download protection scheme is that they only apply it to software that you can download only through them. Other software that you can download from the producers site or download the full version as a trial on other sites you can download without Handango asking for a download protection fee.

Their greedy logic is if you can download it elsewhere we do not mind supplying the download for free but because you cannot download it elsewhere we will make sure you pay through the nose for it so we can earn a extra few bucks out of your hard luck in not having the original file.

I only buy software from Handango now when I get a upgrade or a special offer and the producer gives no other option than to purchase through Handango.

I would never pay download protection when most of the bigger companies allow you to download the full version on their site and as long as you have a code there is no problem.

Regards Brian

anonymous99
02-13-2007, 03:06 AM
You could always request your download link from the software company support. Most of the company will provide it for free, since you have bought it.
:roll:

Nurhisham Hussein
02-14-2007, 07:05 AM
I received an email regarding this thread from Handango, it's worth reproducing in full:

Subject
Handango Customer Care regarding Download Protection

Discussion Thread
Response (Linda) 02/12/2007 05:49 PM
Hello Nurhisham,

I wanted to respond to you regarding a blog you posted about Handango Download Protection. Being the long-time Handango customer that you are, I would like to provide additional information to help you understand this service and your options.

Handango stores every download file for every product sold on our site. We have over 200,000 products and many of them have years of update files. I am sure you understand the data storage and bandwidth needed to support such an effort. Prior to a year ago, we provided additional downloads at no charge even years after purchase. This is no longer feasible for us. If you opt not to purchase download protection Handango offers the software for download for up to 30 days after purchase free of charge. During that time you can make your own software backup or you can purchase download protection after 30 days if needed.

Please be aware that Download Protection does not apply to Handango.com purchases made prior to February 2006 or any Handango InHand purchases. You can download these purchases as frequently as you need without any additional charges. We wanted to do this for our long-time customers like you and grandfather in past purchases so that DPS would not be necessary. For purchases made after February 2006 on Handango.com, Download Protection was a new optional service and if purchased allows you unlimited downloads for up to one year. If you opt not to purchase the Download Protection, you still have unlimited downloads for up to 30 days after purchase. During that time you can make your own software backup or you can purchase download protection after 30 days if needed. In addition, you will continue to have access to your registration key information through your Handango Member Account.

I hope this helps explain Download Protection further. As we continue to evaluate this program, the feedback we receive from customers like yourself will be used to help us determine improvements in the future. We do want you to continue to be a valued Handango customer. To show our appreciation for your business, please accept this $15 gift code to use on your next visit to www.handango.com.

maceyr
02-15-2007, 07:21 PM
Wow. At least, they do monitor what's been said about them. I never get any response when I email to their affiliate email address regarding my affiliate account (which I find frustrating). I hope they are reading this.

Okay, I can sort of understand their reasoning, if they are keeping that particular version file available. I have always kept archives of as many versions of a program because I find that a lot of apps become bloatware and don't offer much in function and features.

But at least they aren't preventing us from downloading the trial version of the current version, which was my concern because if I paid for the registration of a software, I should still be entitled to it, that is, unless the current version isn't a full version upgrade. But then, I don't mind paying for the upgrade then.

Obviously, your best way is to make a backup of the program on your computer if you don't want to pay. At least they explained it a bit better.

But still, I don't like paying for the download protection. I just hope that other sites don't start doing this though.

ipaq_wannabe
05-06-2007, 07:28 AM
hhhmmm... is this download protection really selective?

i went back to my purchase history with handango (and like most here, have been a customer since way back - 2002), and tried downloading softwares purchased after February 2006. there were no problems - there was none asking me to pay, etc.

on the other hand however, these softwares are those that are widely available from the developer's site... hhhmmm...

Catman51
05-06-2007, 04:06 PM
You know what, I don't really need them storing old versions. My problem with this is, if the software has an update a year and a half later, and the developer doesn't have a site to get it at, I can't get it from them either.
That's why I go elsewhere when I purchase something now.
I'd prefer only to buy from the developer, but so many of them link you to Handango.