View Full Version : is there a pocketPC with 129MB of RAM available in the us?

welinder
02-01-2007, 06:48 AM
Hi,
I have the awesome Toshiba e800 but apparently it's no longer available in the us, I got mine from Canada but my customers can't deal with a gray market device for support reasons. It has the cool screen with the vga resolution and 128MB of cpu memory. Aside from the special POS/vertical market devices, is there another device that's available in the us that has 128MB of cpu (application executable) RAM?

Nurhisham Hussein
02-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Something that's still current? I don't think there are any - the HTC Athena is a 50/50 proposition at the moment. There's still a few older models, but most are EOL already like the iPaq 2750.

Edit: With WM5, the amount of executable RAM is less critical as ALL the RAM is used for program execution. You don't have the sharing of memory between storage and program execution that you had with WM2003.

welinder
02-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Our application is now up to 50MB's. So if we want to add any more functionality we're going to have to cut corners. Our data set is quite large combined with .net being such a pig...

Microsoft and the hardware manufacturers want the pocketPC to be taken seriously as a business tool but then they only gives us 64MB's... They all seem to be distracted by the whole phone convergence issue.

Cybrid
02-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Is 50mb the Application size or its RAM footprint?
As Nurhisham said, with the WM5 models, there is less need for large RAM since the application must reside in ROM (128Mb and up) and then run on the devices 64Mb RAM. The advantage of this also (known as persistent storage) you have less support headaches from uncharged devices requiring app re-installs.