View Full Version : pulling time from network

islandsnow
01-24-2007, 10:29 PM
i have a hp ipaq 6945. is it possible to pull the network time so whenever i cross timezones, i don't have to manually change the time on the ipaq? it was a useful feature when i had my treo 650, but don't know if i can do it on a pcc.

Sven Johannsen
01-25-2007, 02:34 AM
Don't know if there is an automated way to get the time/timezone, thoiugh I expect there is. I do want to make you aware that the WM OS (just like the desktop Windows OS) ties your appoinment times to the timezone you are in and shifts them when you shift zones. It stores in universal time, and adjusts the display time, based on your selected TZ.

That is, if you are in NY and enter a lunch date at 12 noon, while set to Eastern Time, and you fly to LA, and change to West Coast time zone, your lunch will be shown at 9AM. (That's what time is in LA when it is noon in NY). If you understand this and enter appointments based on what time it will be, where you won't be, when it happens, all is good. If you don't want to enter your LA lunch date at 3PM while you are in NY though, I would be careful what you ask for regarding auto TZ changes.

If that is confusing, please ask for clarification as I would hate for you to miss a plane because you entered the flight info based on the wrong time zone, and insisted on using the TZ feature on WM.

islandsnow
01-25-2007, 02:48 AM
yup, i understand all that. but i guess if it cannot be done, its a moot point.

funny though, on the palm treo, you can have network time set, and all your appointments don't get all messed up. i'm not sure if it just changes the network time, and not the timezone.

Don't know if there is an automated way to get the time/timezone, thoiugh I expect there is. I do want to make you aware that the WM OS (just like the desktop Windows OS) ties your appoinment times to the timezone you are in and shifts them when you shift zones. It stores in universal time, and adjusts the display time, based on your selected TZ.

That is, if you are in NY and enter a lunch date at 12 noon, while set to Eastern Time, and you fly to LA, and change to West Coast time zone, your lunch will be shown at 9AM. (That's what time is in LA when it is noon in NY). If you understand this and enter appointments based on what time it will be, where you won't be, when it happens, all is good. If you don't want to enter your LA lunch date at 3PM while you are in NY though, I would be careful what you ask for regarding auto TZ changes.

If that is confusing, please ask for clarification as I would hate for you to miss a plane because you entered the flight info based on the wrong time zone, and insisted on using the TZ feature on WM.