View Full Version : What to buy? hx2490 or rx4240?

broon
01-22-2007, 03:08 AM
Hi, I'm looking to buy a pocket PC. The functionality I want is to be able to sync with Outlook for contacts and calendar, browse the net using Wifi, view word documents (preferably with images, etc) and pdf files, listen to mp3's and maybe view movies. I don't care if the device has bluetooth or not. A camera would be nice, but again, is not a necessity.

I'd also like the option to use the device as a phone, but all the phone enabled pocket PC's look to be out of my price range. Looks like I'll just have to carry around my mobile as well until I upgrade.

I was originally considering an rx1950, but from what I've read the lack of RAM makes it unusable for more than the most basic functionality. My two picks at the moment are an hx2490 or an rx4240. I have SD cards for storage already.

I'd like to know which would be the best choice out of the hx2490 or the rx4240, or if there are any other PDA's within that price range which I should consider. Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Edit: The Dell Axim x51 520Mhz is also within my price range.

Techzone
01-29-2007, 05:55 AM
I just can't decide which one to buy .. just like you .. I am looking for a used one .. I can get the Hx2490 for $280 or Dell X51v for $299 ... Let us know which one you will get. Good luck.

broon
01-30-2007, 08:53 AM
I ended up getting the Dell Axim x51 520MHz. I would have liked the Axim x51v which has a VGA screen (higher resolution) and a faster processor (620Mhz), but it was out of my price range.

My final decision was based upon a number of things:

1.Dell had a 20% off discount on the Axim, and the company I work for gets a further 3% off that. It worked out that I got the Axim, a spare battery and 3 spare stylus for the same price as the ipaq 2490.
2.The Axim comes with a charging cradle, which is one less thing I have to buy.
3.I've bought computers through Dell before and been happy with the service, quality and price.

If you are reading Axim reviews online, keep in mind that many of the problems which the device had have now been fixed with bios upgrades.

In the end though, both of these look like very good performance and features for the price. I should be getting my Axim tomorrow, so I'll post back in a week or so with my opinion.