View Full Version : Can I watch video in e830 from my laptop using Bluetooth or WIFI ?

nahidshahin
01-13-2007, 05:48 PM
Hello,
Is there any way to watch movie from my laptop.
Both my laptop and Toshiba e830 has bluetooth & WIFI.

Thanks
Regards
-Nahid

Nurhisham Hussein
01-15-2007, 04:10 AM
Welcome to PPCT!

As to your question, it's fairly easy, if a bit convoluted. First, share the folder on your laptop (make sure you remember the share name), then link both devices through wifi. Then on your e830, go to File Explorer, and tap on Open on the menu bar. Type in "\\computer name\shared folder name\" where "computer name" is the network name for your laptop, and "shared folder name" is the name of your shared folder (obviously ;)). You can then access any files in that folder through any program on your PDA, including Windows Media Player.

You can do the same with bluetooth, but that depends on the availability of the correct profiles on both laptop and PDA, plus bluetooth bandwidth is a lot lower than wifi. For movies wifi is the better choice, though it'll suck the battery dry a lot quicker.

PS - Don't expect too much. The bandwidth restrictions for wifi on a PDA and the much slower processors means that high-bitrate movies won't play very well if at all.

nahidshahin
01-15-2007, 07:22 AM
Thanks Nurhisham Hussein for your informative reply.
For WIFI most probably I need a AP (access point) instead of WIFI client in my laptop right?
I have TowinMos WIFI client in my laptop.
I need to change my device right?

For Bluetooth, does sharing procedure is same?

Thanks
Regards
-Nahid

Nurhisham Hussein
01-17-2007, 09:02 AM
You don't need an AP for wifi - all you need to do is set up an ad-hoc wifi connection between your laptop and your PDA. You can use either device as the host.

For bluetooth, it's a lot trickier - you need to have the Personal Area Network profile on both devices, pair them, network them, and THEN get access to your media.

victore
01-26-2007, 02:52 AM
If you plan on watching a lot of videos on your PDA, you might want to resize or resample them so that they play better. Are these videos meant to be played full screen on a computer or for mobile devices?