View Full Version : How do I attach to my Wi-fi network ?

horby
01-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Hi All, :D

Just bought a Mio(mitac) P550 Pocket PC which runs PC Mobile 5.0.

I have a broad band wireless network at home running from a Linksys router. (my laptops attach ok).

I would like to be able to attach to the Wifi network to browse the web and get e-mail etc to my pocket pc.

My network is visible from the device but constantly trys to connect and fails. I have entered my WPA key etc, iexplorer says it cannot attach with the current settings!

The help on the microsoft site talks about configuring the modem and network cards, but I don't think that is required for attaching via wireless?

Could someone please advise me, WHat have I missed?

Any help would be much apprecaited. :?

Cybrid
01-12-2007, 07:45 AM
Hi All, :D

Just bought a Mio(mitac) P550 Pocket PC which runs PC Mobile 5.0.

I have a broad band wireless network at home running from a Linksys router. (my laptops attach ok).

I would like to be able to attach to the Wifi network to browse the web and get e-mail etc to my pocket pc.

My network is visible from the device but constantly trys to connect and fails. I have entered my WPA key etc, iexplorer says it cannot attach with the current settings!

The help on the microsoft site talks about configuring the modem and network cards, but I don't think that is required for attaching via wireless?

Could someone please advise me, WHat have I missed?

Any help would be much apprecaited. :?In the connection manager...Settings>connections>coneections>advanced>network card>
drop down menu "programs...." and "the other menu...I forgot :oops: "

Change to work settings then ok out. When connecting...You'll get a pop up menu that says connecting to "Your Router name" This network connects to...Select Work.

Nurhisham Hussein
01-12-2007, 08:02 AM
In the connection manager...Settings>connections>coneections>advanced>network card>
drop down menu "programs...." and "the other menu...I forgot :oops: "

Actually it's:

Start->Settings->Connections tab->Connections->Advanced tab->Select Networks

...and the drop down menus are for "Internet" and "Work" connections. But Cybrid has the right steps - use "My Work Network" in both drop down menus.

Cybrid
01-13-2007, 04:01 AM
Actually it's:

Start->Settings->Connections tab->Connections->Advanced tab->Select Networks

...and the drop down menus are for "Internet" and "Work" connections. But Cybrid has the right steps - use "My Work Network" in both drop down menus.yea. ummm was too lazy... erm tired... too tired, that's what it was... to go verify. :D

horby
01-16-2007, 02:11 PM
thanks folks, :D

I do have them set to 'Work' anything else I could try? :?:

regards

Horby

Nurhisham Hussein
01-17-2007, 09:08 AM
You might want to have a look at your router settings - it may not be correctly serving an IP to your device. You might also want to check whether the connection works with WEP instead of WPA.

Birdman
01-28-2007, 09:39 PM
A couple of other things it may. In addition to checking that your router is set to WAP security and not WEP, you may have your router set to only accept a 'G' connection and your handheld may only be 'B'. In your router settings, for wireless there may be a "mixed"; "G" or "B" setting. Make sure it is set on "mixed" if your handheld is a "B device.

pjm8047
04-14-2007, 06:08 PM
I got the same problems with my cingular 8125. It will not connect to my network network key is right.

Pure Krome
04-30-2007, 05:54 AM
horby, try making sure that your linksys router has been set up for MAC FILTERING.

my netgear wifi router has mac filter set to 'ON'. so this means, even if the person types the correct network key/password and has the correct network settings WPA-SK or whatever it is ... the router will NOT connect if it is missing the phones MAC address (a unique identitifer for the network card that sits INSIDE the phone).

this way, i have to manually define which devices can connect to my wifi network, even if the device/user has the correct security info.

so -- check that out.

(by default, most wifi routers have MAC Filtering turned 'OFF', btw).