View Full Version : Erratic behaviour of HTC Hermes - any ideas?

martin_ayton
01-05-2007, 10:44 AM
I've posted here rather than in the 'phone edition section, because this may be a wider issue...

I finally gave up on the erratic behaviour of by MDA Vario2 and started over with a hard reset and very slow, sequential software reinstallation. Currently, I have the following apps installed:

SKTools (v.3.1.1) - installed to device
Fitaly - installed to device
MS Voice Command (v.1.5 - UK) - installed to device
Resco Explorer - installed to device
Resco Registry add-in - installed to device
Laridian Pocket Bible - installed to 2GB micro-SD card
Co-Pilot - installed to 2GB micro-SD card

Everything appeared to be going smoothly until I installed Co-Pilot. Since then, start-up has got a lot slower and I have some significant SIP instability in that it can take a long time to get any SIP to appear and sometimes the Fitaly server won't run. This despite the fact that I have used SKTools to disable every SIP except Fitaly and the standard keyboard. The (truly dreadful) Co-Pilot SIP still flashes up on occasion despite the fact that it is supposed to be disabled.

Also, and this is - if anything - more annoying, I can't get the Vario2 to charge in the car whilst it is on unless I soft-reset it immediately before I connect it to the charger. It shows (via the LED) that it is charging when it is switched off (that's in sleep rather than powered right down), but the moment I switch it on, the LED goes out and the system tray shows battery power only. That means that it will switch itself off even during pretty short journeys. I do not have this problem when I'm charging from a wall outlet, so I have tried several car chargers including, currently, a BoxWave Versa Charger Pro, but to no avail. The fact that it will run off the car charger if it has just been soft-reset is baffling me.

Now I'm convinced that the first issue is due to Co-Pilot, but I don't know about the second. That used to happen prior to my starting over and I had TomTom Navigator6 installed then rather than Co-Pilot. Is it an issue with the Hermes (aka TyTn, Vario2 etc.)? Or is it perhaps something to do with the way that GPS software manages power on the PocketPC? Maybe it has nothing to do with the software and the timing was co-incidental. If you have any thoughts or suggestions as to what is going on and what I ought to do about it, that would be great!