View Full Version : I am drowning with GoodLink...

deniska
01-05-2007, 02:36 AM
Intro
I've been a BlackBerry user for the last 4 years, and decided it was time to upgrade. Since I've used PocketPC in the past (long ago), and even developed some little apps back in Windows CE days, a Windows Mobile device was a natural choice. Especially since my company is standardizing on Windows Mobile.

And so I became a proud owner of a Cingular 8525 which arrived a two days ago. I am really struggling with not having a keypad on the face of the device, and beginning to accept that one-handed use is the thing of the past for me. Other than that, it's a great device... and I am ready to cry. Help me out, there must be some experts out there that know how to stick it to all those software vendors that think they know better than the user. Argh!

Big, big problem
Here's the dealio: it's the GoodLink. My company has not implemented DirectPush, so we use GoodLink. It's a large company, so I don't have direct access to admins and techs that deal with that -- and have to accept whatever they dish out. Here's the list of my problems:

- The GoodLink password screen. It's pushed by policy with a maximum lock-out delay of 30 minutes (which I understand). But unlike the standards WM5 password screen, this sucker does not have the on-screen keypad!!!! Now imagine this with a device that has a slide-out keyboard. Ever time it locks, I need to pick it up with two hands, open the keyboard, type in my measly 4-digit password... OH MY GOD. That's the most ridiculous and irritating thing I can imagine! I am going to shoot myself if someone does not suggest a work-around.

- The GoodLink software works well (when it does not hang), it's fairly streamlined... and it does not rely on the Mobile Outlook core. Which means it has its own storage for messages, calendar and such... which means NO Pocket Informant, no Agenda Fusion, no nice Today plug-ins... I mean I can use them, but they won't share anything with my corporate email and calendar (which are the only ones I use, and use extensively) WTF???? Security my behind, how could they butcher Widndows Mobile like that?

There are other things I need to get used to with this device, but GoodLink quirks are too much. I have no way back now to BlackBerry (don't ask why)... Help! :evil:

Quick update: The GoodLink client version (on the device) is 4.9.1.46_EN

deniska
01-06-2007, 12:26 AM
Bump... Anyone? :cry:

deniska
01-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Anybody?

Sven Johannsen
01-13-2007, 10:56 PM
It may be that your situation is not that common, and that is why you haven't got any help. Don't know if I will be any. Does the GoodLink password screen bring up the Soft Input Panel icon in the bottom bar? That's where you can select keyboard, transcriber, etc. If so the phonepad SIP might work for you, if it exists, on your 8525.

Can't help on the PIM problem. You'd have to find some PIM enhancer that works with GoodLink. You could google for that, but I've never heard of one.

I'm sort of surprised this isn't more of an issue, if, as you say you are a pretty big company and WM + Goodlink is the standard. Aren't more folks complaining?