View Full Version : Major Server Woes: Sorry for the Down Time!

Jason Dunn
01-02-2007, 09:56 PM
We're now back from some of the worst down-time I can remember us having. Long story short, our main Web/database server ran out of hard drive space, and my own attempts to correct what I thought was a different problem may have resulted in database corruption - and it was all down-hill from there. Thankfully, <a href="http://www.dejavusoftware.com/index.html">Jorj</a> came to our rescue and managed to get everything working again. Things should be back to normal now, other than my blood pressure that is (I didn't think <a href="http://www.jasondunn.com/more-technology-dysfunction-100">things could get any worse</a>). If you see any strange things going on, please let us know. Otherwise, back to our normally scheduled programming of gadget goodness! ;-)

patrickj
01-02-2007, 10:34 PM
Glad you're back up. Hope your stress level is reducing rapidly too ...

bkerrins
01-02-2007, 11:39 PM
Wohoo! It was you guys! I was afraid my work had somehow decided you were an off limits site and I would have to go without my daily fix of PPCT until I got home at night!

Glad you're back and hoping the rest of your 2007 is uphill from here.

Clinton Fitch
01-03-2007, 05:04 AM
Glad to see everything is back up and running.

MG
01-03-2007, 05:10 AM
So Jason, Have you got it handled? or do we need to set up a collection to buy a new server? After all, WE do beat it up from time to time......

MG

Joelacrane
01-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Tell us about the server. Where it is located, processing power, storage, ect...

I read about your shuttle, I've been in places like that before. When I was 14, I saved up all of my money about bought a Compaq Armada 4220T on eBay. For $160, I got a 6gb hard drive, 92mb of ram, a Pentium 266mhz MMX processor, and an Active Matrix screen. I loved it. I used it for everything a 14 year old kid could use a computer for, until one day, when I left it on my bed, idle. When I came back, it was completely dead.

It was my only computer too, besides an old 486 with 8mb of ram. Placing bids on eBay with that sucker was a nightmare! Now, I own... 1... 2... 3... uhhh... 7 working computers, all running Windows XP.

Anyways, thanks for getting it back up quickly. When Pocket PC Thoughts wouldn't come up I knew that somebody, somewhere was stressing.

Jason Dunn
01-03-2007, 11:40 PM
So Jason, Have you got it handled? or do we need to set up a collection to buy a new server? After all, WE do beat it up from time to time.

Things are ok for now, but thanks. ;-) We have two servers, but in a few months we'll be adding a third and de-commissioning our original server. So, two total, but one will be newer, faster, better, etc.

In terms of setting up a collection: while part of that appeals to me (hey, free money! ;-)) the truth is that the advertising is what pays the bills around here and relying on fund-raising isn't a sustainable business model - if I ever find myself backed into a corner with no way out, I'll definitely consider putting a call out to the community, but that would be a last-ditch resort. For now, if you're allowing the banners to load (and checking them out now and then) that's all I can ask of any visitor. :-)