View Full Version : Why cant we get a PPC Phone with a good camera, small form factor and all the bells and whistles

d-s-a-elwuero
12-27-2006, 04:06 AM
I now have a P3300 and love it BUT the camera is basically useless unles your outside in perfect lighting. My wish list:

PPC Phone
GPS
Good Speaker
Small Form Factor
5 MP Camera with flash
Nice screen
I dont need a keyboard.

Does anyone know of something in the works that has what I listed?

Darrin

JesterMania
12-27-2006, 06:46 AM
The 5mp camera pretty much cancels any PPC I know of, now and in the future. Not even the upcoming O2 Flame and HTC Athena are rumored to have that high-end of a camera. We just recently finished moving from 1.3 to 2.0mp technology so it'll be a while. :wink: Also, I doubt you'd ever get anything close to a "good" built-in speaker system, not unless you hook it to an external sound system (speaker, earbuds, etc.). I'd say your P3300 is as close as you'll get for now, though I'm personally excited about 2007, what with all the rumored VGA screens, large ROMs, etc.

Nurhisham Hussein
12-27-2006, 07:28 PM
The problem with having a high-MP camera in a small-form factor phone is that no matter what you stick in there, the results will be less than satisfactory. You need a decent sized aperture to get enough light in to the sensors for you to get half-decent photos.

d-s-a-elwuero
12-27-2006, 07:48 PM
The problem with having a high-MP camera in a small-form factor phone is that no matter what you stick in there, the results will be less than satisfactory. You need a decent sized aperture to get enough light in to the sensors for you to get half-decent photos.

What do you think about something like the upcoming Nokia N95? You seem to have some knowledge of this. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Darrin

Nurhisham Hussein
12-27-2006, 07:57 PM
You will notice that none of the Nokia N9x series cannot by any stretch of the imagination be called "small" :)

I use an SE k800i, and I've been eyeing the N93 for my wife - I'm quite happy with the results of the k800i, despite it's weaknesses (no optical zoom, weak flash). 3.2MP is quite enough resolution to my mind for normal 4R photos, more will just take up storage space. More important is the autofocus and color accuracy for which the k800i or the N73 or N93 would be more than adequate. Don't be misled by big MP numbers.

asiaexpat
12-29-2006, 03:27 AM
I am also considering the nokia n95 as my next phone. it is not big and at 120 grams is actaully quite light-my main concerns are getting used to not having a touchscreen and not having windows.

I really would like a touchscreen but wil sacrfice that for a good camera--

d-s-a-elwuero
12-29-2006, 04:13 AM
I am also considering the nokia n95 as my next phone. it is not big and at 120 grams is actaully quite light-my main concerns are getting used to not having a touchscreen and not having windows.

I have had so many PDA / PDA Phones, most of them with the touchscreen. (Palm, Sony, Imate, Dopod, HTC's, Microsoft and Nokia) I thought it would be hard to get used to not having a touchscreen but you get used to it quickly. One good thing about the non touchscreen is everything can be done with one hand. I had a Nokia N93 and found it very easy to navigate. I saw a N95 at a Podcast show in Ontario, CA a few months back at a Nokia booth and held it, saw the screen and slider function. It was a very nice looking unit. I will buy one for sure and compare it to the P3300 and keep the one I like the best.

asiaexpat
12-29-2006, 04:19 AM

I have had so many PDA / PDA Phones, most of them with the touchscreen. (Palm, Sony, Imate, Dopod, HTC's, Microsoft and Nokia) I thought it would be hard to get used to not having a touchscreen but you get used to it quickly. One good thing about the non touchscreen is everything can be done with one hand. I had a Nokia N93 and found it very easy to navigate. I saw a N95 at a Podcast show in Ontario, CA a few months back at a Nokia booth and held it, saw the screen and slider function. It was a very nice looking unit. I will buy one for sure and compare it to the P3300 and keep the one I like the best.

thats good to hear--my other concern is cost--here in thailand the n95 will probably gop for around 700-800 US--can buy a new laptop for that price