View Full Version : Pocket Earth

Wildchild121007
12-25-2006, 11:43 AM
What does it do except move a pic of a planet around.

Why cant you zoom into the uk? And is there any other software out there that you can.

Great site, Thanks Ant.

Sven Johannsen
12-26-2006, 04:42 AM
Well, you can zoom in, but probably not to the level you are probably wanting. Pocket Earth is a very macro view of the whole planet. You can descend to the point that most of the UK and Europe fill the screen, but not much more than that. You should take a read through the help file that is included (hit the question mark and give it a chance) to see all the things you can do.

If you are looking for a road map of the UK, you need to look at something like TomTom, or even AutoRoute, if GPS use isn't a factor. When you do that though you are going to be stuck in the UK. You aren't going to be able to see the US, or South America, possibly not even areas in Europe.

The deal is the amount of data involved to get the detail. The macro level of the whole Earth is doable, and the micro level of UK, or other places is doable on the small PPC devices. I don't think you are going to find anything that lets you look at the Earth from space and zoom in to your block on a PPC.

Wildchild121007
12-27-2006, 09:05 PM
When i say zoom in ,i cant zoom in at all, you highlight were u want to zoom in and it just shows the uk as a whole.

How i understand it is that u can use your pocket earth with the internet and zoom about places like google earth, is that correct? As i have the new HSDPA connection and can get up to 155k sec, which im hoping will run it fine.

Sven Johannsen
12-28-2006, 05:21 AM
Are you talking about Pocket Earth from Blue Point Studios, or Virtual Earth Mobile? The first doesn't do anything along with an internet connection that I am aware of other than weather. I am running V3.4 which seems to be the latest.

Virtual Earth Mobile, on the other hand, is designed to work with the internet, getting map view dynamically from the Web data source.