View Full Version : Need to clean up memory

Shumboom
12-23-2006, 01:20 PM
Hi

I have found some files in the windows directory called CTO.002 (2Mb) and CTO.001 (1Mb)

Does anyone know what these files are?

Also is there any advantage to doing a hard reset and re-installing my apps in terms of speed and space. I have removed all programs I dont require already.

A last question is I have a game on my My CompactFlash - how do I put a shortcut to it in the programs directory?

Thanks,Shumit

Ipaq 2410 running PPC 2003

JesterMania
12-23-2006, 04:50 PM
Hi

I have found some files in the windows directory called CTO.002 (2Mb) and CTO.001 (1Mb)

Does anyone know what these files are?

Also is there any advantage to doing a hard reset and re-installing my apps in terms of speed and space. I have removed all programs I dont require already.

A last question is I have a game on my My CompactFlash - how do I put a shortcut to it in the programs directory?

Thanks,Shumit

Ipaq 2410 running PPC 2003

I have no clue what those files are but in terms of doing a hard reset, it could potentially help. I've found it helped me in cases where a large number of programs were removed, but somehow their settings were still retained in registry, etc.

Making a shortcut is simple. Tap-hold on the .exe file until the menu pops out and tap on Copy. Then, tap-hold on the blank space in the same window and the menu will pop out again, tap on Paste Shortcut. Then cut the shortcut to the \Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder.

isajoo
12-24-2006, 07:42 AM
i actually had a similar problem today...was going to do a hard reset and re install apps, but i have got to a point where many apps i have already installed will will need to be freshly installed/customized. so i just tried to fix the few apps that where giving me a hard time. works for now, but a hard reset does clean up a lot of garbage. i have done it in the past, but its getting harder/ more time consuming. most games on memory cards will work even after a hard reset. but most today screen apps require full reinstalls. if u have the time/patience go for it, but make a back up 1st, u will need it. use activesync backup builtin or a 3rd part app. also copy all data from all memory cards and try to make a habit of it, it comes in handy when things go bad.

Shumboom
12-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Thanks for your replies, I will keep struggling on until I really need the space .

Now I have a more urgent problem - my 2410 stopped reading the SD card - the card works fine in the card reader - just not being recognised by the ipaq.

This is a real emergency now! Should I poke a cotton bud down the slot and hope for the best. (':cry:')

schmenge
12-24-2006, 06:02 PM
Any way to try another card or try your card in another device? At least then you will know if it the card or the ppc.

Shumboom
12-24-2006, 09:40 PM
No the cards works fine in my card reader - its definitely the ipaq. Just outside the warranty now as well..

schmenge
12-24-2006, 10:31 PM
No the cards works fine in my card reader - its definitely the ipaq. Just outside the warranty now as well..

Before sticking anything in the slot, I would try copying everything on your card to your PC, reformatting the card, move the data back and see if that works. If it does not I'd try blowing out the slot with a can of compressed air.