View Full Version : Transfering Contacts from only a Backup File. Help please!

inferno846
12-19-2006, 07:34 AM
Hey, I've been with pocket pc phones for quite a few years now. My first one was the old Hitachi G1000. Each time I upgraded phones, I would manually re-enter all my contacts. My Audiovox 6600 recently suffered from a screen fracture and the touch screen no longer works. The phone was hard reset and all my RAM data lost. I have a backup file created using the xBackup program included with the ppc 2003SE device.

THE PROBLEM: I had many important contacts and all of their numbers, email addresses, etc are gone. I can not use the pocket pc restore function as I can not input the information needed due to my malfunctioned touch screen. Is there any way I can salvage the names, numbers, etc from the compact flash back up file?? It's not a valid pocket pc application or a windows app... How can I get the data from it? The pocket pc obviously does it some how when it performs the restore function. The backup file is called "CompactFlashBackUpPim" if that's any use. Can someone help me please? If you have aim or msn, I'd prefer you told me your resolutions through there as I will not check this forum as often as my instant messages. My aim=ImTheRealInferno and my [email protected] . Thanks!

Menneisyys
12-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Hey, I've been with pocket pc phones for quite a few years now. My first one was the old Hitachi G1000. Each time I upgraded phones, I would manually re-enter all my contacts. My Audiovox 6600 recently suffered from a screen fracture and the touch screen no longer works. The phone was hard reset and all my RAM data lost. I have a backup file created using the xBackup program included with the ppc 2003SE device.

THE PROBLEM: I had many important contacts and all of their numbers, email addresses, etc are gone. I can not use the pocket pc restore function as I can not input the information needed due to my malfunctioned touch screen. Is there any way I can salvage the names, numbers, etc from the compact flash back up file?? It's not a valid pocket pc application or a windows app... How can I get the data from it? The pocket pc obviously does it some how when it performs the restore function. The backup file is called "CompactFlashBackUpPim" if that's any use. Can someone help me please? If you have aim or msn, I'd prefer you told me your resolutions through there as I will not check this forum as often as my instant messages. My aim=ImTheRealInferno and my [email protected] . Thanks!

Please DO follow my articles - I've even written a tool to do this. See http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&title=extract_contacts_names_and_numbers_from&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1 for more info.

Note that it'll only restore numbers, not e-mail addresses. This might be more than nothing, though.