View Full Version : wireless instead of gprs?

RogerStenning
12-16-2006, 09:32 PM
OK, here's the problem: I'm new at all this wireless malarky, and need a few pointers:

I pay through the nose for gprs data transfer (three quid per meg!), and using wireless through a LAN it's be a damn sight cheaper - and faster :) Given that I'm normally in an EDGE covered area when I find wireless hotspots, how do I avoid using GPRS in error, when I mean to use Wireless?

Thanks in advance :)

Roger

Cybrid
12-17-2006, 05:18 AM
OK, here's the problem: I'm new at all this wireless malarky, and need a few pointers:

I pay through the nose for gprs data transfer (three quid per meg!), and using wireless through a LAN it's be a damn sight cheaper - and faster :) Given that I'm normally in an EDGE covered area when I find wireless hotspots, how do I avoid using GPRS in error, when I mean to use Wireless?

Thanks in advance :)

RogerStrange...Doesn't your device show a confirmation dialogue before connecting to GPRS? Otherwise You could note the IP of the hotspot gateway and confirm your connection by either pinging or simply addressing it in Internet Explorer.

RogerStenning
12-17-2006, 06:45 AM
Yes, it's showing that whenever GPRS is available - snag is, GPRS is almost always available, Edge too (though not in my home location - go figure, lol); problem is, while I can find the hotspots, how do I know it's wireless and not GPRS/EDGE that I'm using, once I fire up mobile IE?

Sven Johannsen
12-17-2006, 05:58 PM
First make sure that WiFi is actually turned on. Sounds obvious, but most people don't wander around with it that way due to battery life. Then note the icons at the top of the screen. A GPRS or Edge connection has a distinctive appearance at the strength indicator icon. Not the big E or G that shows it is available, but at the Ant/strength location. WiFi connection is a differen icon when connected. You should be able to kill a GPRS/Edge connection by holding down the end call button.

I'd make sure I was connected or logged into a WiFi spot, before ever trying to open a web page. Then watch to see if the GPRS/Edge attempts to start.

RogerStenning
12-17-2006, 11:23 PM

Roger