View Full Version : speech recognition

PiPod
12-14-2006, 11:56 PM
Anyone use it? What do you have? How does it work? Happy with it? Been looking at this: http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking/ is it good?

Sven Johannsen
12-15-2006, 04:33 AM
I assume you are talking about on a desktop or laptop. What OS are you running? XP? Have you tried just using the speech recognition capability it comes with?

PiPod
12-18-2006, 07:40 PM
I assume you are talking about on a desktop or laptop. What OS are you running? XP? Have you tried just using the speech recognition capability it comes with?

Actually, I just got vista and I did try vista voice. Was not impressed at all. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd imagine a stand alone program like Dragon would automatically perform better than whatever is included in the OS.

Sven Johannsen
12-19-2006, 04:25 AM
Been a long time since I played with Dragon. I recall the training took up a lot of time. I found the native dictation cpability on Tablet PCs pretty good, especially if used with a decent mic. I would expect Vista to be similar. Haven't tried it yet. Guess you have to wait for someone with experience with both to compare for you.

To be honest I haven't often been in a situation where dictate to a PC was all that appropriate. Don't do that much input at home, and when playing I constantly have to respond to the "WHAT? Are you talking to me?" "You're doing what?" At work I have mostly been blessed with cube farms, and there is enough random speech with folks having conversations with each other and on the phone, without adding to the cacophony by talking to a box.

jezebelus
04-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd imagine a stand alone program like Dragon would automatically perform better than whatever is included in the OS.

He, he every standalone software is better then MS build in crap.