View Full Version : Have you de-converged?

Anjuan Simmons
12-13-2006, 07:18 PM
For years I sought the perfect all in one converged mobile device. The "One Device to Rule Them All" that would serve as my mobile phone, PDA, push email manager, media player, and camera. As ambitious as this sounded, devices that could serve this function began to appear around 2004. The flagship model has been the Treo 650 and her descendants. Since the Palm OS didn't meet my personal requirements (and before the Trea 700wx came to market), I purchased the Sprint PPC-6700 and felt that I had entered my Nirvana. Until, of course, I realized that my Nirvana had elements of Hades hidden within . . .

My 6700 was great as a PDA (especially when using the comfortable sliding keyboard!) and mobile email device, but it was far below average in the other areas. The call quality was poor for me and anyone with whom I talked. The camera was only 1.3 MP and had limited settings and poor picture quality. While the 6700 could play video and audio files, the largest storage card I could find was 5 GB which was about a quarter of my music library. So, my "Device of Doom" was more of a "Device of Duds" (except for the PDA and push email functions).

So, a couple of days ago, I decided to "de-converge" and traded my 6700 in for the Samsung M610 (a nice slim phone) and purchased a T-Mobile Dash to use as my PDA. I also decided to carry my wife's 60 GB iPod (which she kept stored in one of our kitchen drawers amongst the aluminum foil and ziplock sandwich bags - no more tech gifts for her on Mother's Day!) and use our Canon S2 digital camera when I need to take a picture. That leaves me with three devices that I carry with me (M610, Dash, and iPod) and one that I bring only when needed (the S2). So, I have a lot more devices to manage, but I can now listen to my entire music collection with excellent sound quality and actually have a crystal clear phone conversation on my M610. I can even talk on my mobile phone and compose and send an email on my Dash which was impossible to do on my 6700 (the data connection would not operate while a call was in session).

Has anyone else "de-converged" in order to gain the best of breed in multiple devices instead of one device that sucks in a lot of areas? I think that the one true "all-in-one" mobile device is at least five years away until we can shrink high end parts down to a size where they fit in a pocketable form factor. Until then, I'll just have to make sure my pants have sufficiently large pockets!

Cybrid
12-13-2006, 09:15 PM
My 6700 was great as a PDA (especially when using the comfortable sliding keyboard!) and mobile email device, but it was far below average in the other areas. The call quality was poor for me and anyone with whom I talked. The camera was only 1.3 MP and had limited settings and poor picture quality. While the 6700 could play video and audio files, the largest storage card I could find was 5 GB which was about a quarter of my music library. So, my "Device of Doom" was more of a "Device of Duds" (except for the PDA and push email functions). While the 6700 has issues in receptivity, call quality on mine is clear. I think that you are overestimating what a converged device should be able to do.

The 1.3Mp is for shots when you didn't happen to have a camera. Like buying or using a disposable camera when the $$$ pro camera is at home.

Overall a decent phone...YMMV :lol:

I can even talk on my mobile phone and compose and send an email on my Dash which was impossible to do on my 6700 (the data connection would not operate while a call was in session). Yes, an unfortunate limitation of EVDO, Rev A will have better bandwidth and will be able to handle voice and email.

Has anyone else "de-converged" in order to gain the best of breed in multiple devices instead of one device that sucks in a lot of areas? I think that the one true "all-in-one" mobile device is at least five years away until we can shrink high end parts down to a size where they fit in a pocketable form factor. Until then, I'll just have to make sure my pants have sufficiently large pockets! I, like you purchased the 6700 initially to rid myself of the phone and pda combo. I didn't expect it to replace my camera. While I don't own all that much media, or a dedicated PMP...more memory would always be nice. I remain semi-deconverged since I find the 6700 small as a PDA and prefer the larger more comfortable screen of the X50v. HTH.

SteveHoward999
12-13-2006, 10:25 PM
Your reasons for de-converging echo many of my reasons for never converging in the first place.

But I do have a confession to make :oops:

Earlier this year I bought a Nokia 6682 to use as my phone and to partner with my aging Toshiba E830 PDA. The pone is great, pretty powerful, has loads of additional software options and, like all Nokias in my experience, a good all-round device. The camera is even decent - not great, but decent.

However, it is completely hopeless for any text-based applications. I don't care what the tenagers say, the phone keeyboard is no good for typing! So I looked around, and found that Cingular have the Nokia E62. It's a great phone - although not perfect. It has a full keyboard, better support for Word, Excel and Powerpoint than I've had from any other device out-of-the-box. It has an impressive web browser too! The QVGA screen is even OK. No camera, but I have a decent-enough digital camera ... plus I can always take the 6682 with me if I want to have something for taking snaps.

So now the E62 is my main device :oops: And here I was just a couple of weeks ago laughing at the form factor of the Dash etc.

Meanwhile, my E830 is relegated to eBook reading only. Without a keyboard it just does not cut it for my day-to-day needs, and definitley not for my on-the-road 'office' needs.

I'll definitely be looking out for a PDA/Phone device once VGA screens are more available in the next next year or so, but for now I'm happy with my little arsenal:-

E830 for 'home' use as alarm clock and eBook reader
Reasonable digital camera (Casio something or other)
6682 for days when I might want to take snaps
E62 for more serious 'office on the road' days
iPod for music
XM Radio for music

With VGA screens, keyboards, better cameras, faster internet and larger memory capacities all coming to converged devices, I can see a time when I may be happy to forget the iPod and XM Radio and the camera, but I am not certain that I'll want to completely give up the strengths of individual devices over multiple toys :-)

veethree
12-14-2006, 10:28 AM
Funnily enough, I de-converged just a few days ago. After owning an iPaq hx4700 for about a year, I decided to try an HTC Prophet because I was tired of carrying two devices (pda and phone) around the whole time. However, I soon discovered that the screen size and processor speed of the Prophet meant that I couldn't use it for the myriad of different things that I'd used the hx4700 for, despite it being very nice not to have to carry two devices around.

My point? Non-convergence is a compromise on some things and convergence is a compromise on others. What you have to decide is what will suit your particular usage patterns. In my case, having a pda with a large, high resolution screen and quick processor was more important than having one with built in phone capabilities. I've now gone back to the hx4700 and am happier living with non-convergence compromises.

This may change when the Flame comes out, though.

Brad Adrian
12-16-2006, 11:35 PM
Over the years, I've bounced back and forth between converged and non-converged systems. I'd try things one way for awhile, and when I eventually got tired of the compromises, I'd switch back to the other approach.

Like others have said, the choice depends entirely upon what features are most important to you and which compromises you can tolerate. For me, I thought having a gorgeous screen and speed were the most important. But, once I gave my Wizard a chance, I found out that the convenience of getting to my e-mail, to text messages, to the Internet began to outweigh the inconeniences of a QVGA screen and extremely limited memory.

So, for the time being at least, I'm back to being converged...

angler
12-17-2006, 02:11 PM
Like others have said, the choice depends entirely upon what features are most important to you and which compromises you can tolerate...
Yes, exactly. I just cannot accept the phone function of convergent device, and I have to charge my Xda Atom every 2 days with very limited calls. If new OS can significantly improve the phone function and the battery can last longer, I would carry only one device.

Janak Parekh
12-17-2006, 05:57 PM
Has anyone else "de-converged" in order to gain the best of breed in multiple devices instead of one device that sucks in a lot of areas?
I've been through this cycle numerous times over the years, and I've decided that I must have a PDA/phone, no matter what. I've got two very good reasons: a) address book management/sync is a pain on a "dumb phone", and b) applications like texting, email, and Internet access are important to me, and it's a lot more convenient to do these on a connected device than over a BT setup.

The Treo 700w, RAM aside, is a very good device for this, as it's a top-notch phone and a decent PDA. I'm more than willing to give up some of the high-end PDA features for this compromise. I'm looking forward to the 750, which solves most of my issues with the 700w. I will note that the last time I deconverged, I got fed up with my full-screen Pocket PC Phone, as it made for a lousy phone experience -- especially when dialing while walking down the street.

Now, that said, I don't use my Treo for music, as I find that experience subpar. I also happen to carry an iPod nano for music; does that make me "semi-converged"? ;) Since the nano is so small, I find it an unobtrusive addition to my pants pockets.

--janak

Janak Parekh
12-17-2006, 05:59 PM
Yes, exactly. I just cannot accept the phone function of convergent device, and I have to charge my Xda Atom every 2 days with very limited calls. If new OS can significantly improve the phone function and the battery can last longer, I would carry only one device.
Well, you're assuming it's the OS's fault that the battery doesn't last long enough. That's not necessarily true. Several Pocket PC Phones have excellent battery life. The Atom is particularly small, so it's very possible they compromised the battery life for the form factor.

(Also, what's wrong with charging every night? I find this to be by far the easiest way to do things. I don't have to remember the last day I charged, etc., and if I use a device heavily one day, I don't have to worry about it running down the next.)

--janak

vilasman
12-17-2006, 06:06 PM
I have a Ipaq 4700 and a T-mobile MDA and I carry both of them most of the time. I am trying to find a decent not to expensive case for the ipaq though.
I can do most everything on the MDA that I can on the Ipaq, but while I actually like the screen on the MDA and sometimes it seems to be brighter than the screen on the Ipaq, the Ipaq is more expandable memory wise, the screen is bigger, yada yada yada.
I was suprised at how good windows live search looked on my MDA but I have never run GPS software on the ipaq so I maybe even more awed by it.
I like running live search traffic on the MDA because i think the battery will hold up longer.
I too am looking forward to the flame, I wish it had a slide out keyboard which is convient for taking notes and for SMS, Email and instant messenger.

I dont see myself ever giving up my 4700 cause if nothing else it makes a boss home remote control and I am planning on getting a second one as a back up and doing the memory upgrade on at least one of them.
I probably will buy something to top the MDA next year.,

tom dunne
12-18-2006, 02:55 PM
Has anyone else "de-converged" in order to gain the best of breed in multiple devices instead of one device that sucks in a lot of areas? I think that the one true "all-in-one" mobile device is at least five years away until we can shrink high end parts down to a size where they fit in a pocketable form factor. Until then, I'll just have to make sure my pants have sufficiently large pockets!

No, I have just "converged" and I will never de-converge.

My Atom has everything I need in it - phone, PDA, FM Radio, mp3 player, acceptable camera (2mp), wifi and bluetooth.

I couldn't imagine carrying all those devices around with me again.

Brad Adrian
12-18-2006, 06:44 PM
I also happen to carry an iPod nano for music...
I'm usually in my car when I listen to music, so I don't need anything quite as compact as a Nano. I've been using a Zen 30GB MP3 player for a couple of years. It's nice to have some music loaded on my Pocket PC, but it's even nicer to have ALL of my music handy on one 30GB player.

That way, I don't have to worry about whether I've got the right music for the many shades of my emotions and moods (That's right, I AM complex and deep!). ;)

gunner6666
12-20-2006, 04:43 AM
I've used my mda for texting and calling people, taking photos, surfing the internet, viewing local and streaming media, playing game's and that includes emulation. While it does the job fairly well I have to say it does not compare to my devices made for that specific task. That said I'm not willing to carry over 1,000 dollars worth of gadgets for fear of getting jacked, I also don't that many pockets. So staying converged has been the best option for me.

Cybrid
12-21-2006, 10:54 PM
I also happen to carry an iPod nano for music; does that make me "semi-converged"? ;) Since the nano is so small, I find it an unobtrusive addition to my pants pockets.

--janakIf you're ever interested in a superb replacement
Try this one. (http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/review/insignia_ns_dv2g_and_ns_da1g_digital_media_players)

Remarkably smooth video playback. Easy to use converter from Arcsoft. Replaceable battery. microSD capable. Bought two for the kids. They love them.
Specs:
Product Details

Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year
Warranty Terms - Labor 1 year
Product Height 4"
Product Width 1.8"
Product Weight 2.4 oz.
Product Depth 0.6"
Storage Type Flash memory
Built-In Storage Capacity 2GB (actual formatted capacity less)
Included Removable Memory None
Removable Memory Type microSD
Digital Audio Format Upgradable Yes
Computer Compatibility PC and Mac
Digital Audio Formats MP3
PlaysForSure Compatibility Yes
Battery Size Lithium-ion
Battery Quantity 1
Battery Life Up to 20 hours
Available Expansion Slots 1
Connection Transfer Rate USB 2.0
Tuner Type Analog FM
Station Presets 20
Headphone Type Ear buds
Included Accessories Carrying case, USB cable, ear bud headphones, CD-ripping software
System Requirements Windows 98 or later; Mac OS 8.6 or later; USB port; CD-ROM drive

Janak Parekh
12-22-2006, 12:36 AM
If you're ever interested in a superb replacement
Try this one. (http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/review/insignia_ns_dv2g_and_ns_da1g_digital_media_players)
Thanks for the feedback, although I think the discussion on which MP3 player to get is better suited to DMT, not PPCT. In any case, if I were to get a nano-replacement, my first choice would probably be a Sensa; I like the design, they're a large company, they're likely to stay in the market. However, since I'm a) a Mac user; b) have AAC tracks; and c) am happy with the nano, especially the thinness, which enables me to stick it in a pocket along with a wallet without making my pocket bulge, I'm not likely to change soon. ;)

--janak

Cybrid
12-22-2006, 02:06 AM
If you're ever interested in a superb replacement
Thanks for the feedback, although I think the discussion on which MP3 player to get is better suited to DMT, not PPCT. In any case, if I were to get a nano-replacement, my first choice would probably be a Sensa; I like the design, they're a large company, they're likely to stay in the market. However, since I'm a) a Mac user; b) have AAC tracks; and c) am happy with the nano, especially the thinness, which enables me to stick it in a pocket along with a wallet without making my pocket bulge, I'm not likely to change soon. ;)

--janakTrue. That this discussion is better suited to DMT but I thought I'd mention it. Insignia is a division of Best Buy ergo not going anywhere soon either. This is MAC compatible but I cannot personally attest to how much. File, Codecs, etc I defer to your judgement. I just hope the nano's non-user replaceable battery, lack of video playback, tuner, lack of memory card slot at a higher price aren't "selling features". :lol: Just playin, You are happy with it and that makes it the best choice. :thumbsup: :werenotworthy:

maximus
12-22-2006, 04:34 AM
Ah, the pain of convergence.

Like Janak, I have been 'cycling' through the cycles also. Here is my story:

1. Dell axim X5 + Motorola V600
2. Various PDA and phone models
3. O2 XDA 2s <-- Convergence! Phone to PDA to music player to camera.
4. O2 XDA 2s + Motorola V3 (Secondary number for free roaming)
5. O2 XDA 2s <-- Second convergence. New company, less travelling, no need for secondary number
6. O2 XDA 2s + Motorola V3 + IBM laptop (company issued)
7. Dopod 838 <-- Third convergence. New company.
8. O2 XDA 2s + Dopod 838 (838 is used mainly for voicecalls and for text messaging only. TI OMAP 850 is simply too lame for serious/professional use)

For now, the hope for convergence is gone.
Of course until there is a device with the following spec :

1. 3G + HSDPA
2. Sliding keyboard
3. 400mhz (or faster) processor
4. 3.5" screen
5. Two SIM slots (I know, stop pushing my luck ;p)

Phillip Dyson
01-01-2007, 11:32 PM
Excellent post Anjuan!

I've gone back and forth myself.

My sequence goes like this:
Toshiba e830 + Motorola v600
Toshiba e830 + smt-5600
ETEN m500
Toshiba e830 + smt-5600
Toshiba e830 + Cingular 2125
HTC TyTN

I de-converged for a time because I missed the large VGA screen and powerful processor of my e830. Still do actually. But eventually I missed the ability to have my PIM data with me at all times. A converged device was pretty close to connected all the time. So I could check email and sync with a hosted Exchange account.

No I'm back to converged because its just easy to carry a single device during my busy work day. Plus I can check email and surf during my brief down moments.

My current arsenal consists of:
HTC TyTN - daily driver
Cingular 3125 - usually swap to on weekends, if I'm going out for social reasons
Toshiba e830 - still trying to find a place for it. Tried using it purely for GPS navigation, but as its a WM2003SE, I loose everything if I don't keep it charged. Maybe some kind of home use where it can stay on its cradle.
Creative Zen:M - portable music player

CTSLICK
01-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Interesting discussion. I am hearing the siren song of convergence loud and clear. My Dell X5 is still capable but its aging and I've stopped carrying to anywhere but work due to its size. Furthermore my needs for a PDA have changed. Two years ago I was editing Word docs and Excel spreadsheets often and using Acrobat Reader to access manuals. Last year those needs dwindled away to be replaced by the need for internet access and email. Tethering to my cell phone works pretty well but its not seamless to get connected and push/pull email solutions don't work.

So it seems like I am positioned pretty well to benefit from a converged device and accept the compromises. Size is my biggest concern. I am looking at the 700wx or maybe the upcoming 6800 with Sprint when renewal time rolls around this year in June. I was hoping that Sprint would get something smartphone-ish but that looks like a pipe dream at this point.

PS: Converged for me means just a phone and a PDA. Camera? Not a consideration, don't use it. Media player, no thanks, my iPod does that job far too well.