View Full Version : Upgrade iPaq 4705 and WM5

CJC
12-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Hi,

I currently use a HP iPaq 4705 Pocket PC PDA running Windows CE 4.21. I primarily use Agenda Fusion on it for sceduling, tasks and contacts. I think the machine is great although the synching using Active Sync 3.8 is not as good as it should be.

I have some questions:

1. Should I move up to Windows Mobile 5? is there a downside to upgrading?

2. My iPaq is a a bit old. I would like to buy a new one, but i'm not sure which. I want a powerful and fast Pocket PC with a great screen (I am spolied with the iPaq's 480 x 640 TFT display). I am not that interested in a Palm at this time, and from what I have heard the Palm Treo 700w is not that great. I have heard good things about the Dell Axim, but I'd rather not go Dell.

Can you you give me some suggestions? Thanks.

Nurhisham Hussein
12-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Welcome to PPCT!

To answer your questions:

1. There are a couple of long threads on the WM5 upgrade for your iPaq - I'd suggest using the forum search function. The short version is it's worthwhile if you're prepared to do a bit of hacking.

2. There are a few VGA pocket pc's around that you might want to look at that aren't called Dell, unfortunately most of them are not available in the US - Loox N560, Loox C550, Acer N311, and the one most everyone is panting over, the O2 Flame which should be released next year. Have a look through this link (http://www.firstloox.org/VGAppc.htm). There are others of course like the Sharp WZero3, but they're really hard to get and may come with a different language OS.

CJC
12-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Thanks.
If i was open to Dell, would one of their products be the one to get?

Nurhisham Hussein
12-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Only the x51v has a VGA screen, so that's about your only choice. I believe the Acer is available in the States, but you'll have to look pretty hard. In any case, apart from the screen quality, the Dell is the superior machine.