View Full Version : Best Multi-Network IM Client?

Phillip Dyson
12-11-2006, 01:43 AM
I'm looking for multi-network IM client for my TyTN. Naturally I went to Agile first, since its the one that I hear so much about. But when I went to pay I found out that its a subscription model. I'm not crazy about that.

There seem to be a few out there. I'm wondering, which one is the best. Or are there drastic differences between them.

Here's what I found:
• Agile Messenger
• imov Messenger
• WebMessenger
• IM+

mscdex
12-11-2006, 02:39 AM
Naturally I went to Agile first, since its the one that I hear so much about. But when I went to pay I found out that its a subscription model.

I think the subscription model is for phones. Anyhow, I've been using the Beta download that is on Agile Mobile's site for PPC (albeit on WM2003) for a long time now with no problems. Works pretty good and even has some nice-ities like one-handed navigation of IMs and whatnot.

As far as the rest, I haven't tried them yet, I've always used Agile Messenger for as long as I can remember.

victore
12-11-2006, 07:10 AM
Philip, I was surprised when I tried to register the latest beta of Agile Messenger for Windows Mobile and discovered the subscription model as well. I use a Qtek 9100, so it seems like Agile is moving in that direction for their Pocket PC versions of their software.

islandsnow
12-13-2006, 07:57 PM
my agile stopped working after a while saying i need to purchase. how long have you been using agile without it stopping on you?

Naturally I went to Agile first, since its the one that I hear so much about. But when I went to pay I found out that its a subscription model.

I think the subscription model is for phones. Anyhow, I've been using the Beta download that is on Agile Mobile's site for PPC (albeit on WM2003) for a long time now with no problems. Works pretty good and even has some nice-ities like one-handed navigation of IMs and whatnot.

As far as the rest, I haven't tried them yet, I've always used Agile Messenger for as long as I can remember.

victore
12-13-2006, 11:57 PM
islandnow, i'm not a regular user of agile messenger, but when i tried to use it last week, that's when i saw the message.

corrupt81
12-16-2006, 01:29 AM
Does anyone know if IM+ uses data for messages? (Versus text messages)

I almost went with Agile as well, but there's no way I'm going to pay a monthly fee just to use it (mine as well stick with my text messages) on the other hand, IM+ seems to be a one-time fee to buy it and then it's yours..

victore
12-16-2006, 01:51 AM
Does anyone know if the GAIM developers or Trillian developers are porting to Windows Mobile?

Menneisyys
12-18-2006, 07:32 PM
BTW, in the near future, I'll publish a BIG roundup of all these applications - stay tuned :)

victore
12-20-2006, 06:40 AM
Menneisyys, I can't wait.

Menneisyys
12-21-2006, 07:13 AM
Menneisyys, I can't wait.

Will come really soon - hopefully still this year. First, I publish my roundup of all remote controller apps.

kosmos
01-03-2007, 10:15 PM
I've used IM+ for a while, mainly for YM, It works okay for Yahoo, but does not have all the features that you get used to in YM , like stealth modes etc so its very basic in that regard.

Joelacrane
01-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Last I heard, Cerulean Studios had NO intentions of porting Trillian 3.1 to Palm OS, Windows Mobile, or Linux (My brother has Trillian 3.1 running on Linux Fedora Core 6 with WINE). However...

"Surprise! We're unveiling a new, web-based version of Trillian Astra today. It's in a very early stage right now but the basics are all in place - expect swift progress moving forward. We have quite a few exciting ideas and plans for our web edition and can't wait to share them with you all! On Win32 and OSX, and available to approved testers only."

Whats this? A web-based version? Here is a picture:
http://blog.ceruleanstudios.com/TrillianWeb-Vista.jpg

Doesn't look like PIE would run it though, does it? Oh well.

Looking forward to that article Menneisyys!

rookcnu
01-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Here is a vote for Trillian mobile version. I love it on my pc's and would love to see it on my ppc phone.

Menneisyys
02-23-2007, 07:57 PM
Looking forward to that article Menneisyys!

Just posted the comparison / feature chart to http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54047 . It seems I'll only publish the main article tomorrow.