View Full Version : WANTED: BROKEN X50v/X501v

Typhoon
12-03-2006, 08:26 AM
I need the screen/digitizer for my X50v. I really don't have a lot of money and can only offer $40 for it. Please let me know if you have a broken x50v/x51v to sell to me. Or just the screen.

ADBrown
12-03-2006, 06:33 PM
Are you looking for the whole screen, or just the digitizer? If it's the latter, you can get them for $50 from PDAParts.com, though they're sold out right at the moment. If you need the whole LCD, I doubt that you're going to be able to find one for $40. Those would likely go for at least twice that, maybe more. I know that they're $100 on eBay, and $190 on PDAParts.

Typhoon
12-03-2006, 08:26 PM
Ohhh I see. So what is the difference between the two? My PDA ended up in the washer and dryer, but it still powers on and syncs. Weird, huh? But the screen gets horizontal or vertical lines, though the screen is not cracked. I think the PDA is still good. I don't know whether it is the digitizer or the whole screen I need. Any idea whether it is the digitizer or the glass or both that I need?

ADBrown
12-04-2006, 06:57 AM
The digitizer is the transparent, touch-sensitive layer on top. Beneath that is the actual LCD.

I'm not sure that you may need to replace anything--for starters, are you sure that the unit is fully dry, inside and out? I assume you've tried resets. There's also a possibility that the LCD ribbon cable came loose while it was knocking around in the dryer. If you're good with electronics repair, or know someone who is, you might try opening it up and reseating the cables.

Failing all that, if you actually need to replace a part, it would be the LCD itself that would need it. You might be able to score a complete LCD/digitizer assembly on eBay for about $100, then resell your existing digitizer for around $40-$50, bringing the price closer to your practical range.

Typhoon
12-04-2006, 11:11 PM
The digitizer is the transparent, touch-sensitive layer on top. Beneath that is the actual LCD.

I'm not sure that you may need to replace anything--for starters, are you sure that the unit is fully dry, inside and out? I assume you've tried resets. There's also a possibility that the LCD ribbon cable came loose while it was knocking around in the dryer. If you're good with electronics repair, or know someone who is, you might try opening it up and reseating the cables.

Failing all that, if you actually need to replace a part, it would be the LCD itself that would need it. You might be able to score a complete LCD/digitizer assembly on eBay for about $100, then resell your existing digitizer for around $40-$50, bringing the price closer to your practical range.

Oh I see. Thanks a lot for informing me. I was told that if you see vertical or horizontal gray and black lines, then the screen needs to be replaced. I don't remember if the person said it was the digitizer or the LCD screen. Yea, now that you mention it, I should try to open it and check out the ribbon. I believe it was dry inside and out. But after I had taken out dryer, I was disappointed that it wouldn't turn on. But I waited a few days, and lo and behold, after pressing the power button it work. I even did a soft and hard reset which made the chime sounds. And it even synced w/my computer when I put it into the cradle. So it does sound like it still functions in some way. But what else is wrong w/it beside the screen, I don't know. I remember that I could not find any of the screwdrivers required to open the PDA before. But now I can find them on eBay. I will have to check this out.

ADBrown
12-06-2006, 07:27 AM
If it helps, the scewdriver needed is a Torx size T5, and a very small Phillips-head. A screwdriver sold for glasses repair should do for the latter.

Typhoon
12-06-2006, 07:34 PM
If it helps, the scewdriver needed is a Torx size T5, and a very small Phillips-head. A screwdriver sold for glasses repair should do for the latter.

Thanks a lot for informing me. This should help out a lot.