View Full Version : Internet Access without GPRS on IPAQ 6945

cdsdonham
11-30-2006, 09:32 PM
I have an IPAQ 6945, but do not use the internet enough to warrent paying for GPRS (usually, when I want to get on the web, I'm able to just use the WIFI connection).

There are occasions, however, when it would be nice to be able to just dial in using a conventional dial-up account.

I can't figure out how to configure the IPAQ to be its own dial up modem without using GPRS. It seems like a driver that should allow this is missing?

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks.

Chris

Nurhisham Hussein
11-30-2006, 10:14 PM
There are occasions, however, when it would be nice to be able to just dial in using a conventional dial-up account.

Sorry Chris can't be done, at least not in the way you think. You'd still need to have a data account with your service provider, and it would be slower than GPRS. Not many service providers even allow this anymore.

BTW, welcome to PPCT!

cdsdonham
11-30-2006, 10:25 PM
But I don't need the support of the service provider. I have DSL at home. My DSL provider gives me a dial-in number that I can use when I am not at home to access the internet. My company also provides me with a dial-in number that I can use while I am travelling. I can dial that number from the IPAQ and hear the conventional modem initiation sounds.

So what appears to be "missing" is the modem. But I thought that the IPAQ could act as a modem for a laptop via a USB connection. Unless it is transmitting the audio over the USB (which is possible, I guess), it would mean that there is a modem in the IPAQ.

Finally, I thought I had heard about such a driver for other phones. I thought it was called a "blue-tooth dial-up-networking" (BT-DUN) driver. Though I'm not sure about this...

cdsdonham
11-30-2006, 10:27 PM
P.S. I agree that it would be slower than GPRS -- but that's ok for me. I'm not intending to use it except under duress.

(Thanks for your help)

Nurhisham Hussein
11-30-2006, 10:50 PM
But I don't need the support of the service provider.

Unfortunately, yes you do (this question has come up before), because you'll essentially be dialing through your mobile phone connection and using the cell network.

But I thought that the IPAQ could act as a modem for a laptop via a USB connection. Unless it is transmitting the audio over the USB (which is possible, I guess), it would mean that there is a modem in the IPAQ.

Yes, it does have one.

Finally, I thought I had heard about such a driver for other phones. I thought it was called a "blue-tooth dial-up-networking" (BT-DUN) driver. Though I'm not sure about this...

That's only for a bluetooth wireless connection between say your laptop and your phone. Again the same restrictions apply - since you're going through your mobile phone network, you still need to have a data account with your service provider.