View Full Version : Help! Problem with memory card

Rocky Sullivan
11-30-2006, 03:05 PM
I have a new HTC P3300 (Artemis) Pocket PC Phone and a 2GB Sandisk MicroSD.

I have had both for approx 3 weeks - the first two weeks I have had no problems at all but last weekend something unusual happened. All of the programs, GPS maps and music loaded on the memory card dissapeared. Using file explorer I could navigate to the storage card but all I could find were folders with unusual file names (special characters only - mainly small boxs - resemebling corrupt files).

The device still recognised that the storage card was almost full (about 300mb free) but none of the programs were available and my music dissapeared from the media library.

Eventually i opted to format the memory card and reload everything that was on the card (taking several hours). This worked and everthing went back to normal - until last night when it did almost the same thing again (all the programs dissapeared but the music folder is still working).

Has anyone experienced this - how do i fix it ? is it the phone or the memory card ?

Thanks

GSmith
11-30-2006, 04:10 PM
As far as most people seem to think, this problem is the memory card. I don't think anyone has narrowed down the problem or explained it very well except to say that a new memory card solves the problem for most people. This problem is much more prevalent on SD Cards than on CF Cards (though I have seen it on a couple of CF Cards).

The expert in this area is Menneisyys.

One potential solution is to format your storage card with FAT backups enabled. The best article on performance and formatting is here:
http://pocketpcmag.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17921

This article suggests that using FAT Backup with slower cards decreases performance further (and increases performance with high-performing cards). It also has a long list of formatting utilities describing and summarizing their features. The article does not mention, as far as I can tell, anything about reliability.

I don't have any information regarding formatting, FAT backups, and reliability.

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - Windows Mobile news, blogs, audio, video, podcasts downloaded direct to your Smartphone or Pocket PC
www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road

Menneisyys
11-30-2006, 04:35 PM
The expert in this area is Menneisyys.

First, try a simple chkdsk /f as is also mentioned in the tutorial and the linked Pocket PC Thoughts threads; for example, http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39583 .