View Full Version : Sort contacts by firstname

Oddish
11-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Is there any way that I can sort my contacts by firstname instead of surname? And also display them exactly as I wrote them; "firstname surname", without the comma? :?:

I'm using Windows Mobile 5

yvilla
11-27-2006, 03:22 PM
I've used Pocket Informant for so many years now that I don't recall exactly how the integrated Contacts application does this, but it should.

With PI, as with Outlook on the desktop as well, what you have to do is look for and change the "file as" field. It automatically fills itself in with the surname first format, with comma, whenever you add a contact. I guess most of the world uses that format so that's why its the default, but I don't, just like you. So all you have to do is write the name as you want it to display in that "file as" field, ie, "firstname surname" and you've solved it.

Nurhisham Hussein
11-27-2006, 05:35 PM
I guess most of the world uses that format so that's why its the default...

I'd disagree you with you on that, but your solution does work - I use that method myself. The other way to do it is cheaper (you don't need to purchase PI), but more labour intensive - change the 'file as' field for every contact in Outlook. It will have the same effect, just that you can only do it through your desktop, and not on your PDA. When you sync, all changed contacts will appear as you want it.

Oddish
11-27-2006, 06:08 PM
Thanks a lot! Well, since Pocket Informant is a little overkill for me, and I try to limit the amount of applications hogging RAM, I'll just have to do it the hard way and edit each contact in Outlook. :(