View Full Version : Iambic's Agendus Coming To Windows Mobile

Ed Hansberry
11-23-2006, 06:00 PM
<a href="http://support.iambic.com/forum/showthread.php?p=94474#post94474">http://support.iambic.com/forum/showthread.php?p=94474#post94474</a><br /><br />Agendus from Iambic is one of the "Super PIMs" for the PalmOS platform and has been immensely popular with its users. They have decided to move forward with a Windows Mobile version of their software. There is additional information in the forum, and screenshots are available if you are a registered user. :? <br /><br />If you want to participate in the beta, head over to the Iambic support forum, register and subscribe to the "Agendus for Windows Mobile" thread. Of course, in the world of Windows Mobile, Pocket Informant and Agenda Fusion rule the SuperPIM category. Do you think there is room for a third player?

Rod3
11-23-2006, 06:21 PM
I personally don't think we need another. I didn't use Agendus when I was a palm person. I used DateBk, which is IMO, a better PIM. I think Pocket Informant is excellent, and don't see any reason to try another. :)

CTSLICK
11-23-2006, 06:56 PM
I used Agendus and Datebk back in my Palm days, they were both good programs, I tended to flip flop between revisions. But they have some very serious competition from Agenda Fusion and Pocket Informant. Pocket Informant is the most thoroughly thought out feature rich app I have ever used. Its going to be very tough for them to hit that high mark.

petvas
11-23-2006, 07:17 PM
I dont think they stand a chance. I believe they want to cash in on the success they have on palm os...

whydidnt
11-23-2006, 07:19 PM
I've used Agendus on Palm devices off and on in the past. I think it can compete with PI and AF. There are probably more people than ever migrating from Palm to WM today. I would imagine many use Agendus and would love to keep using the same PIM when they move to WM. From Iambic's standpoint they have to know that POS as we know is all but dead, and to keep making money they will have to support other platforms.

whydidnt
11-23-2006, 07:24 PM
One more thought, Agendus may have to rethink their upgrade policy, if you want to call it that, to compete with PI. WebIS does a very good job of only charging for significant upgrades to PI, and keeping those on a reasonable schedule. When I used Agendus it seemed nearly every incremental change was a new "version" that required me to repurchase the software once every three months. If they continue that policy in the WM world they will definitely have a hard time competing.

WyattEarp
11-23-2006, 07:48 PM
There is always room for another. Whether they can actually compete with PI and AF is another story but I don't think they are going after that segment of the market. Iambic is going after the PalmOS users who switch to the WM OS. They are looking to stay in business by keeping their current customer base and that is good. They are paying attention to the market finally.
When I made the switch from Palm to PPC none of the software I used was available for the PPC. This made it a much harder and slower transition. Now just about all the PalmOS software is available for the PPC platform which makes it easier for people now to move from one OS to another. This move is good for all involved and long as they don't do like many other software developers and dilute their first release. they need to come out strong from the gate with all the features of the Palm version to make it a success. Then they can work on competeing with the head of the class.

JamesM
11-23-2006, 09:09 PM
Let's not forget that Action Names (Agendus' previous name) started on the Newton platform and migrated to Palm at some point. This is a similar evolutionary move, although they will find much more competition this time.

Lex
11-23-2006, 09:45 PM
I bought AF then PI and used 'em a year each but I've simplified my life with Super Calendar (www.scarybearsoftware.com). I never needed all the features of the huge PIMs anyway. But that's just me.

petvas
11-23-2006, 10:28 PM
I bought AF then PI and used 'em a year each but I've simplified my life with Super Calendar (www.scarybearsoftware.com). I never needed all the features of the huge PIMs anyway. But that's just me.
then you should check out Agenda One!!!

adriano
11-24-2006, 06:45 AM
Hi,

couple of quickies here in reply to what above...

I dont think they stand a chance.

thank you for your confidence &amp; support ;)

Agendus may have to rethink their upgrade policy

Actually all the minor updates of our titles are free for owners of the same major version serie -- for example the current Agendus Palm, now at 11.05, already underwent 5 upgrades all free of charge. Quite a few of which contained also new features. Same applies to Agendus for Windows (now at 4.2, with a good 6 - 7 free minor upgrades since 4.0) and all the rest of our line of products.

Regards,

- Adriano

jaytee
11-24-2006, 08:17 AM
What I liked in the Agendus was the simple and quick insert of time logs or journaling. Wonder if it will be like that in the WM version?

Stephen Beesley
11-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Let's not forget that Action Names (Agendus' previous name) started on the Newton platform and migrated to Palm at some point. This is a similar evolutionary move, although they will find much more competition this time.

Ahhh - now there is a name from the past. I had forgotten all about that link!

Actually, I still have Action Names installed on my Newton, althought I cannot remember the last time I actually opened that program.

gavinfabl
11-24-2006, 10:05 AM
Hi,

couple of quickies here in reply to what above...

I dont think they stand a chance.

thank you for your confidence &amp; support ;)

Agendus may have to rethink their upgrade policy

Actually all the minor updates of our titles are free for owners of the same major version serie -- for example the current Agendus Palm, now at 11.05, already underwent 5 upgrades all free of charge. Quite a few of which contained also new features. Same applies to Agendus for Windows (now at 4.2, with a good 6 - 7 free minor upgrades since 4.0) and all the rest of our line of products.

Regards,

- Adriano

Adriano

I can't wait to beta test the new product. Agendus for Palm Os was the most important app ever. I recently had a palm handheld to test some new software (a month ago) and installed Agendus. It is so good and I really have missed it not being on Windows Mobile.

I really look forward to it. Good luck.

huangzhinong
11-24-2006, 06:30 PM
definitely there is chance here. I don't like either PI or AF. So far I am trying agenda one, like it, but also found some problems. If agendus can go the direction of lightweight, fast and easy operation, they will have their shares.

davea0511
11-25-2006, 04:06 PM
I've been requesting an organizer feature for years that has yet to appear (a recurring appointment that creates a task each time it recurrs), but the developers keep saying that function is available by creating a recurring task. I don't want that ... the whole concept of a completed task hanging around marked as "completed", instead of being deleted is stupid to me. If it's completed then get it out of my face.

So what I want is what I requested: a recurring appointment that creates a task each time it recurrs. If Agendus made that feature available then I'd bite.

Personally I'm also fed up with having to pay for organizer upgrades. That's another way Agendus would find a way into my pocket: free upgrades.

SHC
11-25-2006, 05:53 PM
I've been requesting an organizer feature for years that has yet to appear (a recurring appointment that creates a task each time it recurrs), but the developers keep saying that function is available by creating a recurring task. I don't want that ... the whole concept of a completed task hanging around marked as "completed", instead of being deleted is stupid to me. If it's completed then get it out of my face.

So what I want is what I requested: a recurring appointment that creates a task each time it recurrs. If Agendus made that feature available then I'd bite.

Personally I'm also fed up with having to pay for organizer upgrades. That's another way Agendus would find a way into my pocket: free upgrades.

Me Too!
I have appointments that recur weekly and need various tasks to go with that appointment, and that appointment only. To be able to have these tasks automatically be created with each recurring appointment would be great.

Marcel_Proust
12-03-2006, 09:57 PM
then you should check out Agenda One!!!
agenda one has to the worst. pretty, but a 7mb footprint!