View Full Version : Looking for a new PPC....

Don Tolson
11-18-2006, 12:58 AM
Hi guys... it's about time for a replacement for my Axim X50V, but I'm having difficulty navigating my way through all the units seemingly coming available.

I'm basically looking for a PDA only, but I won't say "no way" to a combined phone/pda, but here's what I'm looking for...

a) VGA preferably
b) WM5
c) Bluetooth and WIFI
d) GPS built in (preferably)
e) SD and CF, but I could live without the CF
f) mini-USB interface link (preferable)
<edit> g) 1.3 mp or better camera would be a bonus!

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Stephen Beesley
11-18-2006, 01:59 AM
Sounds pretty much exactly what I want to replace my Axim (now if the OS would only do "real" VGA...).

Unfortunately I do not Know of any one device that has all of those features (the universal is close -but look at the cost!). For that reason, amoung others, I am beginning to wonder if my next "pda" might actually be a UMPC.

GSmith
11-18-2006, 04:47 AM
You might consider the Fujitsu Siemens LOOX N560. It meets all of your "required" requirements (though no CF, not sure about mini-USB nor camera). Probably compare to the Asus A636 and/or A639, which still offer your required requirements.

http://vilpublic.fujitsu-siemens.com/vil/pc/vil/datenblaetter/handheld/ds_pocket_loox_n_series.pdf

Several devices I suspect could fit your major requirements (WM5, Bluetooth, WiFi, SD). The GPS will narrow your results as will the VGA. You probably won't get a CF slot at all and may not get the mini-USB. For VGA and GPS, check out the N560, for non-VGA GPS, the Asus A636 has enormous battery life (which may carry through to the A639, but check some reviews to make sure). These may not be available in North America, but a couple of United Kindom sellers sell in North America (I found the N560, but not the A63x). Expect to pay USD$500 to USD$600.

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - Windows Mobile news, blogs, audio, video, podcasts downloaded direct to your Smartphone or Pocket PC
www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road

Mark Kenepp
11-18-2006, 06:26 AM
I would second Greg's recommendation for the n560n not because I think it fills all your requirements, but because I like mine 8)

I purchased mine a few months back and have been very happy with it. My biggest problems with it is since it is a European device, it is harder to find accessories for it here in the US. Most of them need to be purchased through a European reseller, which adds to shipping time and costs.

It does not have a camera, which I prefer, and it does not have mini USB, I am not aware of any PPC which does. It does, reportedly, have USB hosting (or am I mistaken) but I have never utilized it.

I switched from the iPaq 2215 which was an SD/CF device and I thought I would miss the CF but since my new camera uses SD , I only really used the CF for a WiFi card.

Don Tolson
11-19-2006, 06:50 AM
hmmmmm,,, thanks guys... I remember now looking at the 560 a while back, but I thnk I rejected it as too hard to get. Think it's time for another look.

Mark Kenepp
11-20-2006, 05:49 PM
hmmmmm,,, thanks guys... I remember now looking at the 560 a while back, but I thnk I rejected it as too hard to get. Think it's time for another look.

I ordered mine through Clove (http://www.clove-tech.co.uk/viewProduct.aspx?product=A6D829AB-509F-4F4E-A839-F851F2A405DB&category=DB363A1F-0E23-405B-810E-E6684105CC49).

They have great customer service and are very helpful resolving any issues with shipping the product overseas.

I have ordered a number of products through Clove and as I recall, there were a few instances where things got held up in customs. No fault of Clove but rather the fault of the shipping service they use. Don't know if Canadian customs are any more efficient than they are here in the US but I can't see how they can be any less efficient.

Expansys also carries the n560 and though I have had nothing but good experience with them myself, I have heard others complain about their service.

BoxWave
11-22-2006, 01:45 AM
Mark do you know about how long it takes to order something from them? Also, excellent choice on your new PDA! Looks clean~

Chris-
BoxWave Accessories (http://www.boxwave.com)

Mark Kenepp
11-22-2006, 02:24 AM
Mark do you know about how long it takes to order something from them?

Well, I don't rightly know. Like I said, it got caught up in customs so it took a few weeks longer.

I paid for expedited shipping and looking back through my emails, it looks like it was picked up from Clove on August 2nd and was due to arrive on the 4th, according to DHL. A second email tells me that the item was in customs on August 4th and was basically there for the next two weeks.

I don't remember the exact shipping costs for the expedited delivery but it was around 30 pounds.

Since I placed that order, their order tracking system has greatly improved so when I ordered my GPS software from them it was easy to see if it got hung up in customs, and luckily it did not. I don't remember how long it took for that order but I know it arrived within a week, since I was leaving for Ireland a week after I ordered it and I definitely remember using it in Ireland 8)

I have ordered other items through them in the past (and a few others from Europe) many years ago (like 1998?). I recall having an additional customs fee (duty tax) that was charged to the shipping company which I was billed for later. On one occasion, I got a call from the shipping company saying that they would not deliver the package to me and that it was being held up in customs until this fee was paid. I don't remember how it was resolved but needless to say, I paid the fee one way or the other.

I did not receive an invoice this time for any duty fee (maybe it was included in the shipping charge?) so I am wondering if the shipping company just ate it since they were charging for 2 day delivery and it took more than two weeks.

BTW, did I mention that I just love Clove? They are very responsive to any enquiry I have ever made with them. Of course, since there is an 8 hour difference between me and them, I need to get in touch with them early in the morning if I want a same day response.

P.S. I just noticed that BoxWave has a miniSync Cable (http://www.boxwave.com/products/minisync/minisync-retractable-cable-fujitsu-pocket-loox-n560_1262.htm) for the n560! I was looking for one of those when I first got my n560 but gave up. Glad they are out now :D

BoxWave
11-22-2006, 02:51 AM
Mark. We sure do :D.