View Full Version : Smartphone to Pocket PC transition questions

holtwm
11-16-2006, 11:02 PM
I had been using a Cingular 2125 and I just got an 8125. The transition has been a little tough because the features below are missing:

1. Profiles feature (trying phoneAlarm which seems pretty good)
2. Auto answer after 10 seconds when Bluetooth headset connected
3. Assign button to lock device (like holding down the end call button on Smartphone)

Please let me know if you know of ways to get around these differences. Thanks.

Will

Brad Adrian
11-27-2006, 06:00 PM
PhoneAlarm is about the only application I know of that can provide fine-tuning of notifications and alarms, and I don't know of any way to set an auto-answer like you suggest.

When you want to "lock" your 8125, are you talking about a password-protected lock or simply a way to keep screen bumps from goofing stuff up? If the latter, all you need to do is quickly press the power button and the screen will turn off.

Hx4700
11-27-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm not an expert and my PPC phone is an HP, but I think I can give you some starting points for further research.
1. HP does have "Profiles" for saving different settings for rings, backlight. etc. It's a hooky way to get that menu- hold down Power for two seconds. Check your phone manual for "profiles".
2. From phone screen - Menu/ Options /More /Automatic Pickup- You have setting here for headset pickup after x rings.
3. Start Menu/ Settings /Personnel/ Buttons/ Lock - disable buttons and/or use Keyguard.
3. Also- Start Menu/ Settings/ Personnel /Lock - set Password protection.
Ron...

holtwm
12-01-2006, 09:04 PM
Here are the solutions I came up with:

1. Profiles feature - Bought PocketZenPhone
2. Auto answer - Not possible so just have to manually push the button on my headset (no biggie)
3. Assign button to lock device - Have assigned button (or can sometimes just hold End Call button) to go to Today screen and then set device to locked

One other question: is there a way to have email notifications based on the sender i.e. special notification only if it's my boss?

arikinthecity
12-22-2006, 06:25 PM
I just switched from a Cingular 2125 WM5 Smartphone to an HP hw6945 PPC . The difference for making phone calls is a nightmare. With the smartphone you click on the number pad and you get to the dialer with a history of calls and when you type in a number it shows you when you called it. With the PPC you have to switch to the phone app, open up the keypad, dial in the number or select the Call History.

Is there any hack or addon to make the PPC act like the Smartphone dialer/phone ?

Any suggestions?

Hx4700
01-17-2007, 01:48 AM
arkin,
I also have the Hw6945. I have it set up so that when I hit the left phone button (even when the pda is off) the keypad comes up. If I need the History list there is a button on the Keypad screen to do that.
I also bought Voice Command. With this you can say a name or a phone number to dial. I was surprised that I had to buy an addon to dial by voice name as every phone I've had for a long time could do this. On the plus side VC can do a lot more - control the ringer, say next appointment, time, date, etc. It also has a lot of commands to control Media Player.
Ron...

jpf
01-19-2007, 01:23 AM
y'know... I just switched from a nokia 9300 to a cingular 8525 and I was wondering the same thing myself. Admittedly, I had a profile manager for the 9300 but I was expecting a more comprehensive set of phone features built into in the 8525. It really does seem like phone integration is somewhere between mediocre and marginal. The 9300 wasn't a leader in this field either, but it was 'better'.
I've been looking at phonealarm so I'll also give pocketzenphone a look too. I need something that proclaims that something has happened (call, message, etc) with a bit more flash than that cold, blank, dead 8525 screen does sitting on the desk. I'm missing the readable when unlit mini display!
So thanks for asking/answering these very questions. Now all I need to do is figure out a way to improve how awfully 'flat' calls sound on the 8525.