View Full Version : TCPMP as default for Orb?

rookcnu
11-15-2006, 11:47 PM
I have been working with the wonderful world of Orb for sometime now. However, I have just started using it with my Cingular 8125. My problem is that everytime I open up media through my web browser logged in to Orb, it plays the media through Windows Media Player Mobile. I would rather that it play through TCPMP instead.

How do I make it default to TCPMP?

Thanks!

Darius Wey
11-16-2006, 03:11 AM
You have to resort to a registry hack, so be aware of the risks involved.

Grab a registry editor (Resco Explorer 2005 or PHM Registry Editor are good picks) and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:WMPLAYER. Next, modify value 1 from wmplayer.exe to "\Program Files\TCPMP\player.exe" (note the quotes). Restart your Pocket PC, and see if that works. Note that this may affect media handling for other applications as well, but it shouldn't be a huge issue.

rookcnu
11-16-2006, 12:50 PM
does it matter that TCPMP is installed on my mini-sd and not my main memory? will the registry edit be any different because of this?

thanks!

Darius Wey
11-16-2006, 02:17 PM
No, it won't matter that it's on your memory card. However, the registry edit will be different. Instead of "Program Files\TCPMP\player.exe", replace it with the path relevant to your installation. Remember to include the quotes.

rookcnu
11-22-2006, 05:00 PM
Okay - I have everything working. I can listen to music, watch video and live tv on my Cingular 8125. The only issue I have at this point is that the video is, at times, choppy and the sound does not always match the video. In other words, the video is delayed by about 1 second behind the music.

Can I fix this? If so, how?

Thanks!

Darius Wey
11-22-2006, 06:40 PM
That could be due to either your data connection (insufficient bandwidth) or your 8125 simply having a slow processor that's not up for the task of on-demand streaming.

You can't really solve the latter, other than to ensure that no other application or plug-in is running. The more resources you have available, the better. As for the former, if you can jump on a faster wireless connection, then that will improve the quality of video and the rate at which it is delivered to your device.

isajoo
11-23-2006, 07:02 AM
u could play around with the settings, i use to have the same problem even with highspeed internet or even over wifi home network. dont really remember what settings i changed but i keep tweaking the buffer settin, its 5120 now. also try tweaking the a/v offset although mines is at 0,0 and 3000. i dont have that problem anymore.

rookcnu
01-05-2007, 02:23 AM
Okay - referring to my original question in this post about Orb defaulting to TCPMP instead of WMP mobile,......

Had to do a hard reset the other day (that's another story) and after re-installing everything, Orb now defaults to TCPMP.

The only thing I did different this time is after installing TCPMP to my mini sd, I pasted a shortcut of it to <My device>, <Windows>, <Start Menu>.

Last time, I put it in the same place, but pasted it straight up, not as a shortcut.

Can anyone explain?

Cybrid
01-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Okay - referring to my original question in this post about Orb defaulting to TCPMP instead of WMP mobile,......

Had to do a hard reset the other day (that's another story) and after re-installing everything, Orb now defaults to TCPMP.

The only thing I did different this time is after installing TCPMP to my mini sd, I pasted a shortcut of it to <My device>, <Windows>, <Start Menu>.

Last time, I put it in the same place, but pasted it straight up, not as a shortcut.

Can anyone explain?It's the file type association.
Normally .wma, wmv etc are tagged as Win Media files and so open with that...When you re-installed TCPMP, You passed a page that said "Do you want to make TCPMP the default player for these ....?"
So now whenever your PPC looks to play those it looks in the registry and then activates TCPMP.