View Full Version : HTC To Build UMPCs?

Nurhisham Hussein
11-15-2006, 10:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003352102_htc06.html' target='_blank'>http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ht...2102_htc06.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"The company which relies on producing Windows Mobile based smartphones for the productivity market is facing increasing pressure from an influx of well funded companies like Gigabyte and Asustek, which are producing increasingly competitive devices. Now that Chou's vision of putting wireless into palm-sized devices has become commonplace, HTC has its sights set on the next big thing — filling in the market between phones and laptops."</i><br /><br />Wow, that's a heck of a direction for HTC to go into. With the UMPC market starting to heat up with a lot of new devices, HTC may be taking on more than it's bargained for - the UMPC space is as competitive, if not more so, than Windows Mobile. On the other hand, if they can bring their acknowledged R&amp;D prowess to come up with viable devices with the kind of communications channels that are present in today's WM phones AND make them affordable (*cough* DualCor *cough*), we're all the better for it. This is a development I'm going to be watching with a lot of interest.

alese
11-15-2006, 10:32 AM
That would be just awsome.
For instance an UMPC Universal...

Silver5
11-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Well, if you start with the Universal and add 20-30GB of solid state memory, a full Windows OS, and a reasonable 512mb-1gig RAM and a fast enough processor to work with but slow enough to save battery life then they can have a real winner. All they would need to do is keep its phone/data capability (GSM/GPRS/Edge/Wifi/UMTS) and a small external caller id screen. That would be one heck of a laptop replacement.

It would be worth the size to be able to have all of that in a pocketable (barely) package. It is definitely possible though it would surely be expensive.

jimfee
11-15-2006, 03:13 PM
There is a size, form factor and functionality cobination out there that everyone is flirting with and they don't want to jump in the water unless they can get their price point for it.

HP is floating that personal media device and the only thing new or different about it is screen size. UMPC's based on XP seem to expect big bucks, and on the other end my very capable 8125 has limitations due to size.

Give me a connected capable device (WM or XP/Vista based I don't care), with a usable touch screen interface (4x6 minimum) under $1000 bucks and they have a sale.

I really don't care about looking like a geek with a Tablet device (I have endured ridicule using my 8125 in different situations but the functionality it provides is worth it)

So to HTC I say DO IT!!!

Tierran
11-15-2006, 06:35 PM
My HTC Wizard is possibly the best PDA I've owned. While it has some minor performance issues, its just a straight up solid machine. And every HTC device I see shares those properties. I'd love to see an HTC UMPC

saru83
11-18-2006, 05:27 AM
Bring it on HTC.. although i do not think they will ad any voice capabilities like GSM but most likely they will add Data "hopefully 3G" &amp; thats what i would like to see.. 8)