View Full Version : What is the best PocketPC alternative to the LifeDrive?

nevarDeath
11-14-2006, 07:33 AM
I Love palm, always have since my Vx, but now I don't like the way things are looking for their PDAs. My LifeDrive can't do DUN through my CDMA RAZR because palm fudged the bluetooth stack. This is unacceptable. So now I'm having "Pocket PC thoughts" :D What would be the best Pocket PC if I want:

Wi-Fi
Bluetooth
LOTS of RAM (I love my 4GB HD in the LifeDrive, but would rather have flash mem)
320x480 screen or better
touchscreen

There are so many PPCs out there I am having a hard time finding them all plus figuring out which would be best

Cybrid
11-14-2006, 09:13 AM
I Love palm, always have since my Vx, but now I don't like the way things are looking for their PDAs. My LifeDrive can't do DUN through my CDMA RAZR because palm fudged the bluetooth stack. This is unacceptable. So now I'm having "Pocket PC thoughts" :D What would be the best Pocket PC if I want:

Wi-Fi
Bluetooth
LOTS of RAM (I love my 4GB HD in the LifeDrive, but would rather have flash mem)
320x480 screen or better
touchscreen

There are so many PPCs out there I am having a hard time finding them all plus figuring out which would be bestA VGA device with BT, WiFi, and NVFS? Dell X51v...only 256Mb(190 usable).

SteveHoward999
11-14-2006, 02:52 PM
A VGA device with BT, WiFi, and NVFS? Dell X51v...only 256Mb(190 usable).

Don't forget you can easily bump up the storage space with memory cards. You can get three 2Gb cards for $100 ... :-)

TimothyP
11-14-2006, 03:20 PM
I dropped my Lifedrive for Loox N560. It has Bluetooth and wifi, it also has a VGA screen. I just purchased a 4gb card and couldnt be happier. Although the only problem i'm having is how to connect via bluetooth with my razr as well. They recognize each other and connect, but i cant get anything else after that. When i try to connect, im prompted to put in a dial-out number, then it asks for a username and password, and im not sure what those are. But over all, i love my N560. I still have my lifedrive, but i mainly use it as a storage holder for movie, pics, etc.

nevarDeath
11-14-2006, 04:25 PM

I heard that the power button doesn't work reliably on this device, is that true?

Although the only problem i'm having is how to connect via bluetooth with my razr as well. They recognize each other and connect, but i cant get anything else after that. When i try to connect, im prompted to put in a dial-out number, then it asks for a username and password, and im not sure what those are. But over all, i love my N560. I still have my lifedrive, but i mainly use it as a storage holder for movie, pics, etc.

If you have verizon or US Cellular I can tell you how to get your username and password, it's on your phone.

JesterMania
11-14-2006, 04:46 PM
I heard that the power button doesn't work reliably on this device, is that true?

Where'd you here that from? The x51v is one of the most popular standalone PPCs available. My friend has one and has never ran into issues before. Dell should be able to give you a warranty on that as well.

nevarDeath
11-14-2006, 04:54 PM
Where'd you here that from? The x51v is one of the most popular standalone PPCs available. My friend has one and has never ran into issues before. Dell should be able to give you a warranty on that as well.

Actually someone said it in a Palm forum :D :oops: people don't usually outright lie about that sort of stuff....or so I thought

TimothyP
11-14-2006, 05:56 PM
If you have verizon or US Cellular I can tell you how to get your username and password, it's on your phone.

I have verizon. The Motorola Razr. Yes, please help.

nevarDeath
11-14-2006, 08:19 PM

username is: [email protected] (Put in your phone number)
Password: vzw
Dial: #777

That will do it! for US Cellualr it's

[email protected] (Put in your phone number)
Password: phonenumber

If it says invalid username/password, then on your phone, go to Settings > Security > Data Connection then enter your security code (default is 000000) then select 1xRTT data and use the number listed in the username there, the password is that same number

Cybrid
11-14-2006, 08:53 PM

I heard that the power button doesn't work reliably on this device, is that true?No, the device is rock solid in nearly all respects.
The cons:

It's windows, which is substantially different from Palm, enough to cause a high learning curve. Google AKAJohnDoe a former Palm user now using Dell for tips and gotchas...
The device has rubber feet that'll fall off in 6-8 months. Not that such a minor cosmetic defect is a problem but annoying nonetheless. :oops:
Dell's have a serious issue where the BIS (NVFS) is incorrectly addressed and causes files to "stick" wherein they are undelete-able by normal means but that too is rare. I'm one of only a handful of users that has seen this. I have however seen it on a X5 and a X50v so...caveat emptor.
Dell has decent customer service, the issue most face is long wait times and outsourced labour that make for glorious cultural misunderstandings. Buy the extended warranty for the period of time you would expect to keep this device. see above point.
MS BT stack! While capable for simple things...not a pleasant or truely functional app.

pros:

It's not a Palm so true multi-tasking is available making the device use much more efficient.
It has dual slots, SD and CF, meaning larger compatibility to hardware, memory and accessories.
The 16Mb intel GPU will blow you away for things like movies and games. The difference is astonishing.
Overall "Bad-ass" device.

TimothyP
11-14-2006, 09:05 PM

username is: [email protected] (Put in your phone number)
Password: vzw

That will do it! for US Cellualr it's

[email protected] (Put in your phone number)
Password: phonenumber

If it says invalid username/password, then on your phone, go to Settings > Security > Data Connection then enter your security code (default is 000000) then select 1xRTT data and use the number listed in the username there, the password is that same number

Not working for me. On the Razr, there is no option to change to 1xRTT. Its always on Evdo. But sometimes it will change to 1x by itself. On the device i entered my username ([email protected]) and password (vzw), i get a few messages, the latest one is "no modem at the above number". and sometimes i get invalid username/password.

nevarDeath
11-14-2006, 09:06 PM
No, the device is rock solid in nearly all respects.
The cons:

It's windows, which is substantially different from Palm, enough to cause a high learning curve. Google AKAJohnDoe a former Palm user now using Dell for tips and gotchas...
The device has rubber feet that'll fall off in 6-8 months. Not that such a minor cosmetic defect is a problem but annoying nonetheless. :oops:
Dell's have a serious issue where the BIS (NVFS) is incorrectly addressed and causes files to "stick" wherein they are undelete-able by normal means but that too is rare. I'm one of only a handful of users that has seen this. I have however seen it on a X5 and a X50v so...caveat emptor.
Dell has decent customer service, the issue most face is long wait times and outsourced labour that make for glorious cultural misunderstandings. Buy the extended warranty for the period of time you would expect to keep this device. see above point.
MS BT stack! While capable for simple things...not a pleasant or truely functional app.

pros:

It's not a Palm so true multi-tasking is available making the device use much more efficient.
It has dual slots, SD and CF, meaning larger compatibility to hardware, memory and accessories.
The 16Mb intel GPU will blow you away for things like movies and games. The difference is astonishing.
Overall "Bad-ass" device.

I can handle the learning curve, I'm always happy to try new things.

The LifeDrive's rubber feet only took 2 months to fall off

I don't mess with cutomer service. I can usually google and find my answers. If not, that's what these forums are for, right?

The bluetooth stack is the straw that's broken the camels back on my LifeDrive....There's no workaround on the Palm, is there on PPC?

thanks BTW for this helpful info

nevarDeath
11-14-2006, 09:19 PM
Not working for me. On the Razr, there is no option to change to 1xRTT. Its always on Evdo. But sometimes it will change to 1x by itself. On the device i entered my username ([email protected]) and password (vzw), i get a few messages, the latest one is "no modem at the above number". and sometimes i get invalid username/password.

Ok first try just @vzw.com if that doesn't work then it's very complicated. I have read (although I can't seem to find it now) that you have to disable EVDO to force it into permanent 1xRTT (or pay extra for EVDO service, which then they will tell you how to do it), to do this you need a data cable and some homebrew software. (you only need the cable and software to modify the phone firmware, once that's done you don't need it to connect) It's kind of invloved. check out http://www.modmymoto.com or http://www.motomodders.net they can help better than I. I don't actually use verizon, I just got my knowledge along the way trying to figure it for US Cellular.

To add on top of all this, verizon doesn't like you 'tethering' like this (if you're not paying for EVDO) and will terminate your service if they figure out you're doing it. You would have to get like 500MBs of usage before they would notice you though.

Cybrid
11-14-2006, 09:23 PM
The bluetooth stack is the straw that's broken the camels back on my LifeDrive....There's no workaround on the Palm, is there on PPC?

thanks BTW for this helpful info DUN works fine, Headset is good but complicated things like PAN are sorely lacking. Most users wouldn't face the serious problems. There is however the Widcomm project. The X50v used a 3rd party broadcomm/ Widcomm stack that was substantially better and there are a few enterprising geniuses that have managed to port it to the X51v. This is working and much better. Not perfect though...
http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=114983

http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=122247

nevarDeath
11-14-2006, 09:39 PM
DUN works fine, Headset is good but complicated things like PAN are sorely lacking. Most users wouldn't face the serious problems. There is however the Widcomm project. The X50v used a 3rd party broadcomm/ Widcomm stack that was substantially better and there are a few enterprising geniuses that have managed to port it to the X51v. This is working and much better. Not perfect though...
http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=114983

http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=122247

I've heard the Widcomm stack is the best for phones. That's what I have on my desktop. DUN is the main thing I was worried about. If I can have that and transfer pictures and ringtones to/from my phone I don't care what else won't work.

Cybrid
11-14-2006, 10:17 PM
I've heard the Widcomm stack is the best for phones. That's what I have on my desktop. DUN is the main thing I was worried about. If I can have that and transfer pictures and ringtones to/from my phone I don't care what else won't work. Dun, no problem. Transfer files...prolly not.
According to the BT assembler, the X50v (http://www.bluetooth.com/Bluetooth/Assembler.htm?assemble=True&path=Device&categoryId=17&manufacture=Motorola%2c+Inc.&model=1682&need=9&pindex1=3) has Widcomm's file transfer profile but the X51v (http://www.bluetooth.com/Bluetooth/Assembler.htm?assemble=True&path=Device&categoryId=17&manufacture=Motorola%2c+Inc.&model=1682&need=9&pindex1=4) doesn't. Maybe possible with Widcomm project hacking but I can't positively say yes. Also there is the problem of Verizon/ Cingular disabling crippling their phone's BT stacks. It would be quite a challenge.

nevarDeath
11-16-2006, 03:31 AM

Hey look what I found:
Getting DUN to work... While not "disabled" out of the box, due to Verizon's TOS forbidding the use of Tethering using an EVDO phone (i.e. using the phone as a modem for their High Speed or Broadband data networks for internet access), there are a few tricks to make this work... You must disable the phone's EVDO capability so it falls back to 1xRTT mode (note: this requires a Service Mode tweak, is risky, and will disable the ability to use VCAST. In addition, it is still not known if Verizon will bill you for this service, or just charge minutes of use.) Info for instructions will be taken from DUN on Verizon V3c (http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=794008) and Razr Dun (http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=790560) thanks to Kalex's posts for summarizing it... Also see -> How can I disable EVDO on V3C? (http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=808388)

this is copied from:
http://mark.cdmaforums.com/V3C-1.htm