View Full Version : Advice on a new Pocket PC.

Croc_52
11-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Hi. It's a sad day. My trusty iPAQ 2210 died this morning. I instinctively believe any money for repair would be better spent on a newer model. I've been reading comparisons between the HP iPAQ 2490/2790 and the Dell Axim X51v. I am inclined to think the 2490 is the best bang for the buck, anyone have any advice and/or experience to offer? Any other manufacturers / models I should be considering? All feedback is most welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,

Kent.

JesterMania
11-12-2006, 12:39 AM
Are you only considering non-phone edition Pocket PCs? If so, I think the Dell Axim x51v provides the best bang for your money. It's got everything including dual memory card slots (just like the ipaq hx2790) and a VGA screen/VGA-out + video accelerator. You can also try the Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket LOOX series - they are similar to the Axim but with USB hosting but they're usually hard to get and much more expensive than a regular Axim (unless you are from Europe maybe).

Joelacrane
11-13-2006, 10:48 PM
I'm on my x51v right now. I love this thing! It has been a joy to own and use. The screen is beautiful. The only thing I don't like about it is the wifi seems a little buggy.

Don't be afriad to get one!

Croc_52
11-21-2006, 07:37 AM
In the end VGA made my decision and boy am I happy with my Axim.

Visually stunning in all respects. I like that I can work with smaller fonts in text apps and it's actually easier on my eyes than larger fonts with QVGA.

The unit is rock-solid and stable. Wireless is wonderfully easy to set up and is perfectly stable, at least on my home network.

I was very lucky and found a used on for sale that was in mint condition, I got it for about 60% of the current list price.

A wonderful machine that I would recommend to anyone.

Joelacrane
11-21-2006, 08:46 AM
Aren't they the bomb?! I absolutely love mine.

See? I told you that you would like it.

Croc_52
11-21-2006, 01:53 PM
What can I say, Joe. Whe you're right, you're right. Thanks for the advice.

Just researching the best sites for apps to take advantage of the unit. Having lots of fun.

Cheers.

Joelacrane
11-21-2006, 06:40 PM
Skype, vBar (Task switcher), Virtual Earth Mobile, PocketNester .7, Worms World Party (I have a trick to make it run), and Pocket Player all work. Skype works beautifully. Before you do ANYTHING, be sure to go the A12 ROM update. Also, you should check into replacing the Microsoft Bluetooth stack with the far superior Broadcom stack.

A great Axim resource is www.aximsite.com. The forum isn't as busy as this one, but there are alot of people there that know how to fix nearly every little problem that could come up on an Axim.

Let me know if you need links. Have fun!