View Full Version : HELP with iPaq 6945 tips and tricks

marbar314
10-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Just got the 6945 and need to learn how to use it... anyone know where i can get information (either book or web)? Only had blackberry before this. So far, i'm enjoying it but i know i can do more and the owner's manual does not provide enough information. :?

JesterMania
10-31-2006, 12:18 AM
In other words, you want to do more with your ipaq than the basic functionality stated in the manual/included with your device? If you state what sorts of things you'd like your ipaq to do, maybe we can help with software suggestions.

marbar314
10-31-2006, 12:41 AM
For starters, I am having trouble adding my personal email (pop-server) account to the devise. And would like to learn how to manage, save, use outlook documents, and spreadsheets with the Word, Excel, PowerPoint software. :?:

JesterMania
10-31-2006, 07:49 PM
So your trouble is that you haven't been able to figure out how to use the default applications that came with your device? If you go the book route I'm sure you can find 1-2 of them at amazon.com, but I haven't known many who bought a Windows Mobile book. As such, I can't recommend any myself or tell you how effective they are. There's a book called "How to Do Everything with Windows Mobile" but beware when buying books - make sure they are made for Windows Mobile 5 and not for older versions (such as WM2003SE). :devilboy:

For myself, I took about 30 minutes and thoroughly configured my device and learned all the basic programs without any prior experience - I think you just need to spend an hour or so playing with your device and trying things out and you'll be comfortable with your ipaq before you know it.

Regarding your specific questions...

For Windows Mobile 5, there is Pocket Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. PowerPoint can only open documents and not create/save them:!: With Pocket Word/Excel, the document is automatically saved everytime you hit the "OK" button to the upper-right corner of your screen. Just experiment with stuff like this - open Pocket Word, type some text, and click on the "Menu" button. You see no save feature, so click the "OK" box and see what it does. By default, the both Word and Excel documents are saved into the "My Documents" folder of your device.

Regarding adding a POP3 e-mail account, what you do is launch Messaging (Start->Messaging), and click Menu->Tools->New Account. After, follow the on-screen wizard to fill in your e-mail and other account information.

I hope that helped a little.