View Full Version : MrPostman

JesterMania
10-27-2006, 11:18 PM
In an effort to get e-mail programs such as QMAIL and FlexMail to read web-based e-mail services (in my case, Hotmail), I've decided to run MrPostman on my PPC. For those who don't know, MrPostman ( http://mrpostman.sourceforge.net/ )is a small Java program that allows standard POP3 clients to read web-based mail accounts.

Anyways, I've got it to run fine with Mysaifu JVM, but I've found that I can't edit what's inside the textboxes. This doesn't help as I can't specify the directory where I stored my scripts, and even if I could I wouldn't be able to edit MrPostman's settings.

Has anyone got MrPostman to work on their PPC?

isajoo
10-28-2006, 05:52 AM
is this a ppc app...looks like a pc app. i sort of gave up, found it simple to just copy html link into pie to view email like those. little annoying but works. if anyone got this to work, let us know if its good.

isajoo
10-28-2006, 05:53 AM
is this a ppc app...looks like a pc app. i sort of gave up, found it simple to just copy html link into pie to view email like those. little annoying but works. if anyone got this to work, let us know if its good.

JesterMania
10-28-2006, 03:07 PM
This is a Java application. It was originally designed to be run on desktops but as it's Java, you are supposedly able to run this on any OS/computer/device as long as it supports the Java runtime environment. A good example of this is Azureus, the Java bittorrent client which runs on virtually any platform that supports Java.

MrPostman is also a Java application and since we have Java runtime environments available on our PPCs (Mysaifu, Creme, NetFront) we should be able to run this as well. At the moment, I only have access to Mysaifu (http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~dat/java/project/jvm/index_en.html) (as it's free) and I suspect it's emulation is less than perfect. As I could actually get MrPostman to launch and use its GUI on my PPC the first step is complete. It most certainly runs on the PPC (with Mysaifu at least), but there comes the problem of not being able to enter text inside the textboxes. Therefore, I cannot change things such as my account name, password, etc. :cry:

Hopefully someone else has gotten MrPostman to run around here... 0X

pheral
10-28-2006, 03:56 PM
i'd also be really interested to hear, i've wanted to use Flexmail for ages, but its inability to use hotmail cancels me out (2 hotmail accounts it all i use).

JesterMania
10-28-2006, 07:48 PM
I just tried running MrPostman on the latest version of CrEme 4.10 and it's a no-go. It's even worse - I cannot even load the .jar file MrPostman-20060106.jar (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mrpostman/MrPostman-20060106.jar?download). I've contacted Mysaifu's author and hope to get a response from him pertaining to the inability to edit strings inside textboxes.

I forgot to mention in the previous posts, the file I am trying to run in question is:

MrPostman-20060106.jar (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mrpostman/MrPostman-20060106.jar?download)

:mrgreen:

JesterMania
10-28-2006, 10:52 PM
Okay, it's possible to run MrPostman with Mysaifu JVM if you don't want to modify any of its settings. For Hotmail, that should be enough at least as there really aren't any options to modify on the MrPostman end...

When running Mysaifu, ensure that the "Current Directory" is pointing to the directory where you stored all MrPostman scripts (such as hotmail.script, etc.). This way, MrPostman autodetects all of your scripts without you having to change the directory path (which can't be done at the moment with Mysaifu). Also, you must set Max Heap Size to over 2MB or the GUI can't load. I personally set it to 5MB and it loads fine (lower values could work, maybe).

Default settings for the mail client are:

POP3 Address: 127.0.0.1: 11110
SMTP Address: 127.0.0.1: 25250

I've tested it on FlexMail 2007 and it seems to connect to MrPostman just fine. However, Here's the problem for us Hotmail users: There is currently no script for MrPostman that allows it to access the new Windows Live Mail. The current Hotmail script is outdated and won't work. I've checked on the MrPostman forums and it seems people are taking stabs at it - hopefully a new WLM script will surface in the near future.