View Full Version : HELP REQUEST: Anyone into thin clients / Webization of local apps? Please read

Menneisyys
10-24-2006, 10:19 AM
This time I’m asking for help :)

As you probably know, in real life, I’m an IT consultant giving advice to companies on networking architectural, databasing, TCP/IP, programming and last but not least mobile computing questions.

My new task is giving advice (writing a complete booklet on) on in which direction a given company should go: Microsoft Terminal Servers (with, possibly, Citrix Metaframe) or just “webizing” their in-house, custom-written current applications (whenever possible) - that is, converting it to be Web/ client-side (Ajax / JavaScript / ActiveX) and server-side (Java / ASP etc.).

For this, I’m looking for case studies. For the two distinct cases, I’ve found several case studies (that is, I don’t really need case studies that only discuss why a given company abandoned fat clients and went for, say, Citrix); I’d still need case studies that directly compare the two alternates and explain why a given company decided for one or the other and what influenced their decisions.

That is, if you know of, for example, magazine articles or anything of interest in this very subject (that is, preferably unbiased comparison of the full MS Terminal Server / Citrix solution to converting local apps to run off the Web and using “thin” Web browsers to access them in the company), I’d be highly grateful if you could share it with me – hope I haven’t run into it so far. Just a URL would be sufficient.