View Full Version : is wifi on ppc like regular pc?

tony6264
10-23-2006, 02:03 AM
I am going to be going wireless on my Ipaq soon, what can I expect?
will it be in real time like pc, or do they kind of download certain items for view later? I guess what I mean is..are you able to surf the net and do email as easily as on pc?

dh
10-23-2006, 03:40 AM
Hey Tony, I use WiFi to connect my iPaq to my home network just like my regular PCs.

I also use it to transfer files to and from my handheld, much faster than ActiveSync. If you use Resco Explorer (maybe some other apps as well) it lets you map network drives, just like on your desktop.

tony6264
10-23-2006, 04:05 AM
Hey, thanks for the response...I dont intend on truely networking my ppc with home pc, just using the wireless access...although if it all works out ok i might take another crack at the whole network thing again...I tried networking on my lynksys wired system a while back and it was a GIANT headache...have a netgear wireless now, maybe it would be easier to configure.

salem
10-24-2006, 06:52 PM
Hey, thanks for the response...I dont intend on truely networking my ppc with home pc, just using the wireless access...although if it all works out ok i might take another crack at the whole network thing again...I tried networking on my lynksys wired system a while back and it was a GIANT headache...have a netgear wireless now, maybe it would be easier to configure.

but........... don't expect that PPC can be comparable to your desktop in all apps. Wifi application can be so hungry, and system crash is a big problem, and lagging is then a bonus.

I've just tried to use Wifi to watch movies and broadband TV news signal with Atom Exec, one of the fastest devices on the market now, sometimes there's a serious lagging. When i did the same in Dopod 828, a top model a year ago, the pocket pc crashed too. For normal apps like file transfer or email, it's smooth, however.

tony6264
10-24-2006, 10:17 PM
Ok so I have the cf card installed and it is recieving signal...how do i get it to go anywhere on the internet? I am using pocket internet explorer,but I cant figure out how to go about getting anywhere...is there a different format to the web pages...instead of http://yahoo.com....? is there a different web browser that is easier or better to use?