View Full Version : Please help with Exchange Connection Issue

Birdman
10-17-2006, 02:16 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am almost at wit's end. I am able to connect to my Exchange Server and sync contacts, email, etc when my WM5 PPC is connected to my computer through the USB cradle. I have all my settings (Exchange server name, domain, PW etc) and I have it selected NOT to require SSL. (When I select SSL, it does not sync with the Exchange server). No problem. All is good. (Except for a problem with syncing Tasks, but that is something else.)

I now want to be able to have push enabled and sync "over the air". The problem is, when I try to even initiate a manual sync over my Rogers GPRS connection, I keep getting an error message that it is unable to connect to the Exchange server. I have tried with SSL and without SSL. Each time, it does not work.

Is the problem that I need to install a "certificate" on my PPC? If so, why does it connect to the Exchange server when connected through the cradle. Please help. I have spent hours reading through different forums with no answer, only lots of questions. Should I get a certificate from my IS department?

It seems to be trying to connect and initiate a sync. when I make a change in Outlook, but my AS screen on the handheld just sits at Waiting for Network and the GPRS

Paul Mah
10-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Hi there,

I believe I can help you here. However, I first need additional information from you.

1) When you say you are able to sync with your Windows Mobile connected via USB, I am assuming you are actually synching to Exchange and not via your Outlook desktop client? i.e. Under Microsoft ActiveSync (desktop) application -> Tools -> Options, you see "Microsoft Exchange" and not "Windows PC". I need to make sure on this first.

2) Is your desktop at home or is it your company desktop? If it is your company desktop, have you ever tried doing the same (PDA sync with Exchange via USB) from your home PC?

3) Where is your exchange server based? Is it your company's exchange server?

Basically what I suspect is that your company's firewall is blocking your attempts to get direct push working. It isn't a problem with your company PC because its on the same (internal) network as your Exchange Server.

Also, you might also like to check out my Direct Push Guide at my presonal blog here (http://littlesandpit.blogspot.com/2006/10/direct-push-guide.html) for more information (Work in progress).

Regards,
Paul Mah.