View Full Version : hx2490b Flash Card Questions

thedivision
10-11-2006, 02:00 AM
Hello,

I recently purchased an iPaq hx2490b and am now looking to upgrade with a flash card.

- the hx2400s have problems with the SD slot - they seemed to have fixed it with a firmware upgrade... is it safe?

- do I go with SD or CF?

- what size works for my model?

BTW, this is my first post from my PDA. :)

Thanks

Nurhisham Hussein
10-11-2006, 03:15 AM
- the hx2400s have problems with the SD slot - they seemed to have fixed it with a firmware upgrade... is it safe?

No idea, sorry.

- do I go with SD or CF?

For future use, probably SD, though even that's not guaranteed with the number of smaller formats popping up. For sheer cost/size ratio - CF all the way.

- what size works for my model?

Up to 2GB for the SD, 4GB is hit or miss. Plus, be careful if the SD is an SDHC card - those won't work on your iPaq. For CF - anything goes :) 16GB versions are available (for silly money), and 8GB can be at relatively sane prices.

JesterMania
10-11-2006, 04:17 AM
What sort of SD Card problems are you talking about regarding the hx2490? I have an hx2790 and I have absolutely no problems with either SD/CF slot. Like Nurhisham said, CF might get you a better cost/size ratio. Personally, I like to use both, seeing as we have dual slots. Also, I believe that with the SD Card sizes dropping, it may be to your advantage to get a Mini or MicroSD depending on how much you can get them for. They usually come with an adapter that lets you fit them into a regular SD slot, meaning that should you prefer to upgrade to a PPC PE (hardly any support regular SD cards anymore) in the future for example, the chances of those devices supporting your memory card increases (although that might be more wishful thinking :roll: ).

thedivision
10-11-2006, 03:24 PM
The hx2400s have serious functionality problems when an SD card is inserted. They shut off, drain battery, etc. I'm not sure if the ROM/firmware fixed has resolved the issue.

Between SD and CF, which one works faster? Also, can the CF slot be used for other purposes (IO slot)?

When it comes to micro/mini SD cards.. no idea. Is this new technology? Will it work seamlessly with the hx?

Nurhisham Hussein
10-11-2006, 03:40 PM
Between SD and CF, which one works faster?

SD, but not so much you'd feel the difference.

Also, can the CF slot be used for other purposes (IO slot)?

There's actually more options for CF than there are for SD - like USB host, ethernet, and bar code scanners!

When it comes to micro/mini SD cards.. no idea. Is this new technology? Will it work seamlessly with the hx?

As far as the form factor is concerned, yes, it's relatively new. But with an adapter, there shouldn't be any problems running it in an SD slot - at least, not any more than you would with any other SD card.

thedivision
10-11-2006, 04:10 PM
I had a conversation with HP support (if anyone is interested):

Alan H says:
I would recommend a ROM update for your hx2000 series iPaq, Warning: This will remove any Data on your iPaq and restore it to factory defaults. You can find it at this link... http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/23561.html
It is important that during the ROM Update process to make sure your iPaq is powered by AC and that your computer does not go into standby. Please follow the instructions on the ROM Update page for more information.

thedivision - says:
I did the update. I am looking at buying an SD flash card... however, I am not sure which to buy if any at all. My question for you is... with the ROM update, should everything work perfectly with the SD card in the slot?

Alan H says:
Yes

thedivision - says:
I read that people who have performed the upgrade still have the same problems...

thedivision - says:
Are you aware of the problems I am referring to?

Alan H says:
I am aware but the update has fixed this problem.

I've decided on 4gb. Now I need to decide which format to go with. Essentially, I'd like to keep the CF slot open for expandability.

JesterMania
10-11-2006, 06:30 PM
The hx2400s have serious functionality problems when an SD card is inserted. They shut off, drain battery, etc. I'm not sure if the ROM/firmware fixed has resolved the issue.

A fellow forum member linked to me this fix:

http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=112638&highlight=fake+server+trick

The symptoms you described seem very much tied to this problem and has to do with ActiveSync running on your Pocket PC. Anyhow, whether you get this problem or not, this tweak is worth doing in my opinion.

thedivision
10-11-2006, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the link.

I've performed that fix already (found it on the HP site).

Personally, I am not experiencing any of the above stated problems, but I'm sure I would've if I didn't do the ROM upgrade + AS fix.

Now to decide which card to go with...

Wuat are all of my options?
CF I, CF II, SD, Micro/Mini SD (same thing?)...

JesterMania
10-12-2006, 01:45 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe most compact flash storage cards are CF I and compact flash device cards are CF II. Basically, I think any CF card fits.

As for SD cards, MiniSD is half the size of a regular SD and MicroSD is even smaller. However, both Mini and MicroSD should be backwards compatible with the standard SD interface, providing that you place them in an SD-adapter. Practically all MiniSDs I've found in stores come with an SD card adapter already. Basically, you place the Mini/MicroSD into the SD adapter (which is the size of a regular SD card) and place the adapter into your SD slot so yes, they amount to the same thing.

The reason why I brought up the topic of Mini/MicroSD is because 90% of Pocket PC phones these days only support either Mini or MicroSD. So, if you wanted your cards to carry on over to these devices, Mini/MicroSD will be the way to go. However, if your plan is to stay with your current iPAQ for some time, a regular SD card is good enough.

As for which to buy, that's purely your preference. You mentioned wanting to leave the CF open for addon cards, so go with an SD/MiniSD/MicroSD option. As mentioned before, any of these three types of SD cards should work, providing that you have an SD adapter if you choose Mini/MicroSD.

Nurhisham Hussein
10-12-2006, 01:52 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe most compact flash storage cards are CF I and compact flash device cards are CF II. Basically, I think any CF card fits.

You're absolutely right, with one difference - microdrives are also in the CFII format.

thedivision
10-12-2006, 02:23 AM
Thanks for the info. Now I know what to look for.

However, I don't think it's that simple. I've read that it's a hit-and-miss type of thing. Some cards may chose not to work. I was reading a thread on the HP support forums where people post cards that are working for them... I'll try to find it.

Thanks