View Full Version : Cannot bring Active Sync to the 'Front' - WM5, M600 and AS 4.2

Gareth Lock
10-10-2006, 09:15 AM
I have a problem with AS 4.2 on my work computer.

When I connect my Orange M600 to the work computer (XP Pro, SP2, networked) via USB it recognises the M600 on USB with the faimiliar 'bing-bong'. AS starts up in the sys tray but the wheel does not 'rotate' but stays solid green and if I move the mouse over the icon it says 'Connected'.

I can browse the PC as a mapped drive on Resco File Explorer but I cannot bring AS to the front to allow syncing to take place. As such my work computer and home computer calendars and contacts are getting further and further from being sync'd :(

Has anyone got an idea what might be wrong, or what might stopping AS from launching properly.

Regards

Darius Wey
10-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Have you tried reinstalling ActiveSync? Also, are you running Stardock's UI customisation application, WindowBlinds?

Gareth Lock
12-05-2006, 11:39 PM
Me Again!

I think I have no narrowed down the problem, but I am not sure if there is a solution because of the way I think that AS 4.2 works.

I use a docked IBM thinkpad at work which I use almost as much undocked as docked. There is a work firewall within the network (can't remember type).

To start with I installed AS4.2 and created the partnerships and no worries, the M600 and Outlook would sync. However, as soon as I undocked the machine and then tried a synch, it wouldn't work but would only produce a 'AS connection' noise, the green 'wheel' would light up but it was impossible to bring AS to the front, either by double clicking on the green wheel or going to Task Manager and bringing to the front there.

I then uninstall AS42 and then re-install and then connect the M600. Connection works but it wants a new connection partnership so I have to delete the old 'works laptop', carry on the installation and sync. First time synch, so takes a long time and usually there are some duplication errors.

The big thing that seems to be happening is that whenever I change the docking of the laptop, the AS connection is unable to be brought to the front. If I have AS re-installed in one configuration, the connection works seemlessly, but as soon as I change something it all falls around my ears.

Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening?

Regards

Darius Wey
12-06-2006, 02:54 AM
That's odd. Do you have any docking software installed on your laptop? That (strangely enough) may be conflicting with ActiveSync.