View Full Version : How user-servicable is the iPaq?

Shmanky
10-07-2006, 05:40 PM
So I'm curious about opening up my iPaq to attempt to fix the audio jack myself, but I'm worried that just by opening it up I could break it and not know how to fix it. Would opening an iPaq be manageable for someone who is already comfortable with opening up a desktop computer?

I have a Torx set and I've already taken off a few screws, but the "00 Phillips" bit stopped me from going further.

Darius Wey
10-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Simply knowing how to open up a desktop computer is not enough to know how to fix a PDA. Unless you're a qualified engineer, you should stay right away from it.

If your PDA is in trouble, have it repaired by the manufacturer or a proper service centre (e.g., Pocket PC Techs).

ADBrown
10-08-2006, 01:41 AM
So I'm curious about opening up my iPaq to attempt to fix the audio jack myself, but I'm worried that just by opening it up I could break it and not know how to fix it. Would opening an iPaq be manageable for someone who is already comfortable with opening up a desktop computer?

Handhelds aren't designed to be user servicable. To repair the audio jack, you'd need a soldering iron and a very steady hand, not to mention possibly needing a replacement jack, which is a specialty part. It's possible to repair some problems yourself, but it's best to have some kind of experience in repairing embedded electronics.

Shmanky
10-08-2006, 01:51 AM
Thanks folks. I'll resist the temptation to open up my baby and just send her in to HP or pocketpctechs.com or pdasmart.com