View Full Version : New Owner: hx2495

thedivision
10-06-2006, 04:53 AM
Hello,

I just bought a used hx2495. In terms of wires, the unit only came with the USB cradle. Will the cradle charge the PDA or will I need to buy something else. I just purchased the PDA so I would like to buy whatever I need before it arrives.

Thanks

Darius Wey
10-06-2006, 06:44 AM
I just bought a used hx2495. In terms of wires, the unit only came with the USB cradle. Will the cradle charge the PDA or will I need to buy something else. I just purchased the PDA so I would like to buy whatever I need before it arrives.

You can charge the device using the USB cradle but it's annoyingly slow, because of the limited amount of juice a USB port provides. To counter this, you may want to get one of Pocket PC Techs' (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/main~unit~HP_Compaq_iPAQ_hx2495-542~area~accessories-Power+Accessories.htm) many power accessories. It's worth the dollars spent.

thedivision
10-06-2006, 06:48 AM
You can charge the device using the USB cradle but it's annoyingly slow, because of the limited amount of juice a USB port provides. To counter this, you may want to get one of Pocket PC Techs' (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/main~unit~HP_Compaq_iPAQ_hx2495-542~area~accessories-Power+Accessories.htm) many power accessories. It's worth the dollars spent.

I noticed there are 2 wires going to the back of the cradle in some pictures. Can I used a universal ac adapter to make it work?

Darius Wey
10-06-2006, 06:50 AM
I noticed there are 2 wires going to the back of the cradle in some pictures. Can I used a universal ac adapter to make it work?

I can't recall the exact layout of the hx2495 cradle, but generally, the two cables are for USB sync and power. A universal AC adapter should work okay, as long as you ensure that you purchase one with the right connector and power rating.

thedivision
10-06-2006, 06:58 AM
Here are the two styles that I've seen:

1. http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/4932/0f1gs8.jpg

2. http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/8657/ae1ic0.jpg

1. seems to have two adapters - I'm guessing the rectangular one is meant to connect to the pda itself and the circular one is meant to connect to the cradle (one at a time)

2. the rectangular connector can connect to the pda, but what about the cradle?

What do you think?

Darius Wey
10-06-2006, 07:16 AM
Here are the two styles that I've seen:

#1: Looks separate, but also compatible with each other. You can use the charger (power adapter connected to a sync-and-charge connector) to charge the device on its own. Alternatively, you should be able to disconnect the power adapter from the sync-and-charge connector, and plug it into the cradle.

#2: This is a solution separate from the cradle. That's just a standard USB sync-and-charge cable that can be connected into a USB wall charger or a USB car charger. Neither are cradle-compatible.

thedivision
10-06-2006, 07:23 AM
So I guess I am set. I have a cradle (which I will be able to sync with) and a universal power adapter (which I will use to power the cradle). The only thing I am missing is a "sync-and-charge cable" which will come in handy when charging my pda outside of my home or perhaps in the car.

Thank you for your help.

Darius Wey
10-06-2006, 06:30 PM
So I guess I am set. I have a cradle (which I will be able to sync with) and a universal power adapter (which I will use to power the cradle). The only thing I am missing is a "sync-and-charge cable" which will come in handy when charging my pda outside of my home or perhaps in the car.

Thank you for your help.

No problem. Best of luck with it all. :)

mysteriousreddot
10-13-2006, 04:32 AM
I don't use the cradle at all, as sync'ing to my desktop got way too annoying for words. It's way slow as you'll notice if you haven't already.

The cradle can also be used to charge the battery, however, you'll find better (read: timely) results with the direct connection from the ac power source serving the bottom of the unit.