View Full Version : WM2003 OS upgrade for e750? How to?

Lex
10-06-2006, 02:18 AM
[ Moderators, this is not a cross-post. This is now a -device- issue. Feel free to delete my original question in the Software category. ]

1) I've been given a perfect condition Tosh. e750 but it's running PPC 2002. Does anyone have advice on legally obtaining an OS upgrade to WM2003 or 2003SE? It appears MS doesn't sell it on their site.
2) I currently use an iPAQ 2215 with WM2003. Is it worth switching to the e750 from the iPAQ ? Thanks !

Janak Parekh
10-06-2006, 04:17 AM
1) I've been given a perfect condition Tosh. e750 but it's running PPC 2002. Does anyone have advice on legally obtaining an OS upgrade to WM2003 or 2003SE? It appears MS doesn't sell it on their site.
Just for reference, Microsoft never sold upgrades directly. Toshiba did. You may want to consider contacting Toshiba to see if you can somehow obtain the upgrade.

2) I currently use an iPAQ 2215 with WM2003. Is it worth switching to the e750 from the iPAQ ? Thanks !
Debatable from my perspective. The e750 has a larger screen and (possibly) WiFi, but the 2215 is really a nice, compact unit. Is there something you're specifically looking for from the e750?

--janak

Lex
10-06-2006, 11:00 AM
The main thing is the 2215 has been in heavy use for two years. Works fine but it's been dropped a couple of times, batt. door is glued closed :-). The e750 never left the guy's house. It was a corporate issue he never used.

isajoo
10-06-2006, 10:44 PM
my guess is that he never used it because it isnt the greatest thing to play with... wm2002 was crazy...one of the reason that put me off ppc altogether...but then wm2003 put me back on track.

liamg
10-10-2006, 03:21 PM
I bought the upgrade from ebay from a seller called oz_3010 I think. I can look it up if you need the exact address. He has an ebay shop called the world of oz where he sells upgrades for a range of PDAs. It was simple to install with very clear instructions and very inexpensive. It's definitely worth getting the upgrade.

On the e750, I've had mine for a wee while now and apart from not having the original companion CD I've had no problems with it. I used an e330 for a while which I thought was a lovely piece of kit for my needs at the time and turned me into a Toshiba PPC devotee. I only upgraded because I needed wi-fi access for on the road emailing and it does that job perfectly.

The screen quality is very good and for my purposes, since I don't play games, it is more than adequate. Battery life is ok though the wifi can be a bit draining on resources.

Lex
10-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Thanks liamg - - I found what I believe was the OS upgrade at the Toshiba website but it wouldn't work. The .exe kept starting up but then a window presented offering to install or uninstall ActiveSync. Gave up and am staying with my iPAQ 2215 until I get a new unit in the winter.