View Full Version : Help with Network Settings

trevleyb
10-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Can someone please help explain, or point me to some documentation which explains the way the network settings are configured and how they work? I consider myself reasonably PocketPC Savy, but I am stumped as to exactly how the networking setup is supposed to work.

There are two settings called "When I connect to Work" and "When I connect to the Internet" ---- What determines which of these two settings the PocketPC Phone edition uses?

Here is my scenario of what I would like to be able to do:

1. If my WiFi is on, I just want to connect to the Internet as I can access Mail, Web etc using a standard internet connection to either my home or office Wifi router.

2. However, if I use Terminal Services (Remote Desktop) and I have WiFi on then I want to be able to engage my VPN connection as to access the internal corporate network using Remote Desktop I need to go through the VPN (I don't need the VPN for exchange access)

3. If I am not connected using WiFi then for auto-sync against Exchange I want my PocketPC to use the GPRS connection to allow push e-mail from my exchange server.

I am using a O2 Atom Exec Windows Mobile 5.0 Phone Edition.

Is there anything out there which explains how this is supposed to correctly work?

Thanks
Trevor

Nurhisham Hussein
10-06-2006, 01:35 AM
Hi Trevor,

I can't explain fully how the networking works, because I'm not sure myself. I do know however, based on the scenarios described, you're probably going to have to define a separate network configuration for each of the usage scenarios you've outlined, and switch between them manually. What complicates things is the VPN.

I get around the Work/Internet distinction by just changing the network configuration to be the same for both.