View Full Version : Future Pocket PCer...

thedivision
10-04-2006, 03:45 PM
I've been searching for a good pocket pc community... I think I've found it.

I plan on buying a PDA by then end of the month and I have a few questions.

1. First of all, I've read that PDAs are dead technology. What are your thoughts on this?
2. I'm a gadget guy and I intend on using this PDA to its full potential... I'm definately a tweaker. I was looking at the iPaq hx2495. Any pros/cons to this model over others?
3. Is there something in WM5 or 2003 that will let me reset the PDA to factory settings (I plan on buying a used one and would like everything to be set to default)?
4. I've read a bit about WM5 vs. 2003. I believe its possible to downgrade, so which is better?

Thanks a lot!

isajoo
10-04-2006, 10:38 PM
welcome...

1. DEAD is such a harsh word...more LIKE....Expensive, lots of wasted time fixing and frustrating is more of an explaination why people way it is DEAD... it is not the best user freindly device at all times.

2.most ppcs with either wm2003 or wm5 will be tweakable and customizable.

3.wm2003 have a hard reset that let u go back to factory settings....sometimes it will even do this at time when u dont want it to...thats one of the frustrating parts. :wink:

4.i use wm2003...works great...others say wm5 is better...all based on personal preference and availability...mines does not upgrade.

there were a few bugs with wm5, not sure if they were all fixed.

enjoy...its going to be an interesting journey.

The Silverdude
10-05-2006, 01:20 AM
Well I can definitely say that you CAN reset a WM5 device back to factory specs just like the previous OS's, since I've (unfortunately) had to do it a few times. Each version of the OS has its advantages & disadvantages, so you might want to figure out exactly what you want your device to do and then match your needs to what is available.

I don't know the specs on the device you are referring to, but if you want to get a device on the cheap that has still acceptable specs I'm sure you can't go wrong with a Dell x50v or x51v. I still use my Ipaq h2215 (3 years old and ticking) which runs on WM2003 and can do practically everything any modern PPC can do. For example: use it as a universal remote control using Nevo, play movies from a spacious CF card, connect to the internet with a Wifi card or Bluetooth-equipped cell phone, etc. I'm sure many other PPC users have a favorite past device they can recommend as well, so ask around!

patrickj
10-05-2006, 05:29 AM
I don't think PDAs are dying. Straightup PDAs - i.e not converged phone / PDA devices - look destined to represent a shrinking percentage of the market, but they're not going to disappear anytime real soon I don't think.

Converged devices are also really PDAs, just evvolved versions of them. I believe the future's still plenty bright ...

JustinGTP
10-05-2006, 08:16 AM
I think that devices more like the Blackberry may be taking
more of the market share, but only because they have the
built in phone, internet and email capabilities. Companies are
still selling and making PDAs, so they aren't dead yet. I haven't
used mine in a while though, I used it mainly for school and
haven't had the need. My cellphone has a calendar in it, and I
find I need and use a calendar the most so why not have it
on something I always have with me. Well, my PDA's battery
died so I lost everything and was too lazy to reinstall because
I didn't have a backup. I'm reinstalling everything right now
actually haha. Good luck, they are really fun!

Menneisyys
10-05-2006, 08:25 AM
. I've read a bit about WM5 vs. 2003. I believe its possible to downgrade, so which is better?

Go for WM5. It's much more stable, much more thought-out and will still be supported for long. Just make sure you get a "native" MW5 device, NOT an upgraded Dell Axim x50(v) or iPAQ hx.

PetiteFlower
10-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Oh and if you buy one with WM5, you can NOT downgrade it to 2003.

Brad Adrian
10-05-2006, 11:56 PM
First of all, welcome to the Thoughts site. You're right; you have found THE premier community for Pocket PC users (although I may be a little biased).

Today's devices are capable of doing amazing things, and are much closer to being "notebook replacements" than they were only a few years ago. I would definitely lean toward WM5, especially now that it's been around for awhile and is better understood. If you really want to get the most from a Windows Mobile device, be sure to learn as much about the breadth of applications available as you can by visiting sites like MobiHand, Handango and PocketGear. Also, consider some useful accessories like a Bluetooth keyboard or GPS unit; they can do more for your user experience than you might imagine.

Most importantly, come back to this site often and post as many questions as you like. You won't find a group of fellow enthusiasts more eager to help anywhere.

thedivision
10-06-2006, 03:39 AM
Thanks a lot guys.

This is the model I was looking at: http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/store_access.do?product_code=FA674B%23ABA&template_type=product_detail&jumpid=oc_R1002_USENC-001_HP%20iPAQ%20hx2495%20Pocket%20PC&lang=en&cc=us

It has both CF and SD card slots.. I was wondering if you can use both at the same time (4gb+4gb=8gb). Anyone have any exerience with this?

Also, how is the speed?

On another note, I'm pretty sure my decision lies between the Axim x51v and the iPaq hx2495.

Thanks again.

Janak Parekh
10-06-2006, 04:23 AM
It has both CF and SD card slots.. I was wondering if you can use both at the same time (4gb+4gb=8gb). Anyone have any exerience with this?
You can certainly keep both CF and SD cards inserted and use either -- they appear as different names in File Explorer and in programs. As to whether you can use both at the exact same time, I'd guess so, but I've never tried that on any Pocket PC.

On another note, I'm pretty sure my decision lies between the Axim x51v and the iPaq hx2495.
Well, the x51v has a very nice VGA screen, which the hx2495 does not. What does the hx2495 have going for it that the x51v doesn't?

--janak

isajoo
10-06-2006, 05:56 AM
go for the x51v...dell always has sales coming and going.... u could pick one up for 25% less than the hp and plus u get more in a smaller device... i would go for the VGA one.

Nurhisham Hussein
10-06-2006, 07:21 AM
As to whether you can use both at the exact same time, I'd guess so, but I've never tried that on any Pocket PC.

Of course you can - otherwise you can't copy a file over from one to the other.

thedivision
10-06-2006, 07:27 AM
I picked up the hx2495 for a good price.

Would it be wise to use a 4gb card (or perhaps 2 of them) and load it up with media for in-car entertainment? Will the pda support cards this big?

Thanks

Nurhisham Hussein
10-06-2006, 07:44 AM
The 4GB CF should be fine - I use two 8GB CF cards myself. The 4GB SD might be more of a problem - support for these are often a case of trial and error, since the original SD specification didn't allow for cards over 2GB in size.

thedivision
10-06-2006, 07:49 AM
Would it be a good idea to use it as a media player in the car? Is there some media player software out there where I can take advantage of the touch screen with some big buttons (easier to navigate while driving)?

Nurhisham Hussein
10-06-2006, 08:03 AM
Would it be a good idea to use it as a media player in the car?

Depends what you mean by media - for music, certainly.

Is there some media player software out there where I can take advantage of the touch screen with some big buttons (easier to navigate while driving)?

I use MortPlayer (http://www.sto-helit.de/modules/edito/content.php?id=28) for mp3s (it has a special skin for in-car use), and TCPMP (http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/about) for video. The former (as you'll find) is really a personal preference - there're a lot of decent players that can do what you want. I'd warn against using Windows Media Player in conjunction with big storage cards - it tries to read all available storage for media files on start up, which can take an enormous amount of time with multi-GB cards.

TCPMP is the numero uno media player for video on the Windows Mobile platform. Both MortPlayer and TCPMP are freeware by the way.

Janak Parekh
10-06-2006, 03:44 PM
As to whether you can use both at the exact same time, I'd guess so, but I've never tried that on any Pocket PC.

Of course you can - otherwise you can't copy a file over from one to the other.
D'oh! (On the other hand, perhaps memory accesses are being interleaved. But yes, you're right, it shouldn't be an issue. What was I thinking? ;))

--janak

thedivision
10-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the info. Yes, I plan on using it mostly for music in the car. I will check out that program you mentioned. Basically, I need it to be easy to operate. I cannot be using the stylus and squinting at the unit everytime I want to change a song while driving.

Well I can definitely say that you CAN reset a WM5 device back to factory specs just like the previous OS's, since I've (unfortunately) had to do it a few times.

Could you please instruct me on doing this as this is the first thing I want to do when the pda arrives.

Thanks

isajoo
10-06-2006, 05:32 PM
tcpmp is good for both audio and video... it has the option to use hardware buttons to select songs/videos and is fully customizable as per user.

Nurhisham Hussein
10-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Could you please instruct me on doing this as this is the first thing I want to do when the pda arrives.

That's unfortunately device specific, but if I remember iPaqs, it involves at least three hands to do it!!

Mark Kenepp
10-06-2006, 10:21 PM
Regarding the hard reset,

Won't the device arrive at factory settings?

Unless you are getting a used device, I don't see anything to gain by performing a hard reset first.

Janak Parekh
10-06-2006, 10:32 PM
HP calls this a clean reset on WM5 devices. This thread (http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=977121&admit=-682735245+1160170329254+28353475) on HP.com discusses it.

--janak

Joelacrane
10-07-2006, 05:57 AM
I've got an x51v and it is simply awesome. Its nice to know that i own what is considered to be the best Pocket PC on the market, and I'm 17!!!

Conduits Pocket Player is clearly the best commercial player around. It is 20 dollars, and while it doesnt have big bottons a-plenty on the screen, you can configure the player to be completely used via hard buttons and softkeys. I'll be happy to give you a better explanation if needed.

The screen on the x51v is very very freakin' insanely awesome and cool. It is very sharp, clear and bright. QVGA (Quarter VGA) screens just look terrible to me now. I mainly went for the x51v because of the microphone and speaker positioning. I can hold the unit upside down and use for to make phone calls with Skype!!!! Isn't that awesome?!

I just love it. I'm such a nerd.

Stupid cell phone users. You suck.