View Full Version : Connecting to Wireless Router

numb
10-03-2006, 12:11 PM
For some reason, recently everytime I try to connect my Ipaq 5550 to my ADSL wireless router, the Ipaq tells me its found a new network, asks whether I'm connecting to The Internet or Work, then when I select Internet, it asks for a key.
I've got WEP enabled on the router, and can put the key into the Ipaq and it connects OK, but I didn't used to have to do this....it seemed to remember the key.
I've got access control on the router, and the Ipaq is in the trusted list.

Any ideas?

kuifje_ppct
10-08-2006, 12:36 PM
I think I have the same kind of prolem. When my axim 51v tries to connect to my wireless router, sometimes it says it's discovered a new network or can't connect because the WEP key is wrong. When I check the settings of the connection, the WEP-key field is empty, and the "obtain WEP key automatically" is checked. And I have to re-enter my WEP key. So apparently it often (but not always!) "forgets" my WEP key, and I have to reenter it which is a real pain.

It reminds me of another problem I had, where after every power off, the backlight time-out was set to 15 secs. I solved that by removing a registry key, so maybe there is a "forget WEP" registry key but I haven't managed to find it.

Anyone with more ideas?

Brad Adrian
10-09-2006, 11:37 PM
Is it possible that your network got bumped from the top of your network list, and that's why it thinks it's new? Or, perhaps you're connecting to a different network in-between and that's messing up the prioritization of the networks?

kuifje_ppct
10-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Hi Brad,

thanks for taking the time to reply. i'm not completely sure if your "just chackin" remarks were in reply to my post or the initial one (or both).

I don't think my home network gets bumped of the top of the list. At anytime at home there are no more than two or three networks of my neighbours in range.

Furthermore my home network is the only wireless network I connect to. There is also a wireless network at work, but I can't connect to it (only the company standard laptops for security reasons).

While we're at it, could someone explain to me the following (probably very simple) question: why is it, that while my WEP key is 26 characters, I only see like 10 (didn't check) asterisks in the WEP key area box?

Nurhisham Hussein
10-13-2006, 01:22 AM
While we're at it, could someone explain to me the following (probably very simple) question: why is it, that while my WEP key is 26 characters, I only see like 10 (didn't check) asterisks in the WEP key area box?

It's a security feature - WinXP does the same thing. This way, nobody can guess how long your password is by just having a look.

kuifje_ppct
10-24-2006, 10:32 PM
OK, I thought it was something like this. Hoever, on the connection issue, I have noticed that when I have connecting problem, the settings page of the server assign IP address in the Dell Axim X51 WLAN wireless adapter shows an IPV6 Ip address!

Do you think this may be the problem? Does anyone know how this is possible? Is there something on my router I should change? I presume I could go for as static IP, but I'd prefer to solve the real problem

Thanks in advance!

kuifje_ppct
10-26-2006, 10:27 PM
ok, I found a post on aximsite: the ipv6 (jibberish starting with fe80) is what you see when the router does not provide an ip. pobbably because of interference. changing channels asn't worked yet for me though